'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
auto trans and heat

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2006-07-31 9:34 AM
9 replies, 2905 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

siseley
Reg. Jul 2006
Posted 2006-07-29 2:57 PM (#45645)
Subject: auto trans and heat

Extreme Veteran

I'm sure this subject has been covered, BUT..Can we look at it again?  I am towing a two horse b.p., alum w/dressing room/ tack area.  The trailer weighs about 2800 lbs "wet", and we have two horses of about 800 to 900 lbs. I am towing with my 1500 dodge with a 318 ci v-8, and it is a short bed/4x4. Living in So. CA., I have to deal with numerous small hills to get to the better shows and riding areas, so I am always finding myself watching my temp guage as it goes to 215 and stays there if I am pulling even a little. I use 15-50 Mobil 1 synthetic in the engine, and have the tranny flushed every 20 thou miles even if not "Smelly". What damage control can I do to lower the temp? I have the factory tranny cooler but it also dumps heat into the radiator. ( I also of course have an a/c condenser in the front also.  I don't use a/c when towing ). HELP... I am worried I will burn up the tranny and this is my only vehicle.  Oh yeah, it is a 1997 model, and short bed/4x4, with std cab.
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
perfect11s
Reg. Sep 2005
Posted 2006-07-29 3:22 PM (#45646 - in reply to #45645)
Subject: RE: auto trans and heat

Regular

Hi 2 things you could do as insurance first I would fit a new fan clutch,they seem free wheel more as they age .. also you could fit an aftermarket trans cooler kit they fit infront of the A/C condensor and link up to the one in the rad with flexy hoses, oh maybe worth looking to see that the rad is clean,hard to see behind the condensor sometimes  you could lift it out flush it and refill with new coolant at the same time..Hope this helps....
Reg
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2006-07-29 5:14 PM (#45647 - in reply to #45645)

Expert

Originally written by siseley on 2006-07-29 2:57 PM

I'm sure this subject has been covered, BUT..Can we look at it again? I am towing a two horse b.p., alum w/dressing room/ tack area. The trailer weighs about 2800 lbs "wet", and we have two horses of about 800 to 900 lbs. I am towing with my 1500 dodge with a 318 ci v-8, and it is a short bed/4x4. Living in So. CA., I have to deal with numerous small hills to get to the better shows and riding areas, so I am always finding myself watching my temp guage as it goes to 215 and stays there if I am pulling even a little. I use 15-50 Mobil 1 synthetic in the engine, and have the tranny flushed every 20 thou miles even if not "Smelly". What damage control can I do to lower the temp? I have the factory tranny cooler but it also dumps heat into the radiator. ( I also of course have an a/c condenser in the front also. I don't use a/c when towing ). HELP... I am worried I will burn up the tranny and this is my only vehicle. Oh yeah, it is a 1997 model, and short bed/4x4, with std cab.

A few things;
1) Use tow/haul mode if you have it, if not use O/D lock-out or whatever it is called on your particular truck.
2) Tranny flush every 20K might be a bit excessive, I change mine every 3rd engine oil change. I have the Allison and I added a deeper pan to it very early on, this is a CHEAP modification that basically gives your transmission more oil in which to dump heat, so there is a better chance that your trans will still be relatively cool when you reach the tops of the big climbs.
3) You could turn the A/C off on long hard climbs, oh you already said you don't use it when towing.
4) You could add an even bigger oil cooler to the trans.
5) I wouldn't bother with the Mo-one synthetic in the engine, spend the money on synthetic auto trans oil instead, it is a MUCH better damage control investment. The 318 is close to indestructible anyway, it doesn't NEED a synthetic oil.
deranger
Reg. Jan 2004
Posted 2006-07-30 10:10 AM (#45668 - in reply to #45645)

Elite Veteran

Hi siseley, and welcome to the forum. I use to live in Victorville and I'm pretty familiar with the area and miss living there at times, but not in the summer. If you are towing in SoCal and the temp gauge is only going to 215, you are doing fine. Engine is designed to do that and seems to be operating o.k. from what you have said so far. I really think you are doing everything right from what I can tell. I swear by Mobil One and use it in my Harley and the van. I think it's worth the extra money for the Mobil One and I extend my oil changes out futher as well and that offsets the extra cost a little too. I'm really sold on Mobil One for a lot of reasons; one of them being our van is high milage and it was using more than a quart between oil changes and switching to Mobil One solved that problem. The down side to Mobil One is that it is so "slick" that if you didn't have any oil leaks before, you will when you switch to Mobil One. Valve covers and oil pan needed some attention after switching to Mobil One.

Have your coolant tested to make sure it's not contaminated and performing to specs. I'd suggest buying an anti-freeze tester and get a really good one since you seem to want to do things right and it will pay for itself quickly. Simple to use and you are saving money. If you are not experiencing any overheating, past 215 degrees, the rest of your cooling system is probably working just fine.  The radiator cap, cooling fan *already mentioned in another post*, belts, hoses, radiator are all part of a system that appears to be working according to factory specs. The radiator cap should be a 12-15 pound cap and if I remember correctly*?* you lower the boiling point of the coolant by 2 degrees for every pound of pressure? I could be corrected on that, but I think I'm close anyway.

As for the tranny, I don't think you are doing anything wrong. There are some things *already mentioned* that you could do to help the tranny live longer.  You have to be careful of how much you are spending, the benefit gained and that has to = cost effective. If you add an aftermarket tranny cooler, you lower the resale value of the truck to a potential buyer with a private sale, but won't affect a trade in deal that much.

I think I would leave things the way they are for the most part and enjoy life. "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" is a good motto to live by. I think you are being very cautious and that's a good thing. Happy trails.

xyzer
Reg. Apr 2004
Posted 2006-07-30 11:42 AM (#45670 - in reply to #45645)

Extreme Veteran

Originally written by deranger on 2006-07-30 8:10 AM

"If it ain't broke, don't fix it" is a good motto to live by. I think you are being very cautious and that's a good thing. Happy trails.

I also have to agree..You are doing all the right things already and you really don't know what transmission tempeture you are running by looking at the water temp. If you are changing the trans fluid reguallary and it doesn't appear burnt things look good! Good maintenence is your best bet in my book, and it appears you are doing a good job already.

siseley
Reg. Jul 2006
Posted 2006-07-30 1:21 PM (#45672 - in reply to #45645)

Extreme Veteran

15 Thanks everyone for your input

I can't use synthetic trans oil in my tranny cause it has to have an additive for Chrysler trannys. I would have used it a few years ago, but was told by three different sources NOT to do that. Chrysler, trans rebuilder/ hotrodder trans guy, and another trans shop. I looked into getting an electric fan setup for the truck, but WOW, that will be a MAJOR installation and costly too boot. ( although not as costly as a new tranny!!) Guess I will just keep the regular maintenance schedule, and as I use a very good coolant and new hoses, belts, and keep tire pressures even, will just "keep on truckin" so to speak. ( next truck will have at least a 5 speed manual,be a 1 ton, and a DIESEL )
maccwall
Reg. May 2004
Posted 2006-07-30 2:32 PM (#45678 - in reply to #45668)

Extreme Veteran

Originally written by deranger on 2006-07-30 10:10 AM

If you add an aftermarket tranny cooler, you lower the resale value of the truck to a potential buyer with a private sale, but won't affect a trade in deal that much.

I don't know how an aftermarket tranny cooler could lower the re-sale value but I sure know it ups the life of a tranmisson. One of the first things I did when I bought my truck. Cooler was around $100.00 and I tied it into the fatory one. I also like the larger pan idea.

Just my .02¢

Reg
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2006-07-30 6:42 PM (#45689 - in reply to #45678)

Expert

Originally written by maccwall on 2006-07-30 2:32 PM

Originally written by deranger on 2006-07-30 10:10 AM

If you add an aftermarket tranny cooler, you lower the resale value of the truck to a potential buyer with a private sale, but won't affect a trade in deal that much.

I don't know how an aftermarket tranny cooler could lower the re-sale value but I sure know it ups the life of a tranmisson. One of the first things I did when I bought my truck. Cooler was around $100.00 and I tied it into the fatory one. I also like the larger pan idea.

Just my .02¢

re larger (DEEPER) pans;
I'm not sure how this applies to ALL 1/2, 3/4 and 1 ton trucks, but SOME of them use transmissions that are very similar those used on the bigger trucks. Same major castings, same bolt patterns to engine and pan, etc. They're also lower to the ground and PART of the adaptation for use in smaller trucks is to use a shallower pan. It is at least POSSIBLE that deeper pans can be had for Ford and Dodge, but be sure you don't get something that hangs WAY down and finds high rocks when you go to events and have to park in fields. I was also careful to avoid the aluminum pans, sure they can provide better cooling, but steel just dents if you ground out - if you ground out lightly.
Anyway, it might be worth checking with your parts counter guy, he/she might know what other pans would fit your trans - Don't forget to ALWAYS buy the longer pick-up strainer too (-:
I think mine was about $50 or 60 - and I use an extra 5 quarts of synthetic at each change.

re Chryco and their +3, or 3+ {I think they're up to +4 now}.
I went through that crap with the Intrepid, basically I don't believe it.
Well on the days that I half believe it I'm ashamed to have bought such a SPECIAL transmission that (supposedly) can't survive on dextron 3.

I'll be looking for a Daimler/Burnz/Dodge approved synthetic trans oil for the Dango soon, as soon as the weather breaks )-:

Edited by Reg 2006-07-30 6:55 PM
SLICKRNSNOT
Reg. May 2006
Posted 2006-07-31 8:54 AM (#45711 - in reply to #45645)

Elite Veteran

Good tips , I would also install a trans temp gauge and double check the accuracy of the stock gauge on the engine. You might install an electric fan on the front to blow more air .
barry
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2006-07-31 9:34 AM (#45716 - in reply to #45672)

Veteran

Originally written by siseley on 2006-07-30 1:21 PM
...I can't use synthetic trans oil in my tranny cause it has to have an additive for Chrysler trannys. I would have used it a few years ago, but was told by three different sources NOT to do that. Chrysler, trans rebuilder/ hotrodder trans guy, and another trans shop...

Obviously by my signature I am a proponent of synthetics. I use AMSOIL universal synthetic in my Ram, Neon, & Sable. My dad uses it in his Ram towing a 5th wheel RV. That said, MOPAR (Chrysler) does make a semi-synthetic ATF called ATF+4. Check with your dealer again, ask for a technical service bulletin (TSB) that calls for replacing ATF+3 (non-synthetic) with ATF+4. The TSB number is 21-004-04. Look up the advertising propoganda for ATF+4 on MOPARs website. Do some research. I refrain from making tranny recommendations because of their sensitivity and because many people don't think about their trannys till they start having problems.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)