'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Title on trailers

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2008-12-02 8:10 PM
9 replies, 13986 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

BarbW
Reg. Dec 2008
Posted 2008-12-02 7:50 AM (#95587)
Subject: Title on trailers

New User

No Title on trailer!! Help we found the trailer we wanted, we are ready to buy with cash, however, the person we are buying from said they don't have a title, they purchased the trailer a year ago from leonard trailer and they only provided a bill of sale.  They borrowed money from a bank on their business not the trailer so there is not a lien on the trailer. Any thoughts on wether I should consider this trailer, we do not have to license in KY and they said they don't have to license in Oklahoma.  Any input is greatly appreciated.

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
Tresvolte
Reg. Feb 2008
Posted 2008-12-02 8:07 AM (#95588 - in reply to #95587)
Subject: RE: Title on trailers

99% of used trailers in Oklahoma will not have a title. Out of 5 different trailers that I own, I have one that has a title. It is on a Texas title signed over to me. The two trailers that I have bought new have a Certificate of Origin, but I have never titled them. The others, I have a bill of sale.
ridingarocky
Reg. Aug 2008
Posted 2008-12-02 8:48 AM (#95590 - in reply to #95587)

Elite Veteran

I bought my trailer brand new from the dealer, and I don't recall ever seeing a title on it either.. I guess I need to go dig through the filing cabinet..
gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2008-12-02 9:13 AM (#95591 - in reply to #95587)

Expert

Some states require a current title as proof of ownership. Our state, PA is one of them. Others do not. I would recommend you contact your state's local motor vehicle department for the correct answer.

Gard

horsey1
Reg. Dec 2004
Posted 2008-12-02 9:16 AM (#95593 - in reply to #95587)

Elite Veteran

You might not need a title in your state, but be aware that resale can suffer greatly because many states require titles, and you will not be able to sell it to a resident of one of those states. And more states are tightening up on title/license plate requirements.
retento
Reg. Aug 2004
Posted 2008-12-02 9:33 AM (#95595 - in reply to #95587)

Expert

Here in North Carolina, if you pay cash for a trailer you'll recieve a bill of sale, a "Certificate of Origin" and a title application. You'll then apply and recieve a title. If you borrow from a bank/lending institution, you'll recieve a "payment book"!!! After the debt is settled you'll then recieve a title. Also, starting on Oct. 1st 2008, North Carolina will not issue your license tag renewal until the trailer has been through a motor vehicle safety inspection.....They're still trying to get all the inspection stations online to implement that one. In N.C. you'll never get a trailer paid for... Initial cost of the trailer is just the beginning, annual property tax, annual license tag fee, annual N.C. motor vehicle safety inspection. Plus the extra insurance we carry to cover the trailers for theft, fire, tornado, hurricanes, falling trees, stupid a$$ folks at the shows, etc. I don't really understand how other states operate so far as licensing and titles. (living on the same farm for 50 years) I do know that North Carolina seem to have alot stricter regulations than some other states.

Edited by retento 2008-12-02 9:36 AM
Tresvolte
Reg. Feb 2008
Posted 2008-12-02 10:28 AM (#95601 - in reply to #95587)

This is from the Oklahoma Tax Commission website. http://www.tax.ok.gov/rules/PRrules08/PRO60-08.pdf Note that you can purchase a tag for a farm trailer, but a title may not be issued. The only way that I have ever had an Oklahoma title on a trailer is if it is commercial.

(b) Farm trailers. Farm trailers are not required to be registered. An optional farm trailer tag is

available. These tags are for registration purposes only and a title may not be issued for them. If a

serial number is stamped on the trailer, it will be used for the VIN on the registration. Otherwise,

the Social Security number of the owner will be used. A monthly and yearly decal will be issued to

expire one year from date of registration

windy
Reg. Oct 2004
Posted 2008-12-02 10:40 AM (#95602 - in reply to #95587)

The advice to contact your state's Motor Vehicle Department is correct. I just bought a used trailer from a seller in Oklahoma who never was issued a title. I contacted my Motor Vehicle Department, and they told me what I would need in order to get a Colorado title. What they wanted here is a signed and notarized bill of sale, and an MSO or a signed over registration. Your state may be different. It will probably help if the seller will cooperate and help you get the paperwork your state requires. Good luck!

luckeys71
Reg. Dec 2007
Posted 2008-12-02 12:04 PM (#95610 - in reply to #95587)

Regular

You would probably have problems selling the trailer.  In Virginia, you must have a Title for a trailer.  I was looking at purchasing one without a Title, just a Bill of Sale, from another state and contacted my DMV and they said it could not be Titled in VA, so I did not buy it and won't consider buying any used trailer without a Title.  They CAN be Titled in VA as homemade, but I'm not sure what kind of hoops you have to jump through to do it.  I bet a lot and it just isn't worth it.  I currently have a trailer that is Titled as homemade from a previous owner not having the Title.  It is obviously not homemade, because you can even see the spot where the Manufacturer's tag was removed.  It now has a tag attached with a VA DMV issued VIN number.
Painted Horse
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2008-12-02 8:10 PM (#95641 - in reply to #95587)

Expert

I bought a trailer in Oregon in August and brought it home to Utah.  Took the bill of sale and registration into the DMV and they had a police officer go out and inspect the trailer to make sure the serial numbers all matched and then they issed me a Utah Title. It's the same process I go through to get a Utah title when I bring a pickup or car into Utah.

Go to your local DMV. They will tell you what they need to issue a title in YOUR state.

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)