'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Titan double vs single swing door?

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2007-09-29 2:08 AM
10 replies, 5176 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

ohana
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2007-08-27 8:23 PM (#66594)
Subject: Titan double vs single swing door?

I am looking into a Titan Avalanche II 2 horse bp. I'm adding bus windows on butt side, 2 air vents in horse area, rubber lining on slant wall & back door. I was wondering if people could lists pros & cons for a single swing versus a double swing. I know the double costs a little more, but I also wondered if I will have enough ventilation in hot weather or if another window could be added to rear door. I know in some other brands rear windows can be added only in double doors or only in single doors? I also wondered how much the paint color determines how hot the trailer is? I was thinking of getting the trailer in grey/silver so it doesn't show as much dirt, but wondered if the white would keep it much cooler? I wasn't planning on getting the rear tack because I didn't know if I would use it (this is my first trailer), but I noticed that is the only way to have butt bars installed... what are the pros cons of back tack & butt bars?
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
hconley
Reg. Feb 2005
Posted 2007-08-27 9:28 PM (#66601 - in reply to #66594)
Subject: RE: Titan double vs single swing door?

Extreme Veteran

I have a Titan and love the single door. I ordered two dividers, so the second horse is'nt leaning on the door. I think you would like the slates on the buttside with the inserts instead of windows.
Trail Rider
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2007-08-28 6:45 AM (#66609 - in reply to #66594)

Single door Cons...  There isn't anything to hold the last horse in once you open the door.  I have seen horses try to back out while still being tied in the trailer.  Not Pretty.  But that can be avoided if you just use your head while unloading.  I agree with the other post and slats on the butt side would give you greater air flow, but there are pros and cons with that also.

Single door Pros... It great if you want to use your trailer for hauling other things.  You can lead your horse out instead of having to back them out when you have a rear tack. I think Titan offers a single rear door with slats in it.

As far as the color goes I use to have a red trailer and now I have a white one and I can feel the difference on a sunny day.  Its much cooler in the white trailer.  Gray and Silver is lighter than red and closer to white so it may not as noticable.

10Ha.Wood
Reg. Jun 2006
Posted 2007-08-28 7:30 AM (#66611 - in reply to #66594)

Now that I have lived with mine for a while, I can say honestly say I'd rather have the double doors. The single one is a pain in the wind. It's a pain when the trailer is parked on a slope etc. It's also a pain in that you can't open it (safely) if you have anything too close to the back or the side. You have to maintain an 8 foot 'swing zone'. I'd like to figure out some method of tying it in place so it can't swing all over the place. One other thing - although there is a rubber 'stop' that keeps it from swinging too far open, the door is heavy enough that if it ever does swing wildly, I'm sure it will crush the rubber and smash the tail light. OTOH - If I had the double doors, I'd probably also want the rear tack, and if I had the rear tack...etc...etc....My affordable new Titan trailer (which I really am very happy with) would probably have ended up being a used, rusted out, something or other.
ponytammy
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2007-08-28 11:49 AM (#66634 - in reply to #66594)

Elite Veteran

I have a single door on my day trailer and much prefer the 60-40 doors on my LQ trailer. My day trailer has a kick stand to keep the big door open. My friend's husband saw the kick stand and welded her one too on her Titan trailer. This stand really helps with the wind trying to shut the door.

One good thing about the single door is that it easier to train young horses to load. But if you have experienced loaders, then you will need to train them to wait until asked to unload, instead of trying to turn around while you are opening the door. Sure don't want one trying to bolt out while still tied.

With a two horse BP, there is not much room to have the horse in the second compartment turn around, so I've taught mine to wait until I give the back cue and then come out.

I prefer a rear tack because it gives you more options to store items if you are going to be using the trailer for heavy showing or possible camping. But my day trailer just has a dressing room tack and I've been getting along ok with it for day rides to trails and shows.

White is cooler, and drops on the head, slat (with removable plexiglass) on the hip, and vents will give you maximum airflow. Trailswest BP trailers also offer slats on the rear door with plexiglass , not sure if this is an option with Titan.

Edited by ponytammy 2007-08-28 12:00 PM
ohana
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2007-08-28 5:31 PM (#66661 - in reply to #66594)

Thanks so much for your comments... very helpful! As far as windows I have decided to get drop down on head, bus windows on butt, add 2 bus windows on rear doors (1 on each door), & add 1 vent per horse stall. I like the windows because I have seen my friend mess with the slats in & out & they have gotten broken while removing or storing while out & I just don't want to mess with all of that. I have decided to get the double doors for the reasons that you mentioned. I still am unsure about the color (white or grey/silver), but I'm leaning toward grey/silver. I don't show at all & since I don't have an LQ I doubt that I will do overnight trails (I can't sleep if I am hot), but I have considered putting in a air conditioner sized vent in the DR so that I can add an air conditioner later if wanted plus I will have the vent to keep in cooler in the meantime. So far I doubt I will get the rear tack because I dont see myself using it since I don't show & have no idea why I would use it. Thanks for all of your help & any further suggestions... I am placing my order sometime this week!
Terri
Reg. Jan 2004
Posted 2007-08-28 8:09 PM (#66664 - in reply to #66661)

Expert

I'd opt for a removable rear tack because you never know. You may decide to put in a air conditioner and then a small weekend LQ and you won't want to sleep with the smell of sweaty saddle blankets.
ohana
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2007-08-28 9:52 PM (#66672 - in reply to #66594)

thanks terri... good food for thought. I was planning on eventually putting in an AC & a blow up mattress. I was always thinking the DR would be big enough to keep everything I needed but you don't always want to be sleeping with a hay bales right by your head or stinky equipment =)
Kansashoss
Reg. Aug 2005
Posted 2007-09-14 6:36 PM (#67890 - in reply to #66594)

Your going to love your Titan trailer because the company stands behind the product.  I had a question which I emailed them earlier this week.  This morning at 8:15 a Titan employee phoned me to answer my question and explain the "whys and wherefores" of what my problem was, and the problem was with the tires.  First, he apologized for not responding sooner but he had been out of town until this morning. 

I've had a couple other occasions to contact the company directly and each time my need has been given top priority and a satisfactory outcome.

When it's time to get another trailer, it will be another Titan.

Gunnerhorse
Reg. Jan 2007
Posted 2007-09-29 2:00 AM (#68559 - in reply to #66594)

Hi Ohana,

I don't know if you've ordered your Titan yet, but if you haven't, and the dealer hasn't mentioned it, you might want to look at the Avalanche III. It comes standard with a lot of the things you've mentioned you want, except it also has an escape door at the head of the first horse.  You would have to add windows to the back doors as an extra. 

Regarding single or double doors, i've had both. Initially, I liked the single door so much I didn't want to get double doors. I agree it is a little annoying though to make sure you always have 8 feet of "swing room" to open it, but if you don't have that, could you even get your horse in or out?  I solved the problem of keeping it open on a slant or in wind by tying it with a spare lead rope to one of the ties on the side of the trailer.  Now that I have the double doors, I REALLY like them however. There's just an ease of use to them. If I didn't have the rear tack though I would still get the single door. 

I have the bus windows on the butt side and I wish they were a little bigger b/c even with the vents open and the head side windows I worry there's not enough air circulating.  However, the plexi-glass was a struggle, plus, you needed a funny kind of screwdriver to take it out. Maybe they've changed what they use? I like the look of the bus windows, but  I think the circulation is better with the plexi-glass.

Whatever you end up with you're going to love it. They pull really nicely, and your horses will like it too. Enjoy! :)

Gunnerhorse 

Gunnerhorse
Reg. Jan 2007
Posted 2007-09-29 2:08 AM (#68560 - in reply to #67890)

Originally written by Kansashoss on 2007-09-14 7:36 PM

Your going to love your Titan trailer because the company stands behind the product.  I had a question which I emailed them earlier this week.  This morning at 8:15 a Titan employee phoned me to answer my question and explain the "whys and wherefores" of what my problem was, and the problem was with the tires.  First, he apologized for not responding sooner but he had been out of town until this morning. 

I've had a couple other occasions to contact the company directly and each time my need has been given top priority and a satisfactory outcome.

When it's time to get another trailer, it will be another Titan.

Kansashoss,

Do you recall with whom you spoke? Was it a Customer Service Rep or someone higher up? I need to contact them regarding an issue I have and unsatisfactory service from one of their dealers. I'd prefer writing a letter to calling, but I'm not sure to whom to direct it. I've tried researching on the Internet to get specific names but no luck. All I've found are the names of the people who started the company- no indication even if they are the current owners. 

Any input on who best to contact? 

Thanks,

Ghorse

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'