'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
2007 Ford Explorer vs. 2007 Toyota 4Runner - Mr. Truck?

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2007-03-01 6:27 AM
10 replies, 5001 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

JLFleet
Reg. Feb 2007
Posted 2007-02-14 10:34 AM (#55548)
Subject: 2007 Ford Explorer vs. 2007 Toyota 4Runner - Mr. Truck?

Hi again, this is the new person asking yet more, maybe dumb, questions. :)After researching and reading here, I am pretty convinced now that if I stick with an aluminum two horse very basic trailer, I can safely tow my Arabian around Florida to some CTRS every once in a while with a mid-size SUV. Mainly, the 2007 Ford Explorer (Limited or Eddie Bauer) 4.6L V8 if properly equipped with a weight distributing hitch, sway bars, brake controller, etc.So now....I'm wondering how the 2007 Toyota 4Runner Limited, 4.7L V8 stacks up against the Explorer..has anybody here towed with one?It does have an even shorter wheelbase than the Explorer. It is 109.9" if I recall correctly, and the Explorer is 113.7". Both would be within the recommended guidelines I read if my trailer is less than 20 feet long (110" of wheelbase for a 20' trailer).The 4Runner has a 3.73 limited-slip axle, compared to the Explorer's 3.55 non-limited-slip.The 4Runner has a little less HP, but more torque than the Explorer. It also has a 32 valve double overhead cam, while the Exlorer is a 24 valve single overhead cam (does this make a difference in towing?)The 4Runner has the option of getting Self Leveling Suspension, the Explorer does not. Again - important?They both come with front and rear stabilizer bars.Both come with class IV weight dist. hitch - wiring included with the 4Runner - optional with the Explorer.Both have ventilated disc brakes in front, 4Runner has them in rear too - Explorer has regular disc brakes in back.Both have traction control and stability control.Towing capacity for the Explorer is 7230 lbs.Towing capacity for the 4Runner is 7000 lbs.Other than this stuff, they are both fully loaded and beautiful vehicles. I think the 4Runner might hold its resale value better, in case we do upgrade at some point to a larger vehicle.Any opinions on either of these vehicles to pull (and stop) a lightweight 2-horse stock trailer loaded with one horse, some feed, tack, two people, and food for a weekend?Thanks again,Jennifer

Edited by JLFleet 2007-02-14 1:46 PM
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
SHMANN
Reg. Aug 2006
Posted 2007-02-14 1:36 PM (#55554 - in reply to #55548)
Subject: RE: 2007 Ford Explorer vs. 2007 Toyota 4Runner - Mr. Truck?

Veteran

I'm not Mr. Truck - and I'm sure he'll weigh in - but it sounds like you'd be well within the weight limits of either vehicle - I'd like to relate two things to you. 

• I have a V6 4Runner and it is an incredibly well engineered vehicle - good solid frame, and it feels very solid.  I've hauled a utility trailer (no elec. brakes) with around 3000lbs of stone gravel.  It pulled it without the slightest problem - I've also had a load of 31 stall mats that ran about 75 to 80lbs each, certainly well over 2000lbs.  Pulling that weight isn't the issue for me - it's stopping.  I really felt like I was over taxing my brakes with the heavy loads in the trailer.  Assuming the elec. brakes function fine you'd have no problems pulling the weight you’re describing, and stopping it.
  • I've never hauled a horse trailer with it.  There are other issues besides pure weight when pulling horses - hopefully others can talk about them in more detail.  Bottom line is this - Every dealer at the Equine Affair did not recommend pulling a loaded horse trailer when I told them I had a 4Runner...

I would consider the larger SUV's as a good compromise.  I have the highest opinion of my 4Runner - with 122000+ miles on it, it has been rock solid dependable - but I do have reservations about pulling a horse trailer with it - even a lighter one.  I think Brenderup was the one brand that said I'd be more than adequate with the 4Runner - as long as I didn't exceed my overall tow limit.  Have you considered them?  I gave them a long hard look at the E-Affair and I just couldn't justify the $$ for one when I saw what the same $$ would buy in other top level brands (14k to 16k ) - but I do see that they fill a niche market, and folks that own them speak very highly of them.

Good Luck with all of this -

Steve

Edited by SHMANN 2007-02-14 1:37 PM
chadsalt
Reg. Nov 2004
Posted 2007-02-16 6:58 AM (#55666 - in reply to #55548)

Expert

which one do you like better? from your pro/con post they are close enough to the same truck it really doesnt matter.
JLFleet
Reg. Feb 2007
Posted 2007-02-16 10:00 AM (#55669 - in reply to #55666)

Well, I've always like Toyota's quality more than Ford's. That said, after years of owning nothing but Toyotas (drove them all over 200,000 miles and they were still tight), six years ago, I bought a 2001 Explorer Sport V6 (two door) and it has treated me well. I've had no major issues with it and it now has 112,000 miles on it. The interior is getting a little loose and creaky, and the finish is chipping in places (interior door handles and center console) but I've had no mechanical problems with it worth mentioning. I actually like this little SUV and have been very hard on it - but I'd never tow with it - the Sport's wheelbase is very short (101.8" - 8" shorter than the new 4Runner) and it would probably be very unsafe.After reading all of these responses, plus doing endless research (gotta love the internet) I think I'm going to go with my original plan and get a Sequoia even though I'd *probably* be fine with the Explorer or 4Runner. The towing capacity is a little less, but the wheel base is longer (longer than the Tahoe's even) and it's just a really nice vehicle. I'll have to get used to driving a behemoth, but I'll adapt. :)To answer your question, if I had to choose between the two mid-size SUV's, I'd prefer the 4Runner. Resale value and past experience with owning Toyotas long-term are the main reasons.Thanks!Jennifer

Edited by JLFleet 2007-02-16 10:03 AM
SHMANN
Reg. Aug 2006
Posted 2007-02-16 12:11 PM (#55679 - in reply to #55669)

Veteran

Now that the new Tundra is out, I wonder how long before the new Sequoia is released... I do agree with your choice - If I had the $$ back in 2003, I would have gone for the Sequoia, but the 4Runner was great, and it was a lot less at the SR5 trim level.

Good Luck with everything! 

Steve

JLFleet
Reg. Feb 2007
Posted 2007-02-16 12:43 PM (#55682 - in reply to #55679)

The new Sequoia will be out for '08. The dealer told me they will be even bigger next year (to compete with the ever-expanding Expedition) and he said he thinks it will also be more powerful.I'm doing the new-car-buyer's major "no-no"....I'm buying the last year of a design phase, not smart financially...oh well... I don't want to wait for the '08 to come out, I can't buy used (this will be our "company car" and company policy says we have to buy new) and besides...I don't want it any bigger than it already is, so I'll take the current style.I think it will do the job I need done nicely.Jennifer
MrTruck
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2007-02-18 10:29 PM (#55808 - in reply to #55548)

Elite Veteran

Using your description, "a lightweight 2-horse stock trailer loaded with one horse, some feed, tack, two people, and food for a weekend?" I'd do it. There are more folks doing this with the Explorer as it's the #1 selling SUV. Get a dealer to let you test drive the Toyota for the day, get a car trailer from U-haul as it will have surge brakes on the trailer and load up the trailer for a max weight of 6000#'s and take a drive up the hills.
Dmarr
Reg. Feb 2007
Posted 2007-02-28 2:14 PM (#56491 - in reply to #55548)

Veteran

We have the 2006 4Runner w/ the V8 and we tow our 2-horse trailer with it plus my husband uses it as his daily driver.

This is the 1st Toyota we've owned and we purchased it because it does have such a high tow rating. I can honestly say that we LOVE the 4Runner and can HIGHLY recommend it to anyone.

It hauls the trailer and two horses + gear with ease. It has a GREAT ride, it's very quiet, the interior and cargo area are roomy and I like the styling.

I guess once you've driven both it would be your own personal perferance, I can only vouch for the 4Runner, we're extremely happy with ours.

Good Luck! dmarr@tx.rr.com

SHMANN
Reg. Aug 2006
Posted 2007-02-28 7:45 PM (#56517 - in reply to #56491)

Veteran

Thanks for posting that info - I'm curious what type of trailer you're pulling with the 4Runner?
Dmarr
Reg. Feb 2007
Posted 2007-02-28 8:31 PM (#56521 - in reply to #56517)

Veteran

We tow a 1994 Merhow Equilite 2-horse trailer with a ramp. It does not have a dressing room but it has under the manger tack storage. It is 7' tall and quite wide (haven't measured it).

It's a dandy little trailer that pulls like a dream even with horses/tack, etc. The trailer weighs only 1,900 lbs. This is our second Merhow and I'm a Merhow fan!

We've owned several other brands of 2-horse trailers (including Brenderup) but none can compare (in our opinion) to the Merhow quality, ease of towing and use.

Phil & Deirdre

SHMANN
Reg. Aug 2006
Posted 2007-03-01 6:27 AM (#56549 - in reply to #56521)

Veteran

Thanks for the info - I've got a 4Runner, although it's the V6 model.  I saw that you and I shared the same opinion on the Brenderup on another thread - it's great to see that your Merhow has worked out so well.  You really shouldn't have to spend the astounding price that they ask for those trailers to get a small 2 horse trailer that pulls well.  I know the materials are unique, and the design is mildly unique - but it is really nothing mroe than an extremely basic trailer - a very expensive basic trailer.  I still think if the price dropped somewhere around the $10k area they'd sell many more of them, since it would then be price competitive with comparable "traditionally" built 2 horse units.

Take Care,

Steve

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World