'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Generators- gas or propane

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2008-03-28 5:33 PM
14 replies, 7154 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

saseybold
Reg. Mar 2008
Posted 2008-03-20 5:03 PM (#79993)
Subject: Generators- gas or propane

Can anyone give me their opinions/experiences with gas vs. propane generators? Pros & cons???
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
perfect11s
Reg. Sep 2005
Posted 2008-03-20 5:25 PM (#79994 - in reply to #79993)
Subject: RE: Generators- gas or propane

Regular

Mine runs on propane its handy  to have it run off  the propane tank, pros=does not make as much  fumes seems to run smoother also gasoline goes stale after a while and causes hard or non starting if you dont use it   dont have to carry gasoline not too bad if that's what your truck runs off you can top of your gen when you fill the truck but other wise a pain.. would say the cons are more expensive to buy and install hope this helps..  

retento
Reg. Aug 2004
Posted 2008-03-20 8:26 PM (#80004 - in reply to #79993)

Expert

Gasoline. You get more power from gasoline, (more btu's than propane). Readily available more so than propane. Add "stabil" fuel stabilizer to the gasoline and it will be fresh beyond a year or more. I got an old 5 hp 2500 watt Briggs and Stratton that get cranked once a year and it will start on the first pull with 1 year old 87 octane with a shot of stabil in it. You get what works best for you, it may be Propane, Gasoline or it may be Diesel.

Gasoline fits my program.

PaulChristenson
Reg. Jan 2007
Posted 2008-03-20 9:02 PM (#80009 - in reply to #79993)

Expert

One downside of gasoline...is it is Yet Another Fuel you have to haul...especially if your truck is diesel...

retento
Reg. Aug 2004
Posted 2008-03-20 9:21 PM (#80011 - in reply to #79993)

Expert

My truck ain't diesel. It gas......Alot of gas!
brushycreekranch
Reg. Jun 2006
Posted 2008-03-21 7:59 AM (#80035 - in reply to #79993)

We had a LQ trailer that had a propane generator. I loved the trailer but HATED the generator. We travel out West  and found propane really hard to get in places. Several places would NOT fill the big bottles on the trailer so we would have to fight with them to get the big heavy awkward tanks on and off thru thier access doors since we had the covered front on that trailer. Never again.............If I had it to do all over again, I would have had the propane generator changed out to a gasoline one before I took delivery. Other  than that issue, the trailer was my all time favorite. 
saseybold
Reg. Mar 2008
Posted 2008-03-21 10:35 AM (#80044 - in reply to #79993)

Gee, thanks everyone for your feedback!

I asked because we DO have a propane generator on our LQ. We have a 3-horse, Barrett w/ 12' LQ. We've had this trailer for about 4 years now, but have not used it as much as we'd like:)

We had a bunch of problems with it dieing on us in the beginning...sputtering & not running smooth. We got it worked on by several people (some warranty), but it took going to several "generator" folks before we found someone who really knew what they were doing. I believe it had everything to do with how the fuel line was feeding. At any rate, it runs our rig quite nicely now. Only other issue we've had with it, is since it's located under the last manger, the fumes seem to sneak into the living area & sets the derned gas alarm off all the time (even with the window closed. We've had to disconnect it, but I don't like having it disconnected. I know my husband was SERIOUSLY considering switching over to gas for a while, LOL! We also pull with a Dodge diesel. We wonder if having it up top (we have a hay rack) would be better too???

Edited by saseybold 2008-03-21 10:37 AM
retento
Reg. Aug 2004
Posted 2008-03-21 11:00 AM (#80047 - in reply to #79993)

Expert

Maybe you need something like this to route the generators exhaust up high and away from your LQ....  http://www.campingworld.com/browse/skus/index.cfm?skunum=14041

http://www.buygenturi.com/genturi/genturi.cfm

Edited by retento 2008-03-21 11:05 AM
saseybold
Reg. Mar 2008
Posted 2008-03-21 12:05 PM (#80050 - in reply to #79993)

Hey thanks!!! That's a great idea. I looked at the sites you posted but didn't see anything specific to propane. I guess that wouldn't make a difference???
retento
Reg. Aug 2004
Posted 2008-03-21 12:45 PM (#80053 - in reply to #79993)

Expert

Carbon Monoxide is Carbon Monoxide, whether it be from diesel, gas, LP or butane. Our generator is in the back of the truck. I always try to park it with the generator exhaust pointed away from the trailer and "down wind".
hounddog
Reg. Dec 2005
Posted 2008-03-21 4:04 PM (#80073 - in reply to #79993)

Expert

Propane doesen't gum up and go bad like gasoline.A winter with no use causes gas to go bad and dry up/stop up carburators.Not so with propane.
longearsrule
Reg. Apr 2006
Posted 2008-03-21 9:52 PM (#80099 - in reply to #79993)

Extreme Veteran

I have an Onan propane generator mounted in the bed of my pickup with two bottles mounted next to it. It is wired so I can start it from inside the trailer. The exhaust is piped out thru the bottom of the bed and to the side. I have had it about 4 years and haven't had any problems with it at all.
Rockin'TK
Reg. May 2007
Posted 2008-03-26 11:15 PM (#80422 - in reply to #80044)

Originally written by saseybold on 2008-03-21 10:35 AM

Gee, thanks everyone for your feedback! I asked because we DO have a propane generator on our LQ. We have a 3-horse, Barrett w/ 12' LQ. We've had this trailer for about 4 years now, but have not used it as much as we'd like:) We had a bunch of problems with it dieing on us in the beginning...sputtering & not running smooth. We got it worked on by several people (some warranty), but it took going to several "generator" folks before we found someone who really knew what they were doing. I believe it had everything to do with how the fuel line was feeding. At any rate, it runs our rig quite nicely now. Only other issue we've had with it, is since it's located under the last manger, the fumes seem to sneak into the living area & sets the derned gas alarm off all the time (even with the window closed. We've had to disconnect it, but I don't like having it disconnected. I know my husband was SERIOUSLY considering switching over to gas for a while, LOL! We also pull with a Dodge diesel. We wonder if having it up top (we have a hay rack) would be better too???

Try and stay away from mounting on top of trailer!  Hard to get serviced!  Also the gas gen will start leaking gas out of the carb. if you don't keep the fuel shut off when driving!  The dieing  and sputtering problem you are having or had is air in the line and or spark plug.  If the gen is mounted in the rear of the trailer and the bottles is on under the gooseneck that means the lp line runs all the way under the bottom or the trailer and with little running the line will get aire in it.  One of my old trailer had the smae problem, until I was told to make sure the lp stays full when mot using the gen.  My new trailer the gen is under the gooseneck right below the lp bottles so the fuel line is only a foot long and it is GREAT!

Jellbelle
Reg. Mar 2008
Posted 2008-03-27 12:12 AM (#80423 - in reply to #79993)

Okay, five full years of lurking and I feel compelled to answer this one.  We LOVE our Onan propane generator.  It sits on the floor in the rear tack.  The propane tank is mounted in the rear corner of the side manger (trailer is 8' wide).  Exhaust vents out the side, a few holes are drilled in the bottom of the manger for potential propane leakage. 

Run out of propane?  Just swap out with one of the 2 tanks up front.  No third fuel (dually runs on diesel), clean, no mess.  Use a separate tank for it though--and no, it really doesn't take up that much extra space in the manger.  If you are running the generator off of the front tanks that could be a potential problem with the longer lines, particularly if you live where it is COLD.  We've never had a problem and have tons of hours on ours.  I repeat--LOVE the Onan propane generator!

Oops--one caveat--we have on-board starting, so if the batteries get low . . . well, that's where the portable power comes in handy!!

saseybold
Reg. Mar 2008
Posted 2008-03-28 5:33 PM (#80545 - in reply to #79993)

Quote: "The dieing and sputtering problem you are having or had is air in the line and or spark plug. If the gen is mounted in the rear of the trailer and the bottles is on under the gooseneck that means the lp line runs all the way under the bottom or the trailer and with little running the line will get aire in it. "

ABSOLUTELY!! That's it. So, maybe we'll have this problem again ya think? Would it be better to put an additional propane tank in there with it (under manger) with a shorter line?

Glad to hear that some really do like theirs.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)