'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Need some advice

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2006-05-18 10:33 AM
9 replies, 3578 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Horse Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

windwalker2
Reg. Mar 2006
Posted 2006-05-09 9:40 AM (#41492)
Subject: Need some advice

Extreme Veteran

I need some help from you TWH owners out there.  My walker is a great horse on the trail, but really isn't co-ordinated going over logs when he's in a gait.  We gotta "stop" and he then steps over.  (geesh)  I can live with that i guess, but my problem is when we come upon a steep incline he baulks. He attempts to go side to side but gives up. My husbands horse goes down with no problem. (qtr.ab)

Two years ago he fell in the pasture and injured his stifle. Vet was called in, ultrasounded etc., had a year off.  Vet re-sonogramed him and all is well.  Tear was healed.  He's not lame.

We rode fine last year but didn't attempt any steep inclines because of his injury.  What are your opinion's on this incline issue. He goes up these hills fine.  Maybe it's just in-experience?   (he was 4 when I purchased him and is now 7, and didn't have much trail riding exposure)  I also read somewhere that TWH have weak stifles. With that, how do you strengthen them other than going up hills, because I gotta come "down" that hill on the other side, (usually).

Thanks

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
brisco
Reg. Dec 2005
Posted 2006-05-16 8:38 PM (#41811 - in reply to #41492)
Subject: Did You Know . . .

Regular

Don't know that I'm the right person to advise you, but I see nobody else responded.  My very first thought was inexperience.  I also wondered if he had had a bad experience directly related to going down.  It'd be nice if you could pasture him at my place!  He'd have lots of experience soon enough since we have some very steep hills in the large pasture! I haven't any knowledge of TWH stifle weakness.

Elaine

calamityj
Reg. Jun 2005
Posted 2006-05-16 10:24 PM (#41812 - in reply to #41492)
Subject: RE: Need some advice

Elite Veteran

I think it boils down to rider confidence in most cases.... (you can burn me in hell if I am wrong) I have ridden different horses with varied experience... now, after about thirty yrs.... I am pretty sure if you breath a little before you mount... you might be ok... if you hesitate before a jump or a water crossing, he will too
windwalker2
Reg. Mar 2006
Posted 2006-05-17 4:16 AM (#41818 - in reply to #41492)

Extreme Veteran

I believe that you are both right.  My horse's inexperience and my hesitation in going down steep hills could be the problem.  I personally don't like going down the really steep hills which I'm sure my horse picks up on.  I don't think this horse had a bad experience about this issue because he was 4 when I got him and was just put under saddle.  Where he was born and raised at, the area was mostly flat with just a few very very small hills.  

The more I think about this , the more I think it's me rather than the horse.  I had a bad fall off of one of my other horses a few years back. I was on a very narrow steep trail. An inexperienced rider came from behind, too close for comfort which caused my horse to turn quickly, but in the wrong direction, I went head over heels down a cliff..........luckily a log stopped me from going to the bottom......hmmmmm.

I need to do some re-thinking.......

brisco
Reg. Dec 2005
Posted 2006-05-17 8:07 AM (#41819 - in reply to #41492)

Regular

I've never had an accident going down a steep hill, but I too am apprehensive when I'm faced with one.  Do you ride with someone who would trade you horses for an afternoon or something.  You ride a conficent horse and your friend (who is confident) can ride your horse?  Just a thought.

Elaine

windwalker2
Reg. Mar 2006
Posted 2006-05-17 9:03 AM (#41821 - in reply to #41492)

Extreme Veteran

I wish life were that simple for me.  My husband is in the process of training our youngest horse.  She is also learning to manuver down steep hills......

My husband also suggested that he should be riding my horse down these steep hills .......... I just look at him and say,,,,"Oh yeah right, I'll just ride the one that's in training......while you work on mine"  we just laugh.  ( I actually feel safer on mine,hehe

We're going camping this weekend with my horse and our youngest that's in training.  This should be a Kodak moment for sure................

brisco
Reg. Dec 2005
Posted 2006-05-17 9:49 PM (#41856 - in reply to #41492)

Regular

Can you stay in a less hilly terrain for this early ride?  Just a thought.  There is time later for more difficult trails.

Elaine

windwalker2
Reg. Mar 2006
Posted 2006-05-18 5:23 AM (#41860 - in reply to #41856)
Subject: RE: Did You Know . . .

Extreme Veteran

Well, were going to have to go down the steep inclines as best we can. This area is mostly up or down and some leveling off here and there, so there aren't many options available.

This is suppose to be a relaxing weekend, but we will make this a training event too.  It's the only chance we get to train for this type of trail riding.  Our horses are really great on trails,but the steep inclines are a challange because the trails here in Maryland are mostly "hilly" (well at least where we live) rather than steep. This weekend we will be camping in PA. and the terrain there is alot different.  So, it will be a training weekend for sure.

rose
Reg. Feb 2004
Posted 2006-05-18 10:08 AM (#41881 - in reply to #41492)

I too am still a little nervous about going down hills, so what I do is to try the "Zen" I try to clear my mind; not think, just ride the horse (trust the horse, he/she doesn't want to fall down any more than I do). Also I wear a helmet all the time; it does help my confidence. Good luck and happy trails.
windwalker2
Reg. Mar 2006
Posted 2006-05-18 10:33 AM (#41889 - in reply to #41881)

Extreme Veteran

Your right about the helmet.  I should start wearing it again........not just for the safety issue, but the "mental" issue as well....................
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)