'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Leak in living quarters.. need help

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2007-06-24 4:03 PM
17 replies, 8705 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

roanrobey
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2007-06-21 9:50 AM (#62590)
Subject: Leak in living quarters.. need help

I have a leak on the long wall somewhere in my LQ trailer. I noticed water under the cabinet where my fresh water tank, pump and hot water tank is. I know its not leaking from those things, as they have not had water in them in 8 months.

I soaked up the water with towels, as you cannot get a wet vac in there to do any good. We caulked a section that looked like it could be the culprit.. it rained and everything is soaked again.

I cannot see any water running down anywhere. The ceiling is dry, the walls are dry. No evidence of water running anywhere.

Ive looked at the roof and and the seam, looks fine to me, but maybe leaking there and running down the wall.

My trailer is a 03 Kiefer Built Genisis 4horse. Has a/c on top, tv anntenna on top also. No window in LQ other than in door and in the nose.

Can anyone give me suggestions on how to find this leak??? Where to look, how to look, what to look for, any testing that can be done and how to do it?

Thanks

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
greyhorse
Reg. Nov 2005
Posted 2007-06-21 11:17 AM (#62594 - in reply to #62590)
Subject: RE: Leak in living quarters.. need help

Extreme Veteran

Just because you've run the tank dry and not put water in it doesn't mean it doesn't have water in it still, I would check the tank and all that stuff real close since that's the area the leak is in. How about the hot water tank, did you drain it?
greyhorse
Reg. Nov 2005
Posted 2007-06-21 11:20 AM (#62596 - in reply to #62590)

Extreme Veteran

Just had another thought, I assume you've been having a good deal of rain in OK lately..... any chance it could be leaking in where the fill for the water tank is on the outside of the trailer?
roanrobey
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2007-06-21 11:42 AM (#62598 - in reply to #62594)

Originally written by greyhorse on 2007-06-21 11:17 AM

Just because you've run the tank dry and not put water in it doesn't mean it doesn't have water in it still, I would check the tank and all that stuff real close since that's the area the leak is in. How about the hot water tank, did you drain it?

THe fresh tank is empty, I have looked.. the drain is on the bottom. THe hot water tank was drained also, however, you cannot get all the water out of it due to design. The amount of water I have extracted is more than what might have been left in the hot water tank.

I dont think that is the cause, but guess that anything is possible.

roanrobey
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2007-06-21 11:47 AM (#62599 - in reply to #62596)

Originally written by greyhorse on 2007-06-21 11:20 AM

Just had another thought, I assume you've been having a good deal of rain in OK lately..... any chance it could be leaking in where the fill for the water tank is on the outside of the trailer?

I looked at that area last night. The caulking looks really good around the fill thing. I opened it up and there were no cracks or anything either.

We had that horrible drought and high heat last summer, then all the freezing rain and snow this winter.. Im sure it didnt help things at all.

Can you believe that the trailer places want $95/hr to just LOOK at my trailer!!

maccwall
Reg. May 2004
Posted 2007-06-21 2:33 PM (#62610 - in reply to #62599)

Extreme Veteran

I've wound up with a few leaks in mine this summer as well. In fact I put my knee through my solar panel caulking the roof. I used some stuff I like called DYCO C-10 Flow Seal Caulk. Bought it at the RV dealer. I have a fiberglass roof thoguh so if you have aluminum, it might not work. Not sure. Anyway, I bought 2 tubes and sealed the hell out of the nose part of my trailer with it. Stopped the leak. Last endurance ride I was on 2 weekeds ago (it was in Oklahoma) it was raining that night and now I have another leak on my long wall s I've sealed te hell out that side. No leaks. Point is, if you get on your roof, don't be liberal with your sealant.

kmh
Reg. Mar 2004
Posted 2007-06-21 3:17 PM (#62612 - in reply to #62590)

I HATE leaks.

I had this happen to me. I took the trailer to an RV dealer and they went over it with a fine-toothed comb. They said that they sealed everything! Still leaking. I called the manufacturer and was told that it could be leaking at the window seal or the clearance lights. I have just ordered a new trailer, no living quarters (I don't go enough). I ordered with no windows in the nose to help eliviate the leaks. One other thing, the trailer that I have right now leaks really bad at the door if it is hooked up to my truck. If I unhook it and raise the nose slightly, no leak. Just a thought.

Good luck.
Turfa
Reg. Mar 2004
Posted 2007-06-21 3:40 PM (#62613 - in reply to #62590)

Veteran

Here's some idea's.  Is there any water in the horse compartment, under the mats?  When the trailer is parked is the long wall down hill, or up hill.  Is it raised so the water will drain toward the back?

Cover the roof with a good tarp and duct tape the edges, hose down the outside wall and wait to see if it gets wet inside.  Then uncover the antena, and repeat.  At some point you should discover where the leak is coming from. 

I have a leak at my door, and with the long wall low the water runs to that side. 

I hope that this helps.

Turfa

Iridem99
Reg. Oct 2004
Posted 2007-06-22 7:39 AM (#62639 - in reply to #62613)

Bought a used trailer at QH Congress in '04. Had some minor issues with the interior while I was there (interior hadn't EVER been used) and a leak stated in the LQ (new leak...no previous staining) Sierra LQ's spent 5 days tweaking every little thing that was wrong. The leak...they resealed the entire roof, then found out the leak was from an incomplete exterior window seal. The window was the culprit! Sierra LQ interiors ROCKS!! They couldn't have done more, especially since this trailer was USED! Mike the pres. was hands-on and aces!  Won't mention the dealer though . So check the window, the problem part of the seam was only about an inch long!

Heidi

roanrobey
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2007-06-22 7:58 AM (#62642 - in reply to #62590)

Thanks Heidi. I will check the windows again.

I found a new leak/wet spot last night. I had my trailer parked in a different spot and the nose was downhill. Found a west spot on the same side, but up in the nose corner. I know it wasnt wet before as I checked every square inch of the trailer when I found the other one.

My hubby found some of the white skin on the nose loose and the caulk gone at the channel where the skin sits in. If this rain will give us a break... we will get that caulked and see if that is it.

We got some heavy rain yesterday again and then it rained off and on after we got home from work. It was too wet to even try to fix it.

I also bought some roof patch to go over some areas on the seam that look suspicious.

RTSmith
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2007-06-22 9:31 AM (#62646 - in reply to #62590)

Elite Veteran

Roan, A few things to look at that we've seen- Your trailer is old enough that you need to check the roof seams very carefully. The UV eats on the caulk, and 3-5 years it shows up. Check around the side clearance lights. On your Kiefer, it has the "old style" roof (pre- mid '04) and the lights can leak. But those leaks don't usually show up on the floor. Make sure the window drains are clean if there is a window in the area. Clogged drain at the bottom track will have water running over the track & down the wall. Check around the water heater well. It should be sealed with the trailer outside wall. If you'd like to, please feel free to call our service guys. 931-685-4040 RTSmith www.SelectTrailer.com
roanrobey
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2007-06-22 10:08 AM (#62647 - in reply to #62646)

Originally written by RTSmith on 2007-06-22 9:31 AM

Roan, A few things to look at that we've seen- Your trailer is old enough that you need to check the roof seams very carefully. The UV eats on the caulk, and 3-5 years it shows up. Check around the side clearance lights. On your Kiefer, it has the "old style" roof (pre- mid '04) and the lights can leak. But those leaks don't usually show up on the floor. Make sure the window drains are clean if there is a window in the area. Clogged drain at the bottom track will have water running over the track & down the wall. Check around the water heater well. It should be sealed with the trailer outside wall. If you'd like to, please feel free to call our service guys. 931-685-4040 RTSmith www.SelectTrailer.com

When you say my trailer has the "old type roof", how is it different than the newer Kiefers?

There is no window where it is leaking on the floor, but windows in the nose.. I now have a leak in the nose on the same side. SO where ever that leak is.. it ran down and got my nose/mattress wet as the nose was lower than the rear of the trailer (parked it in a different place)

There is only one clearance light on the trailer up high.. its at the nose. (I wish it had more clearance lights, apparently they put the minimum required by law on it). I will pop the cover off and re caulk it, just in case.

What do I look for on the roof caulk? This stuff that they used is thick, white and kinda spongy feeling. Looks like it was brushed or poured on. Do I take this off or just seal over it?

My water heater is electric home style kind. Only access is from inside the trailer. I plan to recaulk the water fill hatch on the outside as I noticed it is not a tight seal around it (but doesnt appear to be open enough to cause that much water to come in, but guess it could?)

This trailer has the white skin glued on(sides), not riveted. We did find last night that the skin on the nose (which is riveted on) was loose at the channel where it sits below the window. The caulk was missing and there was a lot of water that would come out when you would push on the skin. Could that be enough to cause the water to run and follow that channel to the floor?? A new leak was found last night and since I parked it with the nose lower than the rear... the nose was wet in the front same side corner.

Is it possible for that to have caused the floor leak or do I just have many leaks and a lot of work ahead of me to reseal the trailer?

What do you recomend to seal the roof with?

Thanks for your help

Philippa
Reg. Apr 2004
Posted 2007-06-22 10:43 PM (#62676 - in reply to #62590)

I have a 03 Kiefer Genesis too and had a similar problem. I re-caulked the roof and it did not fix the leak. I re-caulked all the seams where the white aluminum sheets meet the frame on the bottom including the goose neck and the leak was gone. The seams did not look broken, but when I pulled the old caulk out I could see water had come through. I used GE Silicone II Aluminum and Metal to caulk the roof.

Edited by Philippa 2007-06-22 10:47 PM
crowleysridgegirl
Reg. Apr 2005
Posted 2007-06-22 11:12 PM (#62677 - in reply to #62647)

Expert

Found the link we talked about,PM'd it to you.
roanrobey
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2007-06-22 11:16 PM (#62680 - in reply to #62676)

Originally written by Philippa on 2007-06-22 10:43 PM

I have a 03 Kiefer Genesis too and had a similar problem. I re-caulked the roof and it did not fix the leak. I re-caulked all the seams where the white aluminum sheets meet the frame on the bottom including the goose neck and the leak was gone. The seams did not look broken, but when I pulled the old caulk out I could see water had come through. I used GE Silicone II Aluminum and Metal to caulk the roof.

Thanks!

We are thinking that is where our leak is also. There is some caulk missing under the window where the skin meets the frame and there was a lot of water in it. If it will just stop raining.. we could fix it.

Now to figure out how to get it dry on the inside and get the musty smell out.

RTSmith
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2007-06-23 10:15 AM (#62695 - in reply to #62590)

Elite Veteran

Roan,
Sounds like the nose is probably the leak, especially if what you saw is the same side of the trailer as the wet floor. Anytime you can see water in a channel, it will run long & far to aggravate you! On the roof caulk, taking all off, or sealing over it is a judgement call. It isn't good to seal over caulk that isn't adhering. We've been having great success with a product called Flo-seal (part# C-10) available from any camping supply store. It can work well on top of cracked but sticking caulk to fill in bad spots. But if what's there is not sticking well, it should come off first, then apply a full coating. Silicone can work well also on a pure job, but it might not adhere over what is already there. On the Kiefer roof system, they implemented their patent-pending new roof design in March of '04 on Genesis units. These models have no roof rivet or screw protusions into the main coach area. Models prior to that carry a roof much like most others that are dependant on caulk to stop leaks.
And bless you on the rain. Here in middle TN and northern Al. we're feeding hay now, and didn't get to cut much last month.....!! Lots of horses & cows for sale.
RTSmith
www.SelectTrailer.com
roanrobey
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2007-06-23 11:08 AM (#62696 - in reply to #62695)

Originally written by RTSmith on 2007-06-23 10:15 AM

Roan, Sounds like the nose is probably the leak, especially if what you saw is the same side of the trailer as the wet floor. Anytime you can see water in a channel, it will run long & far to aggravate you! On the roof caulk, taking all off, or sealing over it is a judgement call. It isn't good to seal over caulk that isn't adhering. We've been having great success with a product called Flo-seal (part# C-10) available from any camping supply store. It can work well on top of cracked but sticking caulk to fill in bad spots. But if what's there is not sticking well, it should come off first, then apply a full coating. Silicone can work well also on a pure job, but it might not adhere over what is already there. On the Kiefer roof system, they implemented their patent-pending new roof design in March of '04 on Genesis units. These models have no roof rivet or screw protusions into the main coach area. Models prior to that carry a roof much like most others that are dependant on caulk to stop leaks. And bless you on the rain. Here in middle TN and northern Al. we're feeding hay now, and didn't get to cut much last month.....!! Lots of horses & cows for sale. RTSmith www.SelectTrailer.com

Thanks RTS!!

The roof caulk looks pretty tight in the areas I can actually get too right now. Havent pulled out the ladder yet to examine all of it. Some of it does look missing, but untill I can get the ladder up there and see if I see if its torn off, I dont know.

I bought some Kool Seal from the RV store. I will look for the product you suggested.

Im glad to know that we may have found our leak in that channel. We plan to work on it today as there is rain forcasted every day for the next week.

Im not complaining about the rain in any way after last years drought. Im not sure we have recovered from it as the rain is making it hard for the hay farmers to get their fields fertilized and sprayed. We had 20 days of rain in May, and 12 days so far this month. (total of 45 days of rain April, May, June to date).

Lots of horses here for sale also, Its been really slow and I have several for sale myself that arent moving.

I feed hay year round as I dont have a lot of land. I hope the rains soon find your area and help with your drought.

iCE CRM
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2007-06-24 4:03 PM (#62747 - in reply to #62696)

Extreme Veteran

A friend of mine just had a similar problem with his Sooner and it was glued at the seam where the gooseneck drops down and it leaked pretty bad in the LQ and I think it was Select Trailer that fixed it by putting rivets alon this joint.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)