'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
From AutoBlog re: the 2007 Toyota Tundra

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2006-07-19 8:45 AM
9 replies, 2857 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

arroyoseccofarm
Reg. Apr 2004
Posted 2006-07-17 9:24 PM (#44873)
Subject: From AutoBlog re: the 2007 Toyota Tundra

Veteran

"The new Tundra isn’t so much a shot across the bow of GM, Ford and Dodge as it is a shot at point blank range. It’s bigger in every metric dimension: 10 inches longer, five inches taller and four inches wider. It’s more powerful with its top engine (of three) being a 5.7L i-Force V8 from Toyota’s commercial truck operations. Toyota didn’t reveal how powerful the motor is, but the new Tundra will be capable of towing an amazing 10,000 lbs."

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
majoras
Reg. Jul 2006
Posted 2006-07-17 9:45 PM (#44877 - in reply to #44873)
Subject: RE: From AutoBlog re: the 2007 Toyota Tundra

WOW!!! how much does a 2007 Tundra run.  We have always been Toyota and Honda people.  It is probably the only full-size truck my "non"-horsey husband would drive.

SLICKRNSNOT
Reg. May 2006
Posted 2006-07-17 10:54 PM (#44883 - in reply to #44873)

Elite Veteran

Look out Chevy!!!and Dodge Think it will pull my LQ trailer and 15 horses ? how bout tires will 4 ply get r done or should I go with 5 ?I think I'm ready for a test drive !!
HWBar
Reg. Nov 2005
Posted 2006-07-18 6:29 AM (#44894 - in reply to #44873)

Expert

Toyota is so far away from full-size that I am surprised that anyone is taking them seriously. My brother owns a 2006 Tundra with the V-8 I don't know the the tow rating for the truck is but in the real world he has a 10' pop-up trailer and it sits the Toy's reciever about 5" from the ground (extreme squat). We go to the races in Bristol so we go over Gellico Mtn. he tops Gellico at about 45 miles per hr. with the temp gauge pegged (my Dad was the witness), because I was at the other side waiting on him in my Dodge/Cummins pilling a 14' shortwall 4 Star, topped gellico on cruise control at 65 mph in overdrive. Toyota is not going to give up the comfortable ride to go play with Ford, GM, and Dodge in the heavy truck market.
bonniejf
Reg. Oct 2004
Posted 2006-07-18 8:39 AM (#44905 - in reply to #44894)

Regular

Originally written by HWBar on 2006-07-18 6:29 AM

Toyota is so far away from full-size that I am surprised that anyone is taking them seriously. My brother owns a 2006 Tundra with the V-8 I don't know the the tow rating for the truck is but in the real world he has a 10' pop-up trailer and it sits the Toy's reciever about 5" from the ground (extreme squat). We go to the races in Bristol so we go over Gellico Mtn. he tops Gellico at about 45 miles per hr. with the temp gauge pegged (my Dad was the witness), because I was at the other side waiting on him in my Dodge/Cummins pilling a 14' shortwall 4 Star, topped gellico on cruise control at 65 mph in overdrive. Toyota is not going to give up the comfortable ride to go play with Ford, GM, and Dodge in the heavy truck market.

The point is the 2007 Tundras will be much, much bigger with much, much bigger engines than the current trucks - 2006 and older.  I currently have a 2003 that I use to pull my two horse trailer with.  The only rating I am close to going over is the rear axle weight rating.  It does the job nicely, while giving me a nice vehicle to use as my daily driver.  As soon as the 2007s hit the dealerships, I'll be the first in line.  I haven't had ANY problems out of my current truck (it has 100,000+ miles), and I want that kind of reliability from a larger truck.  As far as price, I've heard that a crew cab 4x4 will start somewhere around $34,000 - but that's just hearsay on the internet.  I've called three dealerships, and no one at any of them could tell me anything about the new truck.  If you google 2007 Toyota Tundra, there are some really nice pictures out there.  Supposedly, they'll go on sale in December or January.

arroyoseccofarm
Reg. Apr 2004
Posted 2006-07-18 7:06 PM (#44995 - in reply to #44905)

Veteran

There is going to be a lot of new competiton in the 1/2 ton truck market as soon as these are on sale.  This will be the first "foreign" (not really foreign: it is made in San Antonio Texas) truck to really have the size, power and tow rating to compete with the full size Ford, Chevy/GM and Dodge trucks.  Competition in this market will heat up even with gas at $3.  Consumers will win because there are more choices and tougher competition. 

I wonder if the market is large enough for them to consider getting into the 3/4 and 1 ton markets.

Edited by arroyoseccofarm 2006-07-18 7:12 PM
MR176
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2006-07-18 9:45 PM (#45005 - in reply to #44995)

Regular

If you go to Toyota's website and click on the 2007 Tundra link, there is a menu for "The Stories". Go to the "Towing and Brakes" tab and they show you a nice picture of the inside of a Ford Super Duty as they talk about ranchers hauling big loads (picture of a guy in the driver's seat talking to a guy outside the driver's window). They don't have much on the new specs yet.
HWBar
Reg. Nov 2005
Posted 2006-07-19 6:30 AM (#45018 - in reply to #44873)

Expert

I say here we go again, Toyota T-100 owners all said they had Toyotas full-sized truck, It flopped in the worst way. Then they come out with the Tundra (a re-tooled T-100) now all the Tundra owners (My brother included) say they have Toyota full sized truck, again a flop compared to Toyota standards. So here they go again saying they are building a FULL-SIZED truck. I'll believe it when I see it tow a bumper pull with 2 horses (not Foals) in it with any kind of ease at all and no modifications. Something that no Tundra can do now. Ask my brother, a Tundra owner. Toyota is very good at building low cost vehicles i.e. Camry and Tocoma then making the profits on the extras. How many ten year old Camry's do you see on the road? How many ten year old Tacomas do you see? When is the last time you saw a T-100? They built them 10 years ago? Toyota builds throw away automobiles, Your not going to see someone putting a rebuilt engine or tranny in a ten year old Toyota.

arroyoseccofarm
Reg. Apr 2004
Posted 2006-07-19 7:43 AM (#45023 - in reply to #45018)

Veteran

I am a VERY loyal GMC truck customer.  However, I have NEVER bought a new truck because I people put rebuilt engines and transmissions in them when they are ten years old. In fact, it had NEVER occurred to me to consider that when I buy a new truck. 

I am reeling with the logic of that one . . .

Anyway it will be interesting to see the new Tundra.  I have no way to judge it until it comes out . . .   It has been my experience that competition is a good thing for the consumer.

Edited by arroyoseccofarm 2006-07-19 7:45 AM
bonniejf
Reg. Oct 2004
Posted 2006-07-19 8:45 AM (#45031 - in reply to #45018)

Regular

Originally written by HWBar on 2006-07-19 6:30 AM

I say here we go again, Toyota T-100 owners all said they had Toyotas full-sized truck, It flopped in the worst way. Then they come out with the Tundra (a re-tooled T-100) now all the Tundra owners (My brother included) say they have Toyota full sized truck, again a flop compared to Toyota standards. So here they go again saying they are building a FULL-SIZED truck. I'll believe it when I see it tow a bumper pull with 2 horses (not Foals) in it with any kind of ease at all and no modifications. Something that no Tundra can do now. Ask my brother, a Tundra owner. Toyota is very good at building low cost vehicles i.e. Camry and Tocoma then making the profits on the extras. How many ten year old Camry's do you see on the road? How many ten year old Tacomas do you see? When is the last time you saw a T-100? They built them 10 years ago? Toyota builds throw away automobiles, Your not going to see someone putting a rebuilt engine or tranny in a ten year old Toyota.

Whatever.  First up, maybe your brother has a lemon or a V-6, but I don't see why he couldn't pull a two horse.  Like I said, I have a 2003 v-8 with no modifications that I pull a two horse gooseneck with.  Does the job just fine.  This truck is far from "a flop."  I have 100,000+ miles and have had NO problems whatsoever.  Throw-away automobiles?  What does that mean?   Chevy and Ford owners rebuild stuff because they don't feel like they've gotten enough life out of their trucks - my truck will go 200,000+, and I'll have gotten every penny's worth out of it.  Again, a non-owner complaining.  Open your mind to the possibilities that other people have different needs that are better met by trucks such as the Tundra.

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)