'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Sassy's leg swollen this morning. Any ideas?

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2008-07-13 11:18 PM
9 replies, 4636 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Horse Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

arinekhen
Reg. Apr 2008
Posted 2008-07-08 9:26 AM (#87066)
Subject: Sassy's leg swollen this morning. Any ideas?

Sassy (14 months, 800+lbs) didn't want to get up when mama went to the barn this morning, which is unusual. We finally wondered if she was just too close to the stall wall, so we actually flipped her over, which prompted her to finally get up. Once she was up, she seemed fine, she ate and then went out to graze as normal, and the stall mess was the same as always, so maybe it isn't colic. However, her lower left rear leg is swollen maybe by 50% or so: there's a couple of superficial scrapes, but nothing that looks serious. She doesn't seem to be lamed at all, just a little swollen. I called the vet and told him about all this, as well as the snake skin we found behind the barn and her swim in a pond a couple of days ago, and he didn't seem too concerned since she isn't lame and is eating. He said to give it a day and see how she does. If we need to take her in tomorrow, we'll do it. but if anyone has had experience with something like this, I'd sure like to hear whatever you'd have to say! Thanks!
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
longearsrule
Reg. Apr 2006
Posted 2008-07-08 12:16 PM (#87079 - in reply to #87066)
Subject: RE: Sassy's leg swollen this morning. Any ideas?

Extreme Veteran

Do you have any bute? That would help with the swelling and you could run water over the leg a couple of times a day, that helps with the swelling also. Water is a wonderful healer.
wendmil
Reg. Aug 2006
Posted 2008-07-08 5:59 PM (#87101 - in reply to #87066)

Veteran

As longears says, water works wonders.  Especially if you use a spray gun.  It's like a water massage.  You'd be surprised how well it works.  And don't be too upset about an occasional swollen leg (that is, of course, in the absence of of other symptoms).  Horses just seem to find trouble.  I've got one now with a swollen leg.  Just went out one moring and he had a tiny little scratch and a big ol' swollen cannon bone.  No blood, no limping, not much to it but the swelling.  Can't say that it didn't freak me out at first, but it's slowly going away.  That baby has had so many boo-boos and so much hydrotherapy he looks forward to getting squirted down.  Hope all goes well.

farmbabe
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2008-07-08 6:38 PM (#87107 - in reply to #87066)

Expert

I agree with your vet and posters- if she is eating and not lame, its likely not serious. Some bute, cold water and walking about will help. But watch her for signs of problems such as going off feed and/or lameness.
notfromtexas
Reg. Jan 2007
Posted 2008-07-08 11:08 PM (#87111 - in reply to #87066)

Veteran

If it doesn't go away on it's own, examine the leg with a bright light and look for any small bites, punctures, etc.  It will probably go away though without much effort on your part.  I personally would wrap both hind legs with standing bandages (to help the swelling on the one and to provide support for the other) but only do this if you are sure how, as doing it wrong can be more harm than good.  Icing the leg is even better than cold water, 20 minutes at a time, no more, as longer can actually cause more swelling.  If you don't have an ice boot I recommend getting one, it can be a very handy thing to have around the barn.
arinekhen
Reg. Apr 2008
Posted 2008-07-09 8:44 AM (#87119 - in reply to #87111)

Sassy is a bit better this morning. We wrapped a thick rage around her ankle and Tisha kept it wet and cool by pouring water over it from a bucket. Afterwards the swelling had gone down quite a bit, and at the end of the evening, Sassy was feeling good enough to dance a little for Tisha! We now think when she laid down in the stall she was getting her leg caught between the ground and the bottom of one of the stall walls where there was a gap: the gap has been covered by a board. One more example of me looking at something after the fact and thinking, WHY didn't I notice that before! Live and learn, I guess. THANKS for all the input and encouragement!
notfromtexas
Reg. Jan 2007
Posted 2008-07-09 10:04 AM (#87125 - in reply to #87066)

Veteran

Doug, you can put them in a padded stall and they will still get themselves in trouble! Glad she's better, keep up the cool water treatment for a few days and sounds like all should be fine.
Terri
Reg. Jan 2004
Posted 2008-07-10 6:45 PM (#87238 - in reply to #87125)

Expert

When my horses coliced and my filly ended up in sugury I was upset with my self because they are sure it was the hay.  It was the only common factor and I fed it to them.  The suguron said you can't protect them from everything and even if you put them in a padded room to try they would eat the padding and colic.
arinekhen
Reg. Apr 2008
Posted 2008-07-11 11:13 AM (#87281 - in reply to #87066)

Sassy is improving! She even "danced" for us last night in her paddock! Boy, is she beautiful...
Spooler
Reg. Aug 2006
Posted 2008-07-13 11:18 PM (#87418 - in reply to #87066)

Extreme Veteran

If this happens to me I just rub the leg down with linement a couple of days in a row.  I have had it happen to one of my horses 2 times after a thunder storm came through. I could see in his paddock where he slide down both times. He's a 24 year old goofball sometimes. I have seen the same said horse jump up to buck and through his front legs out from under himself, on the ground he went. What a goofball.....
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)