'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Good/Bad with entrance door to LQ on driver side.

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2010-02-16 7:28 AM
9 replies, 4227 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

LRP
Reg. May 2008
Posted 2010-02-12 6:35 PM (#116499)
Subject: Good/Bad with entrance door to LQ on driver side.

New User

I'm looking at a LQ with the entrance to the living quarters on the drivers side.  Other than most campsites being set up with the utilities on this side when you back in, are there any other inconveniences with this type of setup.
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
dkhunter04
Reg. Oct 2008
Posted 2010-02-12 6:54 PM (#116500 - in reply to #116499)
Subject: RE: Good/Bad with entrance door to LQ on driver side.

Regular

Our LQ has the entrance on the driver's side and I have not found it to be a problem.  When camping with friends who have their door on the passenger side we set up camp by backing in so the doors face each other.  Open the canopies so they almost touch, add a picnic table, and you have a great place to eat and relax.   
flyinghfarm
Reg. Mar 2004
Posted 2010-02-12 10:35 PM (#116505 - in reply to #116499)

Expert

Same as above........works fine for us..
Jeepplr
Reg. Oct 2007
Posted 2010-02-12 11:27 PM (#116506 - in reply to #116499)

Veteran

My trailer has the entrance on the driver side.  The problem I have run into is my power cord is also on the drives side, a tripping hazzard with young kids, and my water and sewer on the pax side.  I have run into issues being able to dump with my setup.  What I do is tell the campground that my trailer is built backwards and I just need to go into a sight the "wrong" way.  Usually they want to come out and see what it is that I am speaking of, then I get a pull through sight and I pull in the wrong way. 

The other down side is roadside potty stops, with our trailer we have to watch out for traffic on normal trailers you have to watch out for thorn bushes each has its tradeoffs.

It is nice having the awnings meet when camping with friends.  It is awkward when the people at the other sight don't know you if you are pulled in normally.

The tradeoffs have not been enough for me to want to trade the trailer off.

retento
Reg. Aug 2004
Posted 2010-02-13 3:10 AM (#116507 - in reply to #116499)

Expert

We have a Silver Star with all the doors on the drivers side. 7' straight wall DR, 3' short wall mid-tack, escape door on first stall. I like it that way simply because I'm in a wheelchair so it cutsdown on "travel time", from the trucks drivers seat to the "bathroom"!! Most of the time if I've got room enough to get myself and wheelchair out of the truck, then I got room to get to and into the trailer. It does become a bit awkward at a campground, seems that they all cater to trailers with curb side doorways. We got another trailer (6 horse head to head) with the DR door on the curb side and a center horse area walk in door on the drivers side..... Haven't gotten used to that yet.

Cowgirl-h
Reg. Feb 2010
Posted 2010-02-15 5:23 PM (#116619 - in reply to #116499)

Regular

Hi there,

My holiday trailer has it's door to the driver's door, and we haven't had any issues with it. Likewise, my in-law's fifth-wheel holiday trailer also has the door to the driver's side. Our electrical plug-in is on the curb side, the sewer dump is on the driver's side, and we seldom have problems with dumping sewer. In most cases you just approach from the direction that suits you best. Likewise, my gooseneck horse trailer has its door on the driver's side, too, in many ways i find it handy because sometimes I'm at dayshows or functions where I remain hooked up. It's nice to be able to hop in and out without running around the entire vehicles length.

So obviously the choice of which side has a LQ door is a matter of opinion - it seems many trailers are sold either way. I personally wouldn't hesitate if I liked the rest of the trailer.

flyinghfarm
Reg. Mar 2004
Posted 2010-02-15 7:26 PM (#116629 - in reply to #116499)

Expert

One thing I like on ours, the door, and all hookups and awning are all on the same side of the trailer.....if I have horses tied to the other side there is nothing for them to break, if they were to be so inclined.  If they are very trustworthy, and I want them under the awning, then that option is available.
301duster
Reg. Jan 2009
Posted 2010-02-15 8:56 PM (#116632 - in reply to #116499)

Veteran

I've had 2 trailers with it on the left and 2 on the right.  Really didn't give door side any consideration.  I liked the rest of the trailer and that's why I bought them.  If I were to order one I'd probably get it on the right(curb) side.  Reason, I like my tank dumps opposite my door.  But I don't think that's a good reason to pass on a trailer if you like it.
gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2010-02-15 9:58 PM (#116635 - in reply to #116499)

Expert

We have two trailers, each with an entry door on opposite sides. The shortest trailer has a street side door and a 4' short wall. By having the door located there, the uninterrupted 8' long wall is fitted with the galley, storage and bathroom.

Our other trailer has a 13' short wall and a curbside entry. Each of its walls is long enough to place an entry door, wherever it works best for an optimum interior layout.

I don't think one placement is any better than the other. We primarily attend shows, which allow for trailer locations on both sides of a pole. If we get in a tight spot, I carry a 30' shore extension. If we used camp grounds a lot, the door placement would probably be more of a concern.

Dunoir
Reg. Sep 2005
Posted 2010-02-16 7:28 AM (#116643 - in reply to #116499)

Elite Veteran

I have a 2H, 5ft shortwall with the driver's side entry door and prefer it as it gives me a much longer long wall than if it was on the other side.  In the real long trailers, I don't think it would matter as much.  
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)