'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Will The Trailer Fit My Truck?

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2008-04-06 10:36 PM
9 replies, 4821 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

DKB
Reg. Apr 2008
Posted 2008-04-03 8:39 PM (#81097)
Subject: Will The Trailer Fit My Truck?

After much searching i've ordered a new tailer. After which I can upon this Trailer Talk website. I've been lurking and learning much from all your wisdom, however I now am a litter worried as to weather the trailer will fit with the height of my truck. Can you help?

The truck: a GMC 2000 Sierra 2500 4X4 Ground to top rail is 53"
Inside bed to top of rail 19"
Bed length 78"
Ball in a turn over and is positioned a little forward of the axels.

Will the gooseneck be to close to the rails?
Will I need to have Blocks or rear/spacer, I read about on this site?
Trailer is a 2H Slant w/5'Wkend By Merhow. Start Bld. date 4/21.
It will have escape door with drop window and the axle will be moved back
a little per the dealer. She said it shouldn't affect the tow??
Will the trailer slant?

This now keeps me up at night please help.
Donna

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
hosspuller
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2008-04-03 11:21 PM (#81106 - in reply to #81097)
Subject: RE: Will The Trailer Fit My Truck?

Expert

Only Merhow can reassure you.  They can build the trailer with a bulkhead wall to match the truck.  Provide the truck info you posted to your trailer dealer.  Have your dealer ask Merhow how much clearance your truck will have.  Remember that each inch of bulkhead wall reduces the height of the sleeping area.   Extra tall trailers are nice for this reason.

I have 9.5 inches from top of tailgate to bottom of GN...and have come close to a crunch several times.

DKB
Reg. Apr 2008
Posted 2008-04-04 10:40 AM (#81160 - in reply to #81106)

Thanks Hosspuller for your reply. I emailed the dealer and ask specificly howmuch clearence I will have. Previously, I didn't give the inch detail and only generally ask if it would fit. The dealer i'm working with is Horse Pro Trailers in Atlanta Ga. and have found them to be very helpfull and honest.
I have no complants, they work with all the many questions I have, and will, I'm sure be responsive to this specific request.

I'm very excited the have my order in the que and the LQ will be new to me.
The deatils are as follows.
Merhow 16' box Equistar aluminum skin over steel frame
Wood floors with truckbed liner spray on floors and all exposed steel.
2H Slant with escape door and drops with guards for both horses
Walkthrough to Lq.
LQ is 5' with shower,sink and cabinets,AC with heat strip.30 gal water
in bootbox with a faucet undergoosneck. One LP and battery. Wired for microwave and freg. to be purchased at a more resonable price.
Awnning and step to LQ are the extras I'll love on this Merhow.

I currently own a 1987 2H straight Merhow verylite,wood floors, looks almost new. I've always taken care with the cleaning of the floors and
all else. However it's time for LQ. no more sleeping in a tent for this 50 yr. old body. Hubby loves to ride, but only gets a chane once to twice a year. Mostly will be for my Endurance riding overnite stays.

I'll post what the reply is.

Donna

5'
flyinghfarm
Reg. Mar 2004
Posted 2008-04-04 8:38 PM (#81207 - in reply to #81097)

Expert

Congrats, Donna, on the upcoming trailer!  I, 50 too, have done the tent and all, and am now very happy to have an LQ to "come home to" and you shall so enjoy yours!  Hubby also is a rider, but busy enough I am "it" most of the time!  Pictures when you get your rig!
genebob
Reg. Nov 2007
Posted 2008-04-04 9:06 PM (#81210 - in reply to #81097)

Elite Veteran

Donna- I'm very happy for you that you are getting the trailer you want. Both my wife and I ride and love to hit the trails. I'm 52 and learned a long time ago that I don't like sleeping on the ground in a tent, but only got my LQ five years ago. Good luck! Merhow makes a quality trailer
DKB
Reg. Apr 2008
Posted 2008-04-05 8:11 PM (#81287 - in reply to #81106)

My truck concern/question I had has been answered. I contacted my dealer, Horse Pro in Atlanta GA. With exact measurements of my truck and they supplied the answer to me right away. As well, Merhow called me and ask a few more measurement questions. My truck and the Merhow will be a good fit. Merhow did say the changes to the trailer I ask about, “can be done no problem” but they felt unnecessary for my truck and trailer fit. I’m back to sleeping well….. no more worrying about the truck trailer fit.

I'll keep all posted.
Donna
happyrider929
Reg. Jul 2007
Posted 2008-04-05 10:35 PM (#81294 - in reply to #81097)

Regular

I hope you have better luck with your Equistar than my friend had with her late-model Equistar. It has a very flimsy feel to it and she has had to make numerous repairs.
PaulChristenson
Reg. Jan 2007
Posted 2008-04-06 8:35 PM (#81341 - in reply to #81287)

Expert

Originally written by DKB on 2008-04-05 9:11 PM

My truck concern/question I had has been answered. I contacted my dealer, Horse Pro in Atlanta GA. With exact measurements of my truck and they supplied the answer to me right away. As well, Merhow called me and ask a few more measurement questions. My truck and the Merhow will be a good fit. Merhow did say the changes to the trailer I ask about, “can be done no problem” but they felt unnecessary for my truck and trailer fit. I’m back to sleeping well….. no more worrying about the truck trailer fit. I'll keep all posted. Donna

Well, if you do happen to be too tight...no problem...

http://mrtruck.net/popup.htm

DKB
Reg. Apr 2008
Posted 2008-04-06 8:39 PM (#81343 - in reply to #81294)

Happyrider,

I traveled 6 hours to Elkhar IN. home of Merhow Mfg., to see the the building of and feel the stability, and can honestly say, this are the reasons I chose the Merhow Equistar. I also traveled to Louisanna to see a used Equistar 2001 , custom built and the options the original owner had installed I wouldn't want. And the LQ install could have been added later which makes a difference. I've seen many other trailer types Featherlite and Exiss, Sundowner, Hawk, Jamco. Some feel flimsy and some don't, just depends on the steel, alumun, axles, flooring ,insulation etc... I will keep ya posted.

Thanks for wishing me luck.
Donna
loveduffy
Reg. Feb 2006
Posted 2008-04-06 10:36 PM (#81357 - in reply to #81097)

Expert

There is nothing like that new trailer smell or the first time you tow it ,good luck have fun
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)