'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
I need your advice "Squeel under the hood"

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2009-03-09 8:14 PM
9 replies, 4488 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

BlazingCreekBar
Reg. Nov 2008
Posted 2009-03-08 7:19 PM (#100895)
Subject: I need your advice "Squeel under the hood"

Extreme Veteran

I figured I would start here as this crew is pulling heavy loads and most issues are going to arise when pulling and be hidden when not pulling.

Which is my case. 

The past few trips into our local forest I have experienced a shrill shrieking noise under the hood of our 05 F350 PSD 6.0 dually.

Let me set the stage:

The ride into the local forest is slow and very hilly with lots of turns takes about 15 - 20 minutes to get to our trail head on all paved but bumpy roads.

Our new noise is only present during the point of throttle and torque at these low speeds.  If I flutter the gas pedal without adding additional torque I can encourage the shriek to maintain until the torque of the truck catches up.

I have taken this to the dealer yet they cannot duplicate it.

I have been able to duplicate it not under tow by getting on the truck (0 to 60 stuff) following I was also able to duplicate it in my driveway while in park.

I have read that the tension bearing is an issue in these trucks.  The noise certainly sounds like a dry bearing.

Any thoughts?  Thanks in advance.

Jim

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
tom-tom
Reg. Feb 2008
Posted 2009-03-08 7:31 PM (#100898 - in reply to #100895)
Subject: RE: I need your advice "Squeel under the hood"

Extreme Veteran

I had a squeal on my '03 F350 6.o at hiway speeds when the fan would cut in on high.  At first the dealer replaced the serpentine belt.  Went about 6 months and it came back.  They replaced the serpentine belt again under warranty and then I believe they replaced a pulley that had a tsb.  So far the problem has gone away. 
BlazingCreekBar
Reg. Nov 2008
Posted 2009-03-08 7:39 PM (#100899 - in reply to #100895)

Extreme Veteran

The first time I took it in for this the dealer found the water pump leaking and a gasket on the y pipe whistling.  They replaced the belt, pump and gasket.  Sent me on my way and the problem is still persistent.

I am going to hate to get caught on the side of the road with the family in the cab and in the trailer.

gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2009-03-08 8:10 PM (#100903 - in reply to #100895)

Expert

Does the noise vary by engine speed? It sounds as if it might be serpentine belt related. If it's not the belt itself, if could be any bearing being turned by the belt. This would include the belt tensioner pulley bearing, the alternator bearing, water pump, power steering, air conditioner compressor etc. A mechanic using a mechanic's stethoscope should be able to pin point the source of the sound very quickly.

Gard

Barfly
Reg. Jun 2008
Posted 2009-03-09 1:38 AM (#100911 - in reply to #100895)

Veteran

t is my experience on any engine, that if a bearing is dry or shot it will make a noise all the time 9although it might be softer at lower speeds and loads) This sounds like a simple undertensioned belt. The fact that it does it under lower speed conditions it tells me that it is either the alternator belt or the power steering belt.

Try turning the steering wheele to full lock (with the engine ideling) - then try to turn it some more. If it squeels, then you have a loose power steering belt. If not I would check the Alternator belt....this is more than lightly the case - as when the viscous fan engages (in the twistie and turnie areas) it demands more torque from the belt and this could cause the squeel....

Good luck

tom-tom
Reg. Feb 2008
Posted 2009-03-09 1:46 PM (#100951 - in reply to #100895)

Extreme Veteran

They replaced my water pump pulley. Part # 5C3Z 8509 A with a more robust pulley with revised surface cost $54.72. So far so good.
retento
Reg. Aug 2004
Posted 2009-03-09 4:33 PM (#100965 - in reply to #100895)

Expert

Check the hoses and clamps between the turbo, aftercooler and the intake... You may be hearing turbo boost air leaking.... hose may have oil on the inside and is beginning to slip off of fitting... You won't hear it unless the charger is making boost pressure.

BlazingCreekBar
Reg. Nov 2008
Posted 2009-03-09 5:54 PM (#100970 - in reply to #100895)

Extreme Veteran

The noise is just before torque kicks in, the in between between accelerating and not and most prominent at a low crawl.

A better example of the torque position:  "When you have a loose chain on a motorcycle or regular bike.  The chain is slack with no torque but just as it tightens up but not tight all the way."  That is the position of throttle I can get into and once I get the noise I can accentuate it by fluttering the gas for a few minutes ensuring I do not add extra torque.  Speed could be 5 - 15

I am happy with your responses nice to get some opinions.  Thanks

AQHA 123
Reg. Oct 2008
Posted 2009-03-09 6:45 PM (#100983 - in reply to #100895)

Veteran

Back in November when things started getting cold I heard a squeel sound coming from under my hood. It actually started after I took the truck to Jiffy Lube for a service. It had been going on for about two weeks before I opened up the hood to take a look. You can imagine my surprise when I opened the hood and found the source of the squeel-- there he was, the service guy from Jiffy Lube staring back at me! "What the hell took you so long?!" he asked. I felt terrible about the whole thing but I did let him ride inside the truck with me when I gave him a ride back to the shop. His supervisor at the shop was not happy with him, apparently it was the third time this kid had done that, and they had been wondering where he was. I guess the moral of the story is that we always need to check on loud squeels under the hood right away and not put it off, like I did.

Edited by AQHA 123 2009-03-09 6:47 PM
barrelhorses
Reg. Feb 2009
Posted 2009-03-09 8:14 PM (#100990 - in reply to #100895)

Regular

I had a 2005 6.0 PSD.  It made various and sundry noises over the time I had it.  Could it be turbo noise?  Perhaps it is getting ready to go out?  My fan kicked on several times, as somone else already stated, but it was never a squeal or whisle sound....it was always a roaring sound when it came on.  Mine developed a "whistle" under certain driving conditions and started using some antifreeze.  My dealer said nothing was wrong with it....twice.  So I fixed it the only way I knew how.....I traded it in on an 08 V10 and couldn't be happier.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)