'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Hay bags

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2008-08-16 3:57 PM
10 replies, 6122 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Horse Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

wwrgirl
Reg. Aug 2008
Posted 2008-08-12 7:46 PM (#89594)
Subject: Hay bags

What is a good brand of hay bags?  We seem to detroy the ones we have pretty quickly.  Is there a better brand that last better?  Thanks

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
Sheryl
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2008-08-12 8:13 PM (#89597 - in reply to #89594)
Subject: RE: Hay bags

Veteran

Wrangler hay bags have held up the best for me and they have been the easiest to load.  I've had two for several years.  I only use them when we go camping though.
rose
Reg. Feb 2004
Posted 2008-08-12 8:26 PM (#89598 - in reply to #89594)

We buy them by the dozen (price break) from Country Supply. If they last one season, we are happy.
Saddlebredlover
Reg. Dec 2005
Posted 2008-08-12 9:05 PM (#89601 - in reply to #89594)

Regular

Hi from Iowa!

My neighbor and I have invented a remedy for all your canvas hay bag troubles!  Don't throw your old ones away.  After they go bad and begin to tear, keep them.  Load your hay in the old canvas bags and then put them inside a hay net. 

I stopped using the rope hay bags because they're so hard to get the hay into them, but it's not hard to put the canvas bags inside them after you've loaded them with hay.  I think my neighbor permenently keeps her canvas bag inside her hay net.  She's cut our her hey net knots where the canvas bag opening is and it works great.  Natalee

Dunoir
Reg. Sep 2005
Posted 2008-08-13 6:49 AM (#89626 - in reply to #89594)

Elite Veteran

I like the ones from Country Supply as well.  they come in navy or green and will hold 3-4 pads at a time.  Pretty cheap at only about $10 or $11. I use them everyday and haven't replaced one yet in one year's worth of use.

But I just ordered one from Scneiders that has a zipper in the top - I plan on using it in the trailer as my horse tends pull it out and it lands all over the floor, same in the stall.  It also has a ring on the back so I can clip the bottom half of the bag so it won't twist around.  It was pricey at $21, but I think it may solve several issues.

Edited by Dunoir 2008-08-13 6:51 AM
wwrgirl
Reg. Aug 2008
Posted 2008-08-13 7:16 AM (#89628 - in reply to #89594)

thanks for the insight, I was thinking buying in bulk is the way to go.  I also looked at the one from Schneiders with the zipper and really thought about it but them I thought with my luck the zipper will bite the dust.  thanks again
ponytammy
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2008-08-13 12:41 PM (#89655 - in reply to #89594)

Elite Veteran

After going through many types of hay bags with my overzealous hay eating horse, I have had very good results using Classic Equine Hay bags.

They are large and can hold up to 3 flakes of hay. I really like the velrco top closure and wide square openings. And the built in adjustable straps work very good in all kinds of stall/pen settings. The different hanging configurations allows  the hay openings in to stay in front of her without turning around and blocking off the hay. 

She hasn't torn threw this brand yet - and the bag is going on three years with lots of use. Here is what they look like:http://www.valleyvet.com/ct_detail.html?pgguid=93e6d305-667b-4ca1-a0b6-2f9cf3b81e43

PolyRope Hay bags can be disastorous - I've freed a horse who got his front leg twisted and caught in the rope and created one heck of a wound, so I don't care for ploy rope bags. I think the cotton rope hay bags are a bit safer, but still prefer to use an enclosed bag with feed opening.

I use the Horse.com hay bags in my trailer. The narrow size fits nicely in the corner of the mangers. Although, I only stuff about two flakes in these bags since anymore hay causes a bulge and more mess. http://www.horse.com/Farm-Ranch-Supplies/Hay-Bags-Racks/Pro-Craft-Hay-Feed-Bag-BSW22.html I don't use these at the campsite because my horses try to eat from the top and tear the bags - which for some reason they don't do in the trailer.... maybe the trailer ceiling stops them.

Terri
Reg. Jan 2004
Posted 2008-08-13 2:37 PM (#89662 - in reply to #89655)

Expert

I don't like hay nets.  I only use the hay bags in the trailer except for one horse.  I've got a mare that can get her leg up into the top opening.  The first time she did it, when we stopped for gas I found her standing 3 legged with a foreleg in the top opening and out the feeding opening.  She doesn't get hay anymore in the trailer no matter how long the trip is.
stablemom
Reg. Jun 2007
Posted 2008-08-13 3:22 PM (#89665 - in reply to #89594)

Veteran

I am not  real keen on giving hay in the trailer either. I don't like the fact that it blows around and can get in the nose and eyes if not wearing a mask.

I like the canvas bags for other times.

Really want one of the nicer ones with the velcro and webbing but haven't wanted to spend that much on them yet.

gabz
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2008-08-14 1:42 PM (#89710 - in reply to #89655)

Expert

Originally written by ponytammy on 2008-08-13 1:41 PM

After going through many types of hay bags with my overzealous hay eating horse, I have had very good results using Classic Equine Hay bags.

They are large and can hold up to 3 flakes of hay. I really like the velrco top closure and wide square openings. And the built in adjustable straps work very good in all kinds of stall/pen settings. The different hanging configurations allows  the hay openings in to stay in front of her without turning around and blocking off the hay. 

She hasn't torn threw this brand yet - and the bag is going on three years with lots of use. Here is what they look like:http://www.valleyvet.com/ct_detail.html?pgguid=93e6d305-667b-4ca1-a0b6-2f9cf3b81e43

PolyRope Hay bags can be disastorous - I've freed a horse who got his front leg twisted and caught in the rope and created one heck of a wound, so I don't care for ploy rope bags. I think the cotton rope hay bags are a bit safer, but still prefer to use an enclosed bag with feed opening.

I use the Horse.com hay bags in my trailer. The narrow size fits nicely in the corner of the mangers. Although, I only stuff about two flakes in these bags since anymore hay causes a bulge and more mess. http://www.horse.com/Farm-Ranch-Supplies/Hay-Bags-Racks/Pro-Craft-Hay-Feed-Bag-BSW22.html I don't use these at the campsite because my horses try to eat from the top and tear the bags - which for some reason they don't do in the trailer.... maybe the trailer ceiling stops them.

The ones from Classic Equine are GREAT. They have 2 straps at the top also, and I've found that when picketing, I can use one strap to hang the bag, and I put the second strap around the post that the picket line is attached to. It keeps the bag from flipping around backwards.

The rods incased in the fabric at the top also keep the bag squared up. If you need to slow down a horse's intake, you can stuff a hay net and put that inside the Classic Equine bag.

Don't buy the cheap imitations. They do not have the 2, adjustable straps at the top.

randemtam
Reg. Jun 2007
Posted 2008-08-16 3:57 PM (#89826 - in reply to #89710)

Extreme Veteran

I second this post....those are the best hay bags I have found yet.

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)