'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Ford truck brakes dilemma

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2010-03-28 8:36 AM
9 replies, 4981 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

3horse
Reg. Sep 2008
Posted 2010-03-19 9:48 PM (#117831)
Subject: Ford truck brakes dilemma

Good Evening: Two months ago while driving my truck, F150 - 2001, it started to smell like something was burning. The truck stayed with the mechanic for a week. He couldn't get it to do the same for him. Yesterday I'm running errands and the smell starts. A mile down the road the engine starts to labor and white smoke is coming from the front left wheel. I called AAA to haul the truck to the mechanic. There's evidence of over heating but all parts are working. Forgive me if I describe this incorrectly, the piston in the caliper is working fine and they can't find anything really wrong. Nothing is sticking. He called the Ford dealer about any parts recalls. Nope. Does this sound familiar to anyone? Any suggestions? This old girl doesn't want to end up stuck in the boonies pulling my horse trailer. The mechanic has kept our various vehicles running for over ten years. He's a decent guy. Thank you. I'd appreciate any assistance on this.
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
wyndancer
Reg. Apr 2007
Posted 2010-03-20 8:01 AM (#117843 - in reply to #117831)
Subject: RE: Ford truck brakes dilemma

Extreme Veteran

The truck is 9 model years old. I really think Ford doesn't have to do anything about it, but quite often they see repairs that independent mechanics don't.

I'd probably replace the caliper. Change the brake fluid.

Do you drive with two feet? One on the gas and one on the brake? Just asking'...some people do and don't realize it.
301duster
Reg. Jan 2009
Posted 2010-03-20 8:11 AM (#117844 - in reply to #117831)

Veteran

Have had that happen on a Chevy before.  If all the rest of the brakes are functioning properly my guess would be to replace the rubber line that goes from the frame to the caliper.  What happens is the inside of the rubber line will start to come apart and it creates a "check valve" effect.  You can apply the brakes and they work fine, but it ends up trapping the fluid where the line is collapsed and it can't release.  It's not that expensive and I've had it happen twice.  Oddly enough left front both times.
dgeesaman
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2010-03-20 9:01 AM (#117846 - in reply to #117831)

Regular

Originally written by 3horse on 2010-03-19 9:48 PM

Good Evening: Two months ago while driving my truck, F150 - 2001, it started to smell like something was burning. The truck stayed with the mechanic for a week. He couldn't get it to do the same for him. Yesterday I'm running errands and the smell starts. A mile down the road the engine starts to labor and white smoke is coming from the front left wheel. I called AAA to haul the truck to the mechanic. There's evidence of over heating but all parts are working. Forgive me if I describe this incorrectly, the piston in the caliper is working fine and they can't find anything really wrong. Nothing is sticking. He called the Ford dealer about any parts recalls. Nope. Does this sound familiar to anyone? Any suggestions? This old girl doesn't want to end up stuck in the boonies pulling my horse trailer. The mechanic has kept our various vehicles running for over ten years. He's a decent guy. Thank you. I'd appreciate any assistance on this.

I would ask if the brake shims need replaced. These are smooth metal plates that support the brake pad, and when they get rusty they might cause the brake pad to stick and drag against the brake rotor.

I agree about the fresh brake fluid. If the brake got that hot it needs done anyway.

David
genebob
Reg. Nov 2007
Posted 2010-03-20 11:29 AM (#117851 - in reply to #117831)

Elite Veteran

It's very possible the caliper stuck, and after it cooled down would release. Another possible is a sensor for the anti-lock might have stuck, which could engage just the one brake. I know it's expensive, but I would recommend replacing both front calipers and definitely the brake fluid.
BlazingCreekBar
Reg. Nov 2008
Posted 2010-03-20 5:03 PM (#117861 - in reply to #117831)

Extreme Veteran

Your caliper guide pins may need replacing or just lubricated after a good cleaning.

Not one of fords strong points.  General rule is to inspect yearly.  I am doing all mine this week.  Some just replace the caliper bracket.

More information here than one will ever need :)

http://www.thedieselstop.com/forums/f122/

Edited by BlazingCreekBar 2010-03-20 5:06 PM
flyinghfarm
Reg. Mar 2004
Posted 2010-03-20 7:52 PM (#117864 - in reply to #117831)

Expert

We had a sticking piston but the root cause was a collapse of the liner of the front brake line servicing it.  Replaced piston and brake lines and all has been well 3 years and counting....good luck and keep on til someone fixes it, cuz it sure is not your imagination!!
Barfly
Reg. Jun 2008
Posted 2010-03-25 1:26 AM (#117981 - in reply to #117831)

Veteran

I agree with 301 Duster...replace the flexable pipe between the caliper and the Chassis...its happened to me before as well. to be safe replace both sides...they should not be expensive.....

and replace the fluid as well.

3horse
Reg. Sep 2008
Posted 2010-03-27 8:28 PM (#118066 - in reply to #117831)

Thank you to everyone that responded. In answer to one person asking if I was a two footed driver. No, that one I don't do. I've been behind two footers and its maddening.
Thanks again and I'll let you know what happens.
jakefreese
Reg. Nov 2009
Posted 2010-03-28 8:36 AM (#118087 - in reply to #117831)

Regular

My wifes F350 did this, what had happened was I was out of town, and the front brakes got done and when they put the calipers back on they accendently put a twist in the rubber line, he truck would only do it when turning tight and it would kink the line. untwisting the line took care of it. but I replaced them just to make sure they did not have any undue stress on them
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)