'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Bison Trailer Corporate

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2007-09-28 5:28 PM
7 replies, 4874 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

Lynn0202
Reg. Jan 2004
Posted 2007-09-27 2:33 PM (#68482)
Subject: Bison Trailer Corporate

Veteran

Does anybody know how to get in touch with Bison's decision makers?

I've been running circles with a lady in the office who's boss has been out of town about the GVWR on my trailer's sticker and am not satisfied my requests are being interpreted correctly (she originally thought the GVWR was how much the trailer actually weighed).

Thank you!

Edited by Lynn0202 2007-09-27 2:35 PM
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
PaulChristenson
Reg. Jan 2007
Posted 2007-09-27 5:22 PM (#68488 - in reply to #68482)
Subject: RE: Bison Trailer Corporate

Expert

Originally written by Lynn0202 on 2007-09-27 3:33 PM

Does anybody know how to get in touch with Bison's decision makers?

I've been running circles with a lady in the office who's boss has been out of town about the GVWR on my trailer's sticker and am not satisfied my requests are being interpreted correctly (she originally thought the GVWR was how much the trailer actually weighed).

Thank you!

Their website... http://www.bisontrailer.com/

Ask them a question... http://www.bisontrailer.com/ask-us-a-question.asp

Out of curiosity... 

What are the numbers?

And what do you think they should be?

Edited by PaulChristenson 2007-09-27 5:26 PM
Cloud9
Reg. Feb 2006
Posted 2007-09-27 9:01 PM (#68498 - in reply to #68482)

Extreme Veteran

I have an '05 Bison Alumasport 3H w/ 10' LQ and an 8' slide out. the sticker says GVWR is 17,000 lb. My '04 Dodge 3500 diesel has a GVWR of 12,000. That is the capacity of each. We have weighed at CAT certified scales and at MFA scales going for a week's trip -2 horses, 2 dogs, 2 people, all tack and 6-8 bales of hay, plus camping gear. and are usually around total weight of 23, 400 lbs actual weight. So, it's pretty hard to load the rig to it's capacity.

Don't be overly concerned if the rating on your trailer is more than you carry.
HWBar
Reg. Nov 2005
Posted 2007-09-28 5:09 AM (#68508 - in reply to #68498)

Expert

Originally written by Cloud9 on 2007-09-27 9:01 PM

I have an '05 Bison Alumasport 3H w/ 10' LQ and an 8' slide out. the sticker says GVWR is 17,000 lb. My '04 Dodge 3500 diesel has a GVWR of 12,000. That is the capacity of each. We have weighed at CAT certified scales and at MFA scales going for a week's trip -2 horses, 2 dogs, 2 people, all tack and 6-8 bales of hay, plus camping gear. and are usually around total weight of 23, 400 lbs actual weight. So, it's pretty hard to load the rig to it's capacity. Don't be overly concerned if the rating on your trailer is more than you carry.

Knowing that a 04' CC Dodge Dually weighed 7400 with a half tank of fuel, You have a very heavy trailer, somewhere around 16,000 lbs. That's a load.

Teri
Reg. Sep 2007
Posted 2007-09-28 6:02 AM (#68509 - in reply to #68482)

So what does that mean - GVWR? I know I've been told before, because I had to replace my axles to a heavier weight on my old Sundowner trailer - apparently the 5 lug wheels/axles weren't heavy enough when I finished out the inside LQ.
I've been seriously looking at Bison trailers, and called the corporate office myself to ask a few questions concerning service, since there are no Bison dealers here in OK. The man I spoke with was very nice. It's listed on their website, or if you need it, I can get it to you. Please let me know how you like your trailer, before I sign the dotted line!
Lynn0202
Reg. Jan 2004
Posted 2007-09-28 8:57 AM (#68518 - in reply to #68482)

Veteran

Thanks for the replies.

The GVWR is the total capacity of the vehicle, in this case the trailer's total weight plus everything else it can carry. My understanding is the figure is generally the axles ratings plus an allowance for weight that would be transferred to the tow vehicles' axles.

I love my trailer. I bought it brand new from Dixie Horse & Mule in Conyers, GA at the end of March. I found when I got the trailer that the racks for the saddles were placed too closely together for our western saddles to fit easily. Before I took the rack to get the seats moved farther apart, they actually fell off (the welds from the pole to the seats broke). Bison allowed me to have a local welder fix the rack and I got the move the seats further apart, so I was happy. DH&M spent a lot of time with us going over how everything worked in the LQ (we got the 10' Trail Express) and we have been very pleased with everything about the trailer.

I am contacting Bison (or trying to) about the GWVR after the Iowa posting. The axles on my trailer are 7,000 lbs each. THe GWVR on my trailer is 16,646 plus my truck 10,500 puts me over the 26,000 lbs and into potential CDL category. I have a statement from teh SC DOT telling me I don't need a CDL if the rig is for recreational purposes only but the DMV said I do (I sent both departments the exact same question). I've heard others were able to get revised stickers from their trailer manufacturers but so far, I've not found the person at Bison who handles these things & have only gotten a go between who hasn't got a clue about the terminology.

I hope that answers everybody's questions.

PaulChristenson
Reg. Jan 2007
Posted 2007-09-28 3:34 PM (#68542 - in reply to #68518)

Expert

Originally written by Lynn0202 on 2007-09-28 9:57 AM

Thanks for the replies.

The GVWR is the total capacity of the vehicle, in this case the trailer's total weight plus everything else it can carry. My understanding is the figure is generally the axles ratings plus an allowance for weight that would be transferred to the tow vehicles' axles.

I love my trailer. I bought it brand new from Dixie Horse & Mule in Conyers, GA at the end of March. I found when I got the trailer that the racks for the saddles were placed too closely together for our western saddles to fit easily. Before I took the rack to get the seats moved farther apart, they actually fell off (the welds from the pole to the seats broke). Bison allowed me to have a local welder fix the rack and I got the move the seats further apart, so I was happy. DH&M spent a lot of time with us going over how everything worked in the LQ (we got the 10' Trail Express) and we have been very pleased with everything about the trailer.

I am contacting Bison (or trying to) about the GWVR after the Iowa posting. The axles on my trailer are 7,000 lbs each. THe GWVR on my trailer is 16,646 plus my truck 10,500 puts me over the 26,000 lbs and into potential CDL category. I have a statement from teh SC DOT telling me I don't need a CDL if the rig is for recreational purposes only but the DMV said I do (I sent both departments the exact same question). I've heard others were able to get revised stickers from their trailer manufacturers but so far, I've not found the person at Bison who handles these things & have only gotten a go between who hasn't got a clue about the terminology.

I hope that answers everybody's questions.

Of course, the DMV will tell you you need CDL, because they are a REVENUE collecting operation...

Just printout the exception clauses and take them in...and they will change their tune...

Edited by PaulChristenson 2007-09-28 3:37 PM
Cloud9
Reg. Feb 2006
Posted 2007-09-28 5:28 PM (#68549 - in reply to #68542)

Extreme Veteran

Paul is correct. Print out the exceptions in sec. 383 (f) and take them with you. The one that applies to all of us trail riders is "the occasional transportation of property ..." As the inspector told us "As you are strictly recreational, the federal laws do not apply to you. If you are properly licensed to drive the vehicle you are driving in your home state, you should be good to go anywhere in the US. In your travels you will notice that the signs at scale sites differ depending on what state you are in. If by the sign, you should pull in, do so and if you are checked, explain that you are strictly recreational and are not involved in any kind of business with your horses and you are not deducting any part of the trip as a business expense."

So, if you are not hauling with the intention of making $$$, you are exempt from the CDL Regs.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)