'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Land Between the Lakes

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2010-11-29 11:25 PM
9 replies, 6772 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Camp & Trail  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

ClaudiaIN
Reg. Feb 2009
Posted 2010-11-22 9:27 PM (#127363)
Subject: Land Between the Lakes

Veteran

Give me your opinions on Land Between the Lakes.  You can make reservations now and we are thinking of a trip and stay at Wranglers next year

Enough riding for gaited riders for a week?  Or better for a maybe- Wednesday- Sunday.

Better part of the campground to stay  ( I want Electric & water )

Thanks!

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
AJH
Reg. Nov 2010
Posted 2010-11-22 10:29 PM (#127365 - in reply to #127363)
Subject: RE: Land Between the Lakes

Wranglers is a great place to ride. There are several trails that take most of the day to ride, so a week is not unreasonable. I've ran into people down there from Alabama, Arkansas, Missouri and Georgia as well as several locals that swear by it. We will be there the weekend after Thanksgiving hope it doesn't get as cold as they say it will be. The stalls are nice, the bathrooms clean, and most spaces between campsites is good. Area C is wide open if you want sunshine. The cabins in Area B are nice. I think Area E has the most shade.
Bleve
Reg. Nov 2009
Posted 2010-11-23 12:22 AM (#127368 - in reply to #127363)

Regular

We went there in mid November 2008 and had a good time. The weather wasn't too bad, I was wearing short sleeves with a vest at the start of our trip but had 3 layers and gloves by the last ride. The trails were nice, nothing too hard or strenuous, generally wide open so riding two abreast is an option. One very disappointing thing we observed was that it was nearly impossible to go more than a quarter mile without seeing a beer can along the trail. We did several rides that lasted 4-6 hours (plenty long for us and shorter days anyway) but if you were there a week you'd probably cover all the trails.

We went during the middle of the week into the weekend if I recall and the campground was pretty empty - maybe 50-60 sites filled. We were the only ones in the primitive section (F I think, it backed up to a drainage creek across from some stalls) but the gate people told us the previous week was some school holiday and the place had some 5,000 campers.

We didn't ride one great trail. The tobacco barn was neat, so was riding past some of the old cemeteries. The "Blue Hole" was pretty disappointing in November, light trickle of water but it was nice to have a place to tie the horses and some tables to sit at. Enjoy if you go.
calamityj
Reg. Jun 2005
Posted 2010-11-23 8:13 PM (#127383 - in reply to #127363)

Elite Veteran

We've camped and ridden LBL several times over the past several years and liked it.... a week on gaited horses? not so much. I would spend a couple of days there, then drive up to Shawnee National Forest in Illinois (about an hour and a half north) to ride some WOW trails... Hayes Canyon is good..nice people, camp may look a little tired, but has full hookups w/sewer... We are going to try 34 Ranch in the spring. I probably wouldn't go to Bear Branch, Circle B is right on the trail (the people who run are odd and nosey) LBL camp is great and the trails are fine if you are not riding that much.
ClaudiaIN
Reg. Feb 2009
Posted 2010-11-24 6:40 AM (#127394 - in reply to #127383)

Veteran

Thanks everyone- that really helps

We go to Shawnee every year and stay at Hayes-- wonderful camp- and great trails.

I agree about Bear Branch

Sounds like maybe a 4-5 day trip at most at LBL

Dwight
Reg. Jan 2006
Posted 2010-11-26 4:23 PM (#127479 - in reply to #127363)

Extreme Veteran

calamityj - "odd and nosey"????  I'll bet there's an interesting story behind that comment.
robdnorm
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2010-11-26 7:20 PM (#127481 - in reply to #127363)

Extreme Veteran

We were there two weeks ago and were informed that you are not going to be able to reserve sites from December to March.  The camp will be on a first come first serve basis during that time.  Randal and Jamie will be there for two hours a day to collect money for sites, stalls, and ice. 
Mira
Reg. Feb 2009
Posted 2010-11-29 8:51 AM (#127570 - in reply to #127363)

Regular

We ride at LBL all the time and we ride hard ,go out for 6 hours or more sometimes never have trouble finding trails and just love it. The trails can be easy or challenging depending on which ones you take. We ride walking horses and they move out . The campground is really nice plus there is a resturant right there in camp the B section is where the full hookups are oh there's also a farrier on site seven days a week! His setup is in C section. Plus there are plenty of covered stalls.They are redoing the reservation system this winter so will not be taking reservations ,they are still open though through the winter.Mira
bbsmfg3
Reg. Dec 2006
Posted 2010-11-29 3:30 PM (#127591 - in reply to #127363)

Extreme Veteran

Mira, where are the challenging trails? I've never seen any pictures, or anyone say there are challenging trails at LBL.

Can you post some pictures of the challenging trails?
robdnorm
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2010-11-29 11:25 PM (#127614 - in reply to #127363)

Extreme Veteran

If you choose to ride the power line trail, you will be challenged at certain parts of this trail. There are other non marked trails that are single file trails that offer more of a challenge than the basic marked trails.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)