'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Marine batteries....info?

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2006-07-27 6:48 AM
9 replies, 3198 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

Gaelic
Reg. Apr 2006
Posted 2006-07-26 10:54 AM (#45439)
Subject: Marine batteries....info?

Regular

I don't know what I would do without this board!

We are discussing installing Marine Deep Cycle batteries to power some small stuff in our homemade LQ (unfinished!). Now the big question...where to put them? Do they have to be housed in a special place? Can they be placed out of the way, say underneath a wooden bench? I know lots of people install them under the gooseneck, is there a particular reason for this?

Any info greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
CTR Rider
Reg. Jan 2006
Posted 2006-07-26 11:00 AM (#45440 - in reply to #45439)
Subject: RE: Marine batteries....info?

Veteran

You want to be able to access them to check water level and to attach charger to them when necessary. Most I have seen are under the gooseneck.
HWBar
Reg. Nov 2005
Posted 2006-07-26 11:33 AM (#45444 - in reply to #45439)

Expert

The reason the batteries are put ouside is when a battery is charging it creates heat. The heat causes a battery to gas (vent). That creates fumes and the fumes are flamable. So now you know the rest of the story.
maccwall
Reg. May 2004
Posted 2006-07-26 11:51 AM (#45446 - in reply to #45444)

Extreme Veteran

You can place them inside but if you do that make sure they are sealed and vented. They do make container specifically for this and vents that you can get at an RV place. As HWBar said, the fumes that a battery produces are flamable and toxic. Best place I would say would be outside. Besides, you have alot more space outide than inside anyway so why not utilize it.

Just my .02ยข

Reg
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2006-07-26 11:56 AM (#45448 - in reply to #45444)

Expert

Originally written by HWBar on 2006-07-26 11:33 AM

The reason the batteries are put ouside is when a battery is charging it creates heat. The heat causes a battery to gas (vent). That creates fumes and the fumes are flamable. So now you know the rest of the story.

I've seen that rationale too (-:
The amount of heat is trivial, the rate at which explosive gasses are produced is so small that it can be ignored, the amount is really small and the hydrogen floats up and away. Unless you're charging many hundreds of amps and have naked flame or sparks around there is nothing to worry about as long as they're vented.

What I think is FAR more important is that the terminals are protected from accidental shorting. Unprotected batteries on the floor of a tack room where bits are likely to get dangled on them would be a BAD idea, for example. Do have top side access to them for checking fluid level and topping up.
Gaelic
Reg. Apr 2006
Posted 2006-07-26 12:05 PM (#45451 - in reply to #45439)

Regular

Eeek thank you.

Ok. We were planning to put them in the bottom of the wooden bench seat in the LQ. The mention of "flammable" came up with me, as (a) the box is wooden and not vented, and (b) we were hoping to use a Propane Heater on cool evenings to take the chill off...ergo "Spark", ergo "BOOM".

So...ahem...where do I get one of these nifty boxes to hold them under the gooseneck? Do they have to be enclosed, or can we leave them exposed? Must they be taken inside in the winter (a little chilly here in Canada)?

Many thanks....
hosspuller
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2006-07-26 12:25 PM (#45452 - in reply to #45451)

Expert

Originally written by Gaelic on 2006-07-26 11:05 AM

Eeek thank you. Ok. We were planning to put them in the bottom of the wooden bench seat in the LQ. The mention of "flammable" came up with me, as (a) the box is wooden and not vented, and (b) we were hoping to use a Propane Heater on cool evenings to take the chill off...ergo "Spark", ergo "BOOM". So...ahem...where do I get one of these nifty boxes to hold them under the gooseneck? Do they have to be enclosed, or can we leave them exposed? Must they be taken inside in the winter (a little chilly here in Canada)? Many thanks....

The only time cold weather is a factor with batteries is when they're discharged.  Then, they will freeze.  (consider your car battery, it's okay in your weather...)Charging a frozen battery is dangerous. as in exploding battery.

If you are considering installing two batteries, I would recommend two six volt batteries in series.   Golf cart batteries would be ideal.  This setup avoids the self discharge problems of two 12 volt batteries in parallel.

Reg
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2006-07-26 12:46 PM (#45453 - in reply to #45451)

Expert

Originally written by Gaelic on 2006-07-26 12:05 PM

Eeek thank you.

Ok. We were planning to put them in the bottom of the wooden bench seat in the LQ. The mention of "flammable" came up with me, as (a) the box is wooden and not vented, and (b) we were hoping to use a Propane Heater on cool evenings to take the chill off...ergo "Spark", ergo "BOOM".

So...ahem...where do I get one of these nifty boxes to hold them under the gooseneck? Do they have to be enclosed, or can we leave them exposed? Must they be taken inside in the winter (a little chilly here in Canada)?

Many thanks....

I use an "underbody box" that is 2ft long, 18 inches deep and 18 inches wide. It fits up under the gooseneck and doesn't interfere with the high wooden sides on my truck, even on 90+ degree turns. Aluminum, available at most truck parts places, couple of hundred bux, big enough to carry two 6 volt 220+ ampere hour batteries in series and a 12 volt 125 AH (Walmart).
It is "hung" from the gooseneck's floor. Switched around and sometimes isolated with a 4 position rotary marine battery switch. OFF, 1, BOTH, 2.
PaintPony
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2006-07-26 4:05 PM (#45466 - in reply to #45439)

Veteran

The plastic battery boxes are readily avaliable at AutoZone, Tractor Supply and many other places. You'll also need a heavy frame for mounting them
Reg
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2006-07-27 6:48 AM (#45503 - in reply to #45466)

Expert

Originally written by PaintPony on 2006-07-26 4:05 PM

The plastic battery boxes are readily avaliable at AutoZone, Tractor Supply and many other places. You'll also need a heavy frame for mounting them

Oddly enough, those are also available at chandleries (-:

The trouble is, as you said, you need a heavy frame to mount them.
By the time you've hacked around with angle iron or aluminum angle and made the frame you can toss the plastic box.

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)