'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
matching trailer wiring connector to truck?

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2007-08-18 9:52 PM
9 replies, 3656 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

pgentles
Reg. Apr 2007
Posted 2007-08-13 10:03 PM (#65784)
Subject: matching trailer wiring connector to truck?

Hope you'll bear with me as I just had an electrical fire in my engine while my trailer was hooked up . . .

I'm looking at a used truck that has a 7 way connector.  My trailer has a 6 way.  What would be the pros/cons/costs of having my trailer changed to match vs using an adapter?  Don't know for sure that the trailer wiring/wiring harness was the culprit but I'm fairly nervous now to not have the potential for a repeat.

Thanks

Peggy

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
RoperChick
Reg. Dec 2005
Posted 2007-08-13 10:53 PM (#65788 - in reply to #65784)
Subject: RE: matching trailer wiring connector to truck?

Veteran

Sorry for your truck troubles. I feel your pain.  We had an electrical fire in my husband's Triumph Spitfire many years ago and it did a lot of damage.  Thank goodness his dad was an electrical engineer and was able to re-wire the whole car.

Either will work, the advantage of the adapter is that you have more flexibility if you haul your trailer with another truck that has the 6 way connector.  The disadvantage is that the adapter can fall off.  It happened to us one time when we were using an adapter.  We had to find an all night auto parts store and my hubby had to change the plug on the truck in a parking lot at around midnight, not a big deal, but definitely no fun.

whoaboy
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2007-08-14 10:39 AM (#65811 - in reply to #65784)

Regular

I used an adapter for years and never lost the adaptr, in fact the opposite, it was hard to get it off! I did have to replace the adapter one time because I left it on continuously for years and one year I had to get it replaced.
crowleysridgegirl
Reg. Apr 2005
Posted 2007-08-14 11:56 AM (#65818 - in reply to #65811)

Expert

We have also used adapters without any problems.

pgentles
Reg. Apr 2007
Posted 2007-08-14 7:22 PM (#65843 - in reply to #65784)

Thanks for the responses.  So I take it that there isn't anything that goes wrong when you use an adapter - ie all the wires work correctly?
BigT
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2007-08-14 8:48 PM (#65847 - in reply to #65784)

Extreme Veteran

Whe I hooked up my truck ( 7 way) with a new Sooner trailer(6 way) I had a regular adapter, it didn't work. I  had to make a custom adapter.

The typical wiring for a 6-way round is  Blue...brakes   Black...Ground   Brown...taillights  Green...right turn  Yellow.. left turn Red... accessory

A 7-pole RV connector is different.   White...ground  Blue...brakes  Green...taillights  Black...battery  Red...left turn  Brown...Right turn  Yellow... Auxilary

Now you have to find out if the manufacture of your trailer is following the RV wiring, or the common wiring. I would take the time to get it hard wired.

crowleysridgegirl
Reg. Apr 2005
Posted 2007-08-14 9:16 PM (#65849 - in reply to #65784)

Expert

Wouldn't your fuses in your truck blow first? Looks to me like when you plug it up,it would heat up quick if it wasn't right,and the fuses would blow on the truck.That's the whole idea  to prevent a fire from being that easy to happen.
Roland Hinkle
Reg. Mar 2006
Posted 2007-08-14 9:20 PM (#65850 - in reply to #65784)

Roland Hinkle
Reg. Mar 2006
Posted 2007-08-14 9:29 PM (#65854 - in reply to #65784)

Sorry for the earlier blank response.  In flying, we refer to that as a short circuit between the earphones!

But I digress, on to your problem.  Your new truck will probably be "smart" enough to keep your trailer from burning it down.  At least I hope so.

My suggestion is to just put a 7 pin plug on your existing 6 pin harness.  You'll only be missing backup lights from my experience.  Someone else has already provided the color code and e-trailer.com has similar help.

My '96 trailer came to me with a 6 pin and I put a 7 pin plug on it from WallyMart.  About $8 as I recall.

Good luck! And, as we say in enginnering, "What can possibly go wrong?".

pgentles
Reg. Apr 2007
Posted 2007-08-18 9:52 PM (#66080 - in reply to #65784)

Thanks for the responses!

Peggy

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World