'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
camper pulling two-horse?

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2009-01-19 5:28 PM
9 replies, 5879 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

clayton991
Reg. Aug 2008
Posted 2008-08-03 8:46 AM (#88874)
Subject: camper pulling two-horse?

New User

I have a slide-in camper with an overhang....I want to tow a 2 horse bumper pull...any recommendations/comments?

Edited by clayton991 2008-08-03 8:47 AM
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
retento
Reg. Aug 2004
Posted 2008-08-03 8:59 AM (#88875 - in reply to #88874)
Subject: RE: camper pulling two-horse?

Expert

Lengthen the tongue of the trailer the same length of the overhang of the slide in camper..... DO NOT EXTEND THE TRUCK HITCH!!  It's a Physics thing.

Read these posts...

http://www.horsetrailerworld.com/forum/thread-view.asp?threadid=8314

http://www.horsetrailerworld.com/forum/thread-view.asp?threadid=8906

Angelmay84
Reg. Jan 2008
Posted 2008-08-03 9:31 AM (#88876 - in reply to #88874)

Veteran

I will beg to differ.  If you use the torklift superhitch, you are getting a tested, proven, load rated solution to your problem.  When you extend the tongue of your trailer, you aren't quite sure of what you're getting.  Hopefully the person who does the job does it right.  Now, all that having been said, I had a tongue extension put on my trailer. They beefed up the trailer frame, then they added the extension. It was a separate piece that had a ball that went into the coupler, bolted to the frame, and was built like a brick poop house.  However.....I was always worried because I didn't know what that hitch was rated for since it was basically someone's home project. It worked fine for a steel 4 horse stock trailer.  My camper overhang was a GOOD 3 feet.  Big.  If I had the money I'd do the torklift superhitch.  I had a lot more bounce of the trailer when the tongue extension was in place.   With torklift The research and numbers are all there.  If I had a new truck and trailer worth THOUSANDS of dollars I would not cut corners on the hitch situation.  Do some asking on truck camper forums, and the satisfaction with the torklift superhitch is overwhealming.  I believe they even have a picture or video of a truck pulling a horse trailer with a truck camper on their website.  You will need to use a weight distribution system though....if I remember correctly.   This is just my honest opinion from experience.  I've never been one to question physics, but someone from torklift must have.  There are LOTS of people using these hitch systems without problem.

Amanda

clayton991
Reg. Aug 2008
Posted 2008-08-03 9:33 AM (#88877 - in reply to #88874)

New User

Thanks. Read the threads.
retento
Reg. Aug 2004
Posted 2008-08-03 10:16 AM (#88881 - in reply to #88876)

Expert

Originally written by Angelmay84 on 2008-08-03 10:31 AM

I will beg to differ.  If you use the torklift superhitch, you are getting a tested, proven, load rated solution to your problem.  When you extend the tongue of your trailer, you aren't quite sure of what you're getting.  Hopefully the person who does the job does it right.  Now, all that having been said, I had a tongue extension put on my trailer. They beefed up the trailer frame, then they added the extension. It was a separate piece that had a ball that went into the coupler, bolted to the frame, and was built like a brick poop house.  However.....I was always worried because I didn't know what that hitch was rated for since it was basically someone's home project. It worked fine for a steel 4 horse stock trailer.  My camper overhang was a GOOD 3 feet.  Big.  If I had the money I'd do the torklift superhitch.  I had a lot more bounce of the trailer when the tongue extension was in place.   With torklift The research and numbers are all there.  If I had a new truck and trailer worth THOUSANDS of dollars I would not cut corners on the hitch situation.  Do some asking on truck camper forums, and the satisfaction with the torklift superhitch is overwhealming.  I believe they even have a picture or video of a truck pulling a horse trailer with a truck camper on their website.  You will need to use a weight distribution system though....if I remember correctly.   This is just my honest opinion from experience.  I've never been one to question physics, but someone from torklift must have.  There are LOTS of people using these hitch systems without problem.

Amanda

http://www.torklift.com/p.php?w_page=superhitch

That looks like the tail wagging the dog..... No thanks, I'll pass on that "quick fix".

Edited by retento 2008-08-03 10:18 AM
clayton991
Reg. Aug 2008
Posted 2008-08-03 11:28 AM (#88889 - in reply to #88877)

New User

Thanks Amanda....

I haven't made a decision yet, but I have spoken to two people who are using the Superhitch successfully. But....there are limitations....road dips, reduced speed in the wind, and plain old careful driving (don't weave!...leave the beer at home!). So, I'm continuing my research, but my options are limited. The trailer is new so I won't be welding anything untested onto it, and the camper is new so I won't be selling it.

Thanks again,

Rich

dbelling
Reg. Aug 2005
Posted 2009-01-19 3:34 PM (#97790 - in reply to #88874)

Regular

I have a short bed with an 8.5 ft. camper.  Instead of buying the torklift I had a fabricator extend the tongue of the trailer.  I have put many miles on this setup with no sway and no problems.  It saved about $400.00 going this route.  I went with the torklift tiedowns, and added airbags.  The airbags were definately needed and make all the difference when steering and leveling the truck with that much weight.  debbie
gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2009-01-19 4:30 PM (#97796 - in reply to #88874)

Expert

I carried campers and pulled BP trailers for many years. Even with the camper specials and trailer towing package options, a stock SRW truck does some bobbing and weaving under certain conditions. You will be down on your helpers with the combination, and with any corner or wind, the truck will sway. Air bags or Timbrens are a must for stability. You can do a search for the comparisons.

Extending the hitch makes matters worse, it adds additional weight behind the axle in greater amounts than the actual tongue weight. It's risky finding a competent welder to cut up a good trailer, but adding the extra length to the tongue is a safer way to go. You will only increase the turning radius of the trailer and add a small amount to the tongue weight. If the conversion is done correctly, it won't effect your trailer's stability or towing capabilities.

With the combination, you will be up against most 3/4 and 1 ton trucks' weight carrying capabilities. Be careful in cross winds and jack knifing when backing up.

BOL  Gard

ponytammy
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2009-01-19 4:41 PM (#97797 - in reply to #88874)

Elite Veteran

Is your tow vehicle SRW or DRW?
dbelling
Reg. Aug 2005
Posted 2009-01-19 5:28 PM (#97801 - in reply to #97797)

Regular

My truck is 2006 Dodge Ram Mega Cab with a short bed.  It is not a dually.  The airbags are a must.  I started without airbags and the truck was not level when loaded and the steering was off.  I weighed everything and am a small amount over on payload and that is where the airbags have helped.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)