'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
batteries please help

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2008-04-08 11:48 AM
12 replies, 6062 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

kershawsowner
Reg. Jan 2006
Posted 2007-09-18 10:08 PM (#68078)
Subject: batteries please help

Veteran

hello everyone need help,,, we just got back from camping i have a lq trailer.. it has two marine batteries in front one bigger than the other...my hydrawlic jack barely went up and the lights were dim..the batteries are 3 and half yrs old..my question is how do i know if the power converter is charging right. do they go out very often?? im going to replace the batteries (after having them checked) which i feel that is the culprit here but i dont want my new batteries to run all the way down.. when home we have it plugged in most all the time...any help would be great.. also what name brand marrine batteries are best?? the ones in it now are interstate... thanks again
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
hosspuller
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2007-09-19 8:41 AM (#68090 - in reply to #68078)
Subject: RE: batteries please help

Expert

Part of your problem might be the two batteries.  If they're unmatched, they will self-discharge.

A better solution than just replacing them is to use two batteries in series totaling the original system voltage.

Golf cart batteries are readily available, designed for deep cycle, and relatively cheap.

Painted Horse
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2007-09-19 9:14 AM (#68092 - in reply to #68078)

Expert

Take your batteries over to a local Auto Part store. AutoZone, Checker etc all offer free battery checks. They can tell you if your battery cells are dead.

A Lot of batteries only last 3 years. So I would 1st look at the batteries just being worn out.

And if you replace them. Buy two that are matched as mentioned above.

horsey1
Reg. Dec 2004
Posted 2007-09-19 10:11 AM (#68095 - in reply to #68078)

Elite Veteran

And if it stays plugged in, check the water in the batteries at least every month.
And mine only last 1-2 years, tops.... Interstate are good. Deka are good too.
H1
perfect11s
Reg. Sep 2005
Posted 2007-09-19 3:10 PM (#68110 - in reply to #68078)

Regular

easy way to check your converter is charging is to buy a cheap multimeter from a electronic parts store, should be  around 14v on and about 12.5v with the converter off.. after its been on for a few hours.. oh had a interstate batery on my lance camper lasted about 4 years  then seemed to lose capacity, realised it needed replacing when the furnace quit on a cold night... seems baterys last about 3 years,after that on borowed time...hope this helps..

Edited by perfect11s 2007-09-19 3:19 PM
martyg
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2007-09-23 9:43 PM (#68295 - in reply to #68078)

Veteran

Hi, noticed in your post you mentioned you leave the trailer plugged in most of the time you are home.  If your lq has one of the standard RV type converters, be advised most of these have a very basic battery charging circuit that will likey overcharge your batteries, causing them to "boil" and buildup on the lead plates decreasing life.  I would suggest not keeping your converter plugged in all the time.  Also, you may want to consider using two standard 6 volt golf cart batteries hooked up in series for replacements.  These batteries will require you to maintain the water levels but if cared for should give several years of good service.  They are usually superior to the "marine" type batteries which are usually a compromise between a deep cycle and starting battery.  The golf cart batteries will hold up to vibration better.  Check out phrannie.org for some good pratical advise on converters and batteries.  PS, if you go with the 6 volt batteries make sure they will fit into your battery box or tray.  Regards.
captclank
Reg. Feb 2006
Posted 2007-09-23 10:09 PM (#68296 - in reply to #68078)

Veteran

I leave my LQ plugged in all the time. I was told that if I turn off the master switch to the batteries, they will not boil over and to just turn the master back on occasionally to keep them charged. I was "told" this, but not sure if it accurate. Any help, opinions, or input would be appreciated. Thanks.
PaulChristenson
Reg. Jan 2007
Posted 2007-09-23 10:22 PM (#68298 - in reply to #68078)

Expert

I always use an external device...

http://www.nextag.com/trickle-charger/search-html

kershawsowner
Reg. Jan 2006
Posted 2007-09-24 4:31 AM (#68305 - in reply to #68078)

Veteran

thanks everyone for all the help... took trailer to rv place friday and come to find out it was a blown fuse in the truck (something like my main hot ) the truck was not charging going down the road so the battery was getting weak at least that is what they said i watched them and there was a fuse blown and replaced they had a meter checking the batterys,converter,etc...we went this wkend and all was fine...i will keep my fingers crossed.. it does not seem that it should go down in a 5 hour trip the only thing on was the refrig which has to have battery with the propane,the radio light,micro light display and a couple of saftey devices hard wired in...they said the batterys checked fine but i would not complain if i had to replace them to much the trailer is 04 model...i do leave it plugged in and turn the batteries off and three or four days a month turn them on..there is alot of opionions on this part all i know is they have done wonderful so far and i think i will keep doing it that way...again thanks for all the help  happy trails
jd&ez
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2007-09-24 8:19 PM (#68347 - in reply to #68078)

Regular

UOTE]Originally written by kershawsowner on 2007-09-18 10:08 PM

hello everyone need help,,, we just got back from camping i have a lq trailer.. it has two marine batteries in front one bigger than the other...my hydrawlic jack barely went up and the lights were dim..the batteries are 3 and half yrs old..my question is how do i know if the power converter is charging right. do they go out very often?? im going to replace the batteries (after having them checked) which i feel that is the culprit here but i dont want my new batteries to run all the way down.. when home we have it plugged in most all the time...any help would be great.. also what name brand marrine batteries are best?? the ones in it now are interstate... thanks again

If they are 3 1/2 years old, replace them. You have already gotten 1 1/2 more years than most get with deep cell batteries. As for plugging all the time, if you have a quality LQ, they have put in a charger that will not overcharge the batteries and even a safety. Outlaw always puts in the safety. Most of the finer LQ installers do as well.

barnrats
Reg. Feb 2008
Posted 2008-04-07 6:38 PM (#81412 - in reply to #68078)

we have a new lq that has NO manuals.  how do you know which position to have the switch (converter??) in for charging??  be patient with me, very new at this!!

brushycreekranch
Reg. Jun 2006
Posted 2008-04-07 9:33 PM (#81419 - in reply to #68078)

We use the system below on our LQ batteries. I leave my trailer plugged in all the time. On the 1st weekend of every month, the batteries get a fill up of distilled water. Neat little gadget takes all the guess work out of whether or not the batteries need water.

Flow-Rite Remote Battery Fill Systems

CLUB Price: $14.99 - $61.99

http://www.campingworld.com/browse/products/index.cfm?prodID=4592&src=SRQB

knottynuff
Reg. Feb 2008
Posted 2008-04-08 11:48 AM (#81449 - in reply to #68078)

There is absoutely no reason why batteries on a trailer if cared for shouldnt last for 5-6 years.  We sell lots of batteries here and its usually continous draining and fully charging them up, over charging them, freezing them, and running them dry is the reasons a battery will not survive.

In my opinion its VERY important to get a deep cycle marine battery for your trailer.  A Deep cycle can take the ups and downs much better then just a regular battery can.

Also you may want to consider purchasing a solar panel to help keep your batteries charged while you are away for the weekend.

Keeping 2 12 of the same size is also very important.  We suggest you get a D31 series if possible, its a bigger battery and more money but they are by far the best.  If you can not find a 31 series then go with a 27.  Many people just stick with the 24's and they will not last as long either.

If you drive lots of rough roads and such, you may also want to consider a gel battery, but they do not take the rise and fall as good as the others.

Good luck, definately replace your batteries.  But if they are cared for, there is no reason they shouldnt last.

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)