'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Lots of questions! Horse trailer newb!

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2010-06-15 2:34 PM
9 replies, 5728 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

GrittyCowgirl
Reg. May 2010
Posted 2010-06-14 3:21 PM (#121148)
Subject: Lots of questions! Horse trailer newb!

I am pretty new to the world of horse trailers. My first horse trailer was an older Ponderosa 2 horse gooseneck trailer that I absolutely hated. After giving my husband “the look” a few times when he would mention that the “trailer wasn’t that bad” he finally broke down and took me trailer shopping. I started looking for a decent 3 horse. Well I came home with a 97’ Sundowner 4 horse slant combo that was priced well below my budget. It needs some minor repairs but for the price I got it for I don’t mind. I have a few questions so bare with me! lol

http://i815.photobucket.com/albums/zz73/GrittyCowgirl/Horse%20Projects/Horse%20Trailer/Sundowner%204%20horse/Trailers005.jpg

1) The fold down windows in the horse area have sliding windows and they are a little hard to open. I was wondering if you had any tricks to cleaning the tracks and making them slide open easier? Also, what are your feelings with hauling horses with the windows down and placing the clip on screens over them?

http://i815.photobucket.com/albums/zz73/GrittyCowgirl/Horse%20Projects/Horse%20Trailer/Sundowner%204%20horse/stickywindows.jpg

2) One of the windows in the nose/sleeping area of the trailer has a tear in the screen about 3” long and some other small holes here and there… Is it very hard to replace the screens in these kind of sliding glass windows or would it be easier to cut out the frayed edges and patch them?

http://i815.photobucket.com/albums/zz73/GrittyCowgirl/Horse%20Projects/Horse%20Trailer/Sundowner%204%20horse/Trailerscreen.jpg

3) The rear of the trailer looks to be set up for a rear removable tack area but I’m not 100% sure. Does anyone know a rough estimate on getting one put in by sundowner or other fab shops? Ive tried contacting Sundowner and other local shops but Sundowner hasn’t returned my calls and local shops tell me to contact Sundowner! lol Its also missing the saddle rack in the dressing room but has pin holes already welded to the wall. I’m wondering if anyone knows of any saddle racks that would fit these or am I’m going to have to pony up the cash to the sundowner dealer?

http://i815.photobucket.com/albums/zz73/GrittyCowgirl/Horse%20Projects/Horse%20Trailer/Sundowner%204%20horse/reartack.jpg

Dressing room- http://i815.photobucket.com/albums/zz73/GrittyCowgirl/Horse%20Proje...

4) Putting a screen door in… The door to the trailer now is solid and only has a small sliding window. Is this a DIY project or should it be taken to a professional. Im assuming you would have to order a complete door set almost like a camper door but can you pave them custom made where a lot of fabrications wouldn’t’ have to be done?

5) The pros and cons of putting a cowboy shower in the back. I highly doubt we will be camping or hauling to anywhere that doesn’t have shower houses but it would be nice to have one. Just wanted to know your thoughts and if you do have one what kind did you get and where?

Hope these questions aren’t to stupid! Thanks to anyone who took the time to read and reply!

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
farmbabe
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2010-06-14 4:22 PM (#121151 - in reply to #121148)
Subject: RE: Lots of questions! Horse trailer newb!

Expert

I can offer some help- try using WD-40 on the tracks of the sliding windows...you can use a toothbrush to clean them out.I don't haul my horses with the windows down I just slide them open. Between that and the vents its usually just fine for them. You can probably get screens repaired at any shop that can do house windows or a RV dealer. This goes for the screen door as well..RV dealers can do the job. After all,,,its a RV.I declined a cowboy shower when I bought my trailer. I show my horses and thus I stay in places with facilities and I usually don't stay more than one night ( occasional exceptions) I use the midtack and the back of the trailer for gear and feed so it wouldn't have worked out for me anyway.
hosspuller
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2010-06-14 11:33 PM (#121159 - in reply to #121148)

Expert

Originally written by GrittyCowgirl on 2010-06-14 12:21 PM

2) One of the windows in the nose/sleeping area of the trailer has a tear in the screen about 3” long and some other small holes here and there… Is it very hard to replace the screens in these kind of sliding glass windows or would it be easier to cut out the frayed edges and patch them?

3) The rear of the trailer looks to be set up for a rear removable tack area but I’m not 100% sure. Does anyone know a rough estimate on getting one put in by sundowner or other fab shops? Ive tried contacting Sundowner and other local shops but Sundowner hasn’t returned my calls and local shops tell me to contact Sundowner! lol Its also missing the saddle rack in the dressing room but has pin holes already welded to the wall. I’m wondering if anyone knows of any saddle racks that would fit these or am I’m going to have to pony up the cash to the sundowner dealer?

The sundowner screens are held in just like your home window screens are.  There is a plastic spline material in a groove.  Tear the existing screen out to remove the spline.  Take a sample of the old spline to your local hardware store to get a replacement.  While you're there, buy a piece of screen material at least 6 inches bigger on all sides than your window and a screen spline tool.  Stretch the screen over the window and force the  screen and spline into the groove with your spline tool.  Cut off the excess screen when you're done.

jim bob
Reg. Jan 2008
Posted 2010-06-15 9:04 AM (#121163 - in reply to #121148)

Extreme Veteran

Since your Sundowner appears to be a steel model; I can tell you that Sundowner hasn't built steel models since late in 1998.  So, finding a rear tack from Sundowner to fit your trailer would be difficult; other than retrofitting an aluminum rear tack in your trailer, which would be more expensive.  I would have a fab shop make you a folding tack wall.

As far as the cowboy shower goes; whenever we have on installed in a trailer for a customer, your probably looking at close to $2,000 !!  Here's the reason why:  You need to have a water system installed; which includes holding tank and pump and water lines.  Also needed is a hot water LP system added; so that you will not have to take "cold" showers.  Last comes the hot/cold water faucets and shower head mounted in the slant wall in the first stall.  You can also add shower curtain and removeable pan also.  It can be done for quite a bit less if you do away with the LP system and water heater.  Some people add hot water to their fresh water tank, and just use that for the shower only.

An idea for your screen door, is adding a "hideaway folding screen door".  They are used on Sundowner living quarters trailers.

Feel free to call me at 800 659-4051 if I can help you further with your Sundowner trailer.    Jim Temple   MIDWAY TRAILER SALES

blackcows
Reg. Mar 2010
Posted 2010-06-15 10:24 AM (#121166 - in reply to #121148)

Extreme Veteran

Nice trailer I am sure you will have a lot of fun with it.  I can't answer all of your questions but wanted to say that on the two trailers we own the screen doors are more of a hassel than an asset.  I actually took the screen door out of one of my trailers.  When we are at a show we usually just leave the door open since we are going in and out quite frequently.

Since you were looking for a three horse and ended up with a four horse I am guessing you won't usually be full.  We have a three horse and usually haul only two so what I do is open the window on the slant with no horse, the two that have horse I just slide open.

For the windows you might try a dry lube, you can probably find it in the RV section of Wal-Mart, it's like oil but won't collect dust like oil will.

Mike

retento
Reg. Aug 2004
Posted 2010-06-15 10:38 AM (#121168 - in reply to #121148)

Expert

quote... For the windows you might try a dry lube, you can probably find it in the RV section of Wal-Mart, it's like oil but won't collect dust like oil will.

I use this on our sliding windows.... http://www.amazon.com/CRC-05074-Silicone-Multi-Use-Lubricant/dp/B000BXKZUG

You can find Silicone spray lube at Walmart in the Automotive section.

Be sure the track is clean and dry. Alot of time it's the buildup of dirt and junk that makes them hard to slide. The Silicone spray lubes the window and the rubber that seals the window without breaking down the rubber like petroleum will do.

brokenboot
Reg. Jan 2007
Posted 2010-06-15 10:52 AM (#121169 - in reply to #121148)

Regular

Here's a site where you can get a portable hot shower. We purchased the double burner model and stand several years ago and set it up in the first stall when we set up camped. We put the stand inside, set the burner on the trailer fender outside, and ran the hose through the window. We used a cooler to hold the water. You're supposed to use the case, but my wife liked to take longer showers and the cooler holds much more! I was totally amazed at how much pressure the nozzle had and the adjustable heat will get the water as hot as you can stand it. We thought it was an incredible buy. It might be a little less convenient than the shower in our current living quarters trailer, but it feels great after a long day of riding in the remote areas we like to go and the cost isn't all that bad when compared to having an entire system installed. And it's portable so you can take it in another trailer, use it if you're tenting, take it to your hunting shack, etc.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/links/link.jsp?cmView=f...
horsecamper
Reg. Sep 2008
Posted 2010-06-15 11:13 AM (#121170 - in reply to #121148)

Veteran

Cowgirl,  for the window screens, do as hosspuller says.  It's a real no brainer.  The little rubber strip holding in the screen will pull out easily.  You don't have to be a professional to end up will a brand new tight fitting screen.  Get the little tool that hosspuller is talking about.  It shouldn't cost much and makes the job so much easier.  The tool is pretty much self explanatory. You will get your money's worth out of it. House screens, trailer screens.
retento
Reg. Aug 2004
Posted 2010-06-15 1:02 PM (#121174 - in reply to #121170)

Expert

Originally written by horsecamper on 2010-06-15 12:13 PM

Cowgirl,  for the window screens, do as hosspuller says.  It's a real no brainer.  The little rubber strip holding in the screen will pull out easily.  You don't have to be a professional to end up will a brand new tight fitting screen.  Get the little tool that hosspuller is talking about.  It shouldn't cost much and makes the job so much easier.  The tool is pretty much self explanatory. You will get your money's worth out of it. House screens, trailer screens.

http://www.doityourself.com/stry/screenwindowrepair

http://www.qualitywindowscreen.com/store/spline-roller-tool-economy-nylon-p-317.html

http://www.qualitywindowscreen.com/store/165-serrated-spline-100-black-p-271.html

hosspuller
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2010-06-15 2:34 PM (#121179 - in reply to #121174)

Expert

Originally written by retento on 2010-06-15 10:02 AM

http://www.doityourself.com/stry/screenwindowrepair

Retento's link is a good instruction for replacing the screens.  The Sundowner screen grooves are built as part of the window.  I don't recommend taking the window off the trailer.  You'll disturb the window seal and may start a leak.  That's why I suggested buying a larger piece of screen than just one inch (as the article says)  The added screen gives you something to grab and work with.  You might even start by taping the screen on the trailer side to hold it in place while you work it into the groove.

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)