'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Trailer Brakes ,what should they feal like?

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2007-04-03 1:30 PM
9 replies, 3977 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

Its all about horses
Reg. Feb 2007
Posted 2007-03-20 9:41 PM (#57422)
Subject: Trailer Brakes ,what should they feal like?

I have been trailering for many years and never had a problem with my trailer brakes. I now have a new Trails West BP trailer and I just don't seam to be able to get the brakes right. They work just fine but I just don't know what they should feel like in the vehicle when towing. Either they are really sensitive or my Brake Box is off. It worked fine on my old trailer. When I apply the brakes It feels as if the trailer is slowing the vehicle way to much or the trailer is stooping way to fast and I am afraid of hurting my horses nose. Any suggestions on what the brakes should feel like or what I need to do? Thanks

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
IcePonyGoddess
Reg. Nov 2006
Posted 2007-03-20 9:57 PM (#57423 - in reply to #57422)
Subject: RE: Trailer Brakes ,what should they feal like?

Elite Veteran

apply the brakes It feels as if the trailer is slowing the vehicle way to much or the trailer is stooping way to fast and I am afraid of hurting my horses nose.

Well....I am not pro. But could your trailer plug not be wired correctly for your new trailer?

Did you take your empty trailer out to set the brake controller to match the new trailer's needs?

You may want to do that. Is your new trailer lighter?

Its all about horses
Reg. Feb 2007
Posted 2007-03-20 10:06 PM (#57426 - in reply to #57422)

Trailer wire is corect, Husband is an electrition and works on alot of trailers.  The traielr is the same weght as the old trailer.  Did adjust the braks in the empty trailer and also when it was full as the trailer was not stoping on the empty setting.  The bigest thing is when I release the brake I get a little jerk from the trailer like it was stuck. 
hosspuller
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2007-03-20 10:10 PM (#57427 - in reply to #57422)

Expert

Originally written by Its all about horses on 2007-03-20 8:41 PM

I have been trailering for many years and never had a problem with my trailer brakes. I now have a new Trails West BP trailer and I just don't seam to be able to get the brakes right. They work just fine but I just don't know what they should feel like in the vehicle when towing. Either they are really sensitive or my Brake Box is off. It worked fine on my old trailer. When I apply the brakes It feels as if the trailer is slowing the vehicle way to much or the trailer is stooping way to fast and I am afraid of hurting my horses nose. Any suggestions on what the brakes should feel like or what I need to do? Thanks

Sounds like you need to adjust your brake controller to the new trailer.  It should "feel" like your trailer isn't there.  Then your trailer brakes are matching the truck's braking effort.  Post what kind and model # your controller is... Perhaps someone can direct you on adjusting it.

ben0570
Reg. Mar 2007
Posted 2007-03-20 10:31 PM (#57431 - in reply to #57422)

On most electric brake controllers there are two adjustments. One on front of the box to give a direct current the other is usually on the drivers side near the back of the unit this is the one of how fast the current is administered. Most people forget about this one but pulling different trailers often times requires adjusting this also. Hope I could be of some help.  Ben

greyhorse
Reg. Nov 2005
Posted 2007-03-21 12:15 PM (#57454 - in reply to #57422)

Extreme Veteran

I've found that the jerk when you release the brake happens from the controller/brake pedal (I get a flash from the light on the brake controller)...... at least on one of mine. It doesn't do it all the time so it's hard to figure out what the problem is exactly.
Spooler
Reg. Aug 2006
Posted 2007-03-21 1:16 PM (#57458 - in reply to #57422)

Extreme Veteran

This sounds like the normal time duration type brake controller.  You always have to adjust it, slow traffic, highway speeds, wet roads, etc.  The best thing you can do is get a new controller.  A brakesmart is the best, then the Jordan 2020 which are not being manufactured at this time, or a Prodigy in that order.
ArabHorseLover
Reg. May 2006
Posted 2007-04-03 9:35 AM (#58384 - in reply to #57422)

Regular

Spooler, I'm having a similar problem with my new brake controller and trailer. Are you saying it's the type of brake controller causing the problem? The brakesmart option you mentioned seemed like overkill for me as I don't have many of the other things it controls. Is there another brand that's a good brake controller and does just that?
Spooler
Reg. Aug 2006
Posted 2007-04-03 11:06 AM (#58394 - in reply to #57422)

Extreme Veteran

I don't have any of the other stuff it controls either.  I bought it because it will make your combo stop as one via brake pressure.  Not a an accelerometer or timing based unit. It works very smooth. I am very, very, very, happy I sucked it up and got a Brakesmart controller. If the price is too high get a Prodigy. It's the next best unit.
terri s
Reg. Sep 2005
Posted 2007-04-03 1:30 PM (#58399 - in reply to #57422)

Elite Veteran

I had that same thing happen and mine turned out to be a wire that had come loose in the plug. It would intermittently short out, creating the jerk and grab thing you are describing.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)