'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Replacing Floor boards

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2007-07-21 6:47 AM
9 replies, 7833 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

jheavy
Reg. Jul 2007
Posted 2007-07-16 11:17 AM (#63960)
Subject: Replacing Floor boards

New User

I need to replace at least a few of the wood floor boards on my 2 horse straight load trailer.  It looks like a simple job, but I know that changes quickly once you get things torn apart, I believe in Murphy.

My question is what is used to secure the boards to the trailer metal frame/cross members? 

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
ggrimm01
Reg. Aug 2005
Posted 2007-07-16 11:55 AM (#63962 - in reply to #63960)
Subject: RE: Replacing Floor boards

Regular

I had to replace a floor on my stock trailer.   The trailer had tounge and grove boards, however I replace the boards with 2x8 treated wood.  The boards were held into a channel and I had to cut the top piece off  to get the boards out.  Once out I used the old boards after numbering them.  I used the old boards as a template and cut the new boards off the template.     Put the new boards in the channel, welded the top piece on and now I have a new floor.
jheavy
Reg. Jul 2007
Posted 2007-07-16 12:09 PM (#63965 - in reply to #63960)

New User

Thanks the reply!

My boards are sitting on the frame and attached with what looks like some kind of screws at each end and at two metal crossmembers.  I don't think they're regular screws, they don't seem to have slots in the screw heads.  What is the best fastener to use? I'm also concerned about getting the old fasteners out, I'm sure they're rusted in there and will need to be drilled out.

halfpint23
Reg. Aug 2004
Posted 2007-07-17 2:52 PM (#64035 - in reply to #63965)

Veteran

They are usually either phillips head or square drive - either way, they will not be coming out so you may as well get ready to do some demo work :)If they pull through the old wood, or they break off, either way take a cuttoff wheel on an angle grinder and buff them off flush with the channel or angle iron frame members. Mark centers on the sides so you can stringline across the new wood after it's laid in to put a screw in each board - less is more, don't be knocking a whole lot of new holes in the wood to start the rot all over again.Self tappers and a good screwgun are priceless for this work! We have a big Milwaukee screw shooter that is superb. Actually, if there's a good steel piece welded down over the ends so the boards can't shift much, fasteners are superfluous and only weaken the boards. Last one we did a new deck in, we opted to not screw though the wood, it's the best one yet.One bit of advice - if the wood is real wet, put them in there TIGHT edge to edge. You will get up to 10-15% shrinkage, especially on treated lumber, and will end up with some major gap-osis if you lay it loose.
jheavy
Reg. Jul 2007
Posted 2007-07-17 3:16 PM (#64037 - in reply to #63960)

New User

Great info, thanks! If I weld metal across to hold the boards down I'll just have to make sure it can be cut & removed if board replacement is ever needed again. Just spot weld it on the ends and a couple of places along the length should be enough.
Terri
Reg. Jan 2004
Posted 2007-07-17 6:29 PM (#64049 - in reply to #63965)

Expert

The last trailer floor I replaced had the boards bolted to the frame.  Get up under it and see if there are any nuts.  If there are see if you can get a wrench or screw gun under there and loosen the nuts.  If they are rusted on like mine were, it was easier to cut the boards out and then cut the bolts off and replace them.
halfpint23
Reg. Aug 2004
Posted 2007-07-18 10:02 AM (#64064 - in reply to #64037)

Veteran

Yep, just make sure the welds are "enough" so that they don't pop with use - and take a big hammer (ie, 12 pound sledge) and tap the free edge down as flush as you can get it to the new wood. In case your mats don't cover that edge, you don't want it to catch a shoe heel and cause a big nasty wreck!

Oof, bad visions there.....

Best of luck in your project!
loveduffy
Reg. Feb 2006
Posted 2007-07-19 8:22 AM (#64104 - in reply to #63962)

Expert

ggrimm01 I have a question for you . You  replaced you boards with  treated wood- presser treated ? I was told that you could  not use pressure treated wood because the wood waffles and the horse would get splinters  is this information right? This way the next time I do my floor I would use treated wood ??
cowpony01
Reg. Mar 2006
Posted 2007-07-20 4:03 PM (#64179 - in reply to #63960)

Extreme Veteran

I believe they are called "carriage bolts." That's what we used when we replaced the floor in our cattle trailer. It was very simple and used I also believe 2x 6 and they were 14footers, that's what the older trailer takes. (If i'm not mistaken)

It's a very simple process, not very hard at all, with two people you can have it done in a few hours maybe less..............

Yvette
Reg. Jul 2006
Posted 2007-07-21 6:47 AM (#64193 - in reply to #63960)

Extreme Veteran

If you are going to remove a couple of boards, I recommend doing them all. It'll actually be easier to remove all the boards than just a few in most cases. Or saw carefully. ;) Before cutting any metal, remove the old boards anyway you can. Power saws are helpful. Use a saw (careful not to saw into your trailer walls or frame) to enable you to do this easily. For the now rusted in screws (they probably had screw guides on them, but corroded away.), easiest way to remove the boards from them is chisel and hammer and pop them from under the boards. And as suggested use the measurements from the old boards total length to cut your new boards. Removal takes longer than installing. The new boards with a little tapping perhaps, should slide into the channel at by the door of the trailer. Get your drill and screws. If you want to use the original holes, get dirty and drill your pilot holes from the bottom of the trailer. Would be a good idea to weight down the boards to keep them in place as you do this. For more clearance, use whatever trailer aid kinda thing you have and could even borrow a friends to lift evenly. Safer than using a jack. If not worried about making new holes, drill from the top. Oh, one way you may try to get rid of the what is left of the old screw if you've broken them fairly flush with the frame is a hammer and a pritchel and tap them out. As for using screws versus carriage bolts, it depends on how big of holes you want to put in your frame and personal preference. They are really there more to keep the boards from slapping around when you travel than anything else. You will want a screw that goes flush with the board.

Have fun and it really won't be that bad.

Oh yeah. And look at the grain on the boards end. You want to put the board with the half moon shape arching up.  Think frown. This will help keep your boards flat in the long run. Otherwise the board will start to smile on you in the future instead of staying flat. And we don't like smiling boards.

Modified to add, if done right, you shouldn't have to cut any metal on your trailer to replace the boards.

Edited by Yvette 2007-07-21 3:56 PM
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)