'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
electrical wiring

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2006-06-13 9:02 PM
9 replies, 2847 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

bonniejf
Reg. Oct 2004
Posted 2006-06-12 2:14 PM (#42904)
Subject: electrical wiring

Regular

Last week Hosspuller commented that my trailer is probably wired wrong.  I went camping and my trailer tripped the GFI plugs at the campground.  I have read his article on mrtruck.com.  This weekend I opened the breaker box on my trailer.  My dad read the article too, and he looked at the box and said it was wired correctly.  So, either we are wrong about it being done correctly, or I have other unknown problems.  The a/c is the only thing wired into this trailer, so its the only appliance that could be faulty.  I'm attaching pictures of the breaker box.  Hosspuller, and anyone else, care to comment??  I'm ready to pull my hair out with this thing...
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
SLICKRNSNOT
Reg. May 2006
Posted 2006-06-12 3:27 PM (#42909 - in reply to #42904)
Subject: RE: electrical wiring

Elite Veteran

DID YOU TRY ANOTHER GFI RECEPTICAL ? THAT ONE COULD HAVE BEEN FAULTY.DON'T BLAME YOUR TRAILER UNTILL YOU TRY ANOTHER GOOD RECIPTICAL.YOU CAN ALSO CHECK YOUR ELECTRICAL BY TRING AN ENEXPENSIVE RECEPTICAL TESTER THAT LIGHTS UP IF IT IS CORRECT OR IF IT IS'T IT WILL TELL YOU WHATS NOT WIRED CORRECTLY.
FUN HUH?
JimA
Reg. Oct 2004
Posted 2006-06-12 3:41 PM (#42912 - in reply to #42904)

if you plug into a GFI the bare copper wires need to be seperated from the white ground wires . the bare wires need to be grounded to the trailer frame
justinc
Reg. Jun 2005
Posted 2006-06-12 3:43 PM (#42913 - in reply to #42904)

I believe you will need to seperate the ground (copper) wires from the Neutral (white) wires. Doing this should correct you tripping the GFI when you plug in.
Rich M.
Reg. Sep 2005
Posted 2006-06-12 3:45 PM (#42915 - in reply to #42904)

Veteran

Hosspuller is correct the installation is wrong. The picture tells the story. The ground wires ( bare or green) and the neutral wires ( white) are to be separate of each other in a trailer. The " block" for the white wires should also be isolated from any metal part. Usually, not always and I can't tell from the picture, the block you have the ground and neutral wires to will have a bond screw that threads into the back of the panel through the bar, remove it and the block will then be isolated and you can get a separate ground block to mount on the metal of the panel ( Home Depot, etc. will have these).Run the white ( neutral) from your power cord to the now isolated block with the white wires and the bare or green to the new block mounted to the panel with other bare wires. Also if the wire entering the back of the panel is your " power cord" it is too small and of the wrong type. It needs to be 10/3 SO or SJ for a 30 amp service. It should also have a connector entering the box to prevent abrasion.I'm positive this is why you are tripping the camp GFI. Sorry for the long post but hope this leaves your hair intact. Rich
bonniejf
Reg. Oct 2004
Posted 2006-06-12 4:03 PM (#42916 - in reply to #42904)

Regular

Well, Rich, you may have saved my hair.  I assumed that since the white and ground wires were separate from each other that it was fine.  But now I think I understand that by separate you mean they must be connected to two different things that are not connected to each other.  Yes, the yellow cord at the back is the power supply cord.  It is not a 30 amp plug though.  It is just a regular household plug.  There are two 15 amp breakers with a household receptacle and a/c on one and just a household receptable on the other.  Where one of the wires runs up to the a/c, the yellow insulation of the wire is being cut into by a piece of aluminum supporting it, not all the way into the cord yet, just partially.  So, I think I am just going to have the entire thing redone.  I don't want 30 amp service though, so I was considering just having two regular plug-ins on the outside to power the a/c and receptacles on the inside.  I have located a competent electrician finally that I think can handle this.  But the previous two I asked did not seem to know anything about the white and green wires having to be separate.  So, maybe if I tell him exactly what I need, he will do it right.  Thanks again.

Edited by bonniejf 2006-06-12 4:05 PM
hosspuller
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2006-06-12 5:48 PM (#42921 - in reply to #42916)

Expert

Originally written by bonniejf on 2006-06-12 3:03 PM

I assumed that since the white and ground wires were separate from each other that it was fine.  But now I think I understand that by separate you mean they must be connected to two different things that are not connected to each other.  

So, I think I am just going to have the entire thing redone. 

I don't want 30 amp service though, so I was considering just having two regular plug-ins on the outside to power the a/c and receptacles on the inside.  I have located a competent electrician finally that I think can handle this.  But the previous two I asked did not seem to know anything about the white and green wires having to be separate. 

So, maybe if I tell him exactly what I need, he will do it right.  

Hi again ... I'm glad you took the pictures.  They clearly show several things wrong.

First, do as Rich and my article suggested.  Purchase another ground terminal strip.  This item will correct 1) the ground fault problem. 2) the wiring mess, multiple wires twisted into one lug is wrong.  Each wire should have its own screw connector.

Look at this picture:

Notice the two terminal strips... AND see the piece labeled "Panel Bonding strap to ground"  This little piece connects the panel to the ground terminal.  It doesn't have any connection to the other terminal strip.... (although it might appear so)

Further, since you ....  "don't want 30 amp service though, so I was considering just having two regular plug-ins on the outside to power the a/c and receptacles on the inside. " 

If you do this, only connect the grounds (Green wire) together of the two cords.  If you try to connect anything else together .. You will have BIG problems.  Tell your electrician to wire two separate circuits.   The other two "electricians" you previously consulted were not competent electricians.  Although they might have been "Wire benders"

bonniejf
Reg. Oct 2004
Posted 2006-06-13 11:55 AM (#42953 - in reply to #42904)

Regular

Thank you Hosspuller, now I think I know exactly how it should be done.  It can be difficult to make people (electricians, welders, etc.) believe that I know what I'm talking about when it comes to work I'm having done on this trailer.  They look at me - a girl in my mid-20s - and want to prove to me how much they know.  They don't understand that I've literally spent days researching the right way to do stuff on this horse trailer on the internet, and probably know more than them about it.  I'm going to print out everything to show the electrician and insist that it be done this way.  Thank you very much.

Rich M.
Reg. Sep 2005
Posted 2006-06-13 4:02 PM (#42971 - in reply to #42904)

Veteran

Glad you are of the frame of mind to want things done right. Just one more note and it's just my opinion but you already have a panel that will accomodate a 30 amp service at this point the only cost is upgrading your power cord for the 30 amp service, the material difference is negligible and labor is labor. You would have far more flexibility down the road. An adapter to convert the 30 amp plug to the 20amp can be bought inexpensively and give you plenty of options. My 2cents. Enjoy! Rich.
iCE CRM
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2006-06-13 9:02 PM (#42985 - in reply to #42904)

Extreme Veteran

They can be done like that on a house but on a trailer or mobile home the ground and nuetral must be on a different bus or unattached bus for safety sake.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)