'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
4-Star trailer floors

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2006-08-24 10:14 PM
10 replies, 4492 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

arlene21
Reg. Aug 2006
Posted 2006-08-11 8:46 AM (#46387)
Subject: 4-Star trailer floors

Veteran

Does anyone have any information about the floors in the 4-Star trailers? I have a '97 and love it but I have been looking for a newer model. I have been told that in 2000-2004 that 4-Star went to all alulminum floors and that many of those became unsafe. Has anyone else heard this?
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
Lobo56
Reg. Mar 2006
Posted 2006-08-11 10:35 AM (#46392 - in reply to #46387)
Subject: RE: 4-Star trailer floors

I own a 2002 4-star and the trailer floor is all aluminum, and it still looks as good as new. The floor beams are spaced very close on a 4-star which makes it very strong floor. Have 2 other friends that also have 4-stars and there floors are fine.

ladyrider
Reg. Feb 2004
Posted 2006-08-11 1:21 PM (#46401 - in reply to #46387)

I have a 2004 4-star and it came with werm flooring.  A type of rubber like stuff coated on the floors.   Stuff is great at protecting the floor from the usual culprits but even better when you have young ones you haul and they like to paw.  Stuff is suppose to have a lifetime warranty so we shall see.  I'm not sure if this is a standard item on their aluminum flooring or not, but all of the new ones I looked at had it on there.
BLM
Reg. Dec 2003
Posted 2006-08-11 4:38 PM (#46412 - in reply to #46387)

4-Star has always had an all aluminium, there is an option to have the WERM flooring over the top which is sealed, that way you don't have to worry about anything getting to the aluminiun and you don't have to take out floor mats. We order it on 99% of the trailers we stock.
Reg
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2006-08-11 7:52 PM (#46422 - in reply to #46387)

Expert

Originally written by arlene21 on 2006-08-11 8:46 AM

Does anyone have any information about the floors in the 4-Star trailers? I have a '97 and love it but I have been looking for a newer model. I have been told that in 2000-2004 that 4-Star went to all alulminum floors and that many of those became unsafe. Has anyone else heard this?

Mine's fine.

Kinda hard to see how it would "become unsafe" - assuming reasonable use and care, e.g. washing a few times a year and not letting muck accumulate.
Even if you did neglect it and had urine puddles, I still find it hard to believe any significant corrosion would occur to metal that thick.

As they say, "check your source".
arlene21
Reg. Aug 2006
Posted 2006-08-11 8:44 PM (#46427 - in reply to #46387)

Veteran

Thanks for all of the information.I feel much better about trying to find a used 4-star.
amysbean
Reg. Aug 2006
Posted 2006-08-24 12:59 PM (#47319 - in reply to #46387)
Subject: help with comparison shopping?

Regular

hi, i am in the market for GN with LQ's (hoping we will use them enough at shows to warrant the expense.)

have an older BP sooner which has held up "fairly" well and we will probably keep to run around town.

i have been looking at new and late model 'used' (nothing older than '03). have talked to lots of salesmen and gee, according to each salesman, their floor/frame, etc is the best on the market. let me add here that my husband will be the last to know about the trailer (as he is not fond of my horses, even tho he used to have QHs. so...i don't have any input from that that standpoint and I am not comfortable with all the jargon on the mechanics, etc, esp seeing how this will be the first LQ trailer I have owned.

based on initial research, I was limiting  my search to: elite, 4-star, platinum, bloomer and C&C, but added hart. I have also changed my mind about getting a reverse load/reverse slant MAINLY because of re-sale value.  (could be my daughters get to high school and find boys more interesting than their horses...heaven forbid!! and I need to sell the trailer.)

IF each of these brands of trailers had the exact same options (12 foot SW, drop downs on both sides, etc and very similar LQ interiors), and were within a few thousand dollars of each other, is there some mechanical/structural difference that should lead me to buy one over the other?  i don't want to get into bashing any trailer manufacturer, i just want to get "experienced" opinions.

oh, and to make matters more complicated, there is an '05 sooner with a little bit larger LQs at a very good price.  i have heard pro's and cons about the 'newer' sooners.  any help here?  (i am looking in the 45K  to 55K price range.)

thanks for any help in my 'shopping', and oops, here comes the husband, better get back to some other site,  thanks.

arlene21
Reg. Aug 2006
Posted 2006-08-24 1:13 PM (#47322 - in reply to #46387)

Veteran

I am also a woman who has researched and made buying decisions on my own with limited help but I have only been able to afford used trailers so that has made it more difficult. I have owned and am just going this weekend to pick up a trailer that I bought on this site. All of my trailers have been 4-Star although I did narrow my search to the same brands that you are considering. I have no technical knowledge so I just went by word of mouth but I have not had any problems with my 4-Star. It has been a wonderful trailer.

horseygurl101
Reg. Aug 2006
Posted 2006-08-24 3:04 PM (#47328 - in reply to #47319)
Subject: RE: help with comparison shopping?

Hi I have also been on this site looking for a L/Q horse trailer I set my posting as a poll and I still have not made a decision, I am still trying to decide between a 4 Star, Platinum or Hart I will be watching your posting to see if you find anything more than I did,
Tx. Vaquero
Reg. Jun 2006
Posted 2006-08-24 3:29 PM (#47329 - in reply to #47328)
Subject: RE: help with comparison shopping?

The answer is that there are a lot of well built trailers out there today, more than ever before. You can't go wrong with any of those you mentioned and a few others as well. Just find one that is set up the way you want it and enjoy it. I go through trailers and have had an Elite, 4 Star, Bloomer and am now back in an Elite all in the last 6 years or so. My partner has a C&C now and has a Stidham on order. I would buy any of these trailers again, except for the Bloomer, and only because of the bad conversion job I got and not because of the trailer itself. My opinion, for what it's worth.
arlene21
Reg. Aug 2006
Posted 2006-08-24 10:14 PM (#47342 - in reply to #46387)

Veteran

You need to decide what you want and then look at it and see if it looks solid and within your price range. Get input from others. I ruled out all but the four brands by looking at them carefully. Was the hardware plastic, was the rubber lining the stalls heavy or light, were the cabinets plywood painted like oak, etc. Then I narrowed it to four brands and made a list of what I wanted in it. My criteria was:

3 horse not over 23',     8’ short wall living quarters ,Drop down windows at least on one side,   Escape door,  Walk thru door, Stud door,  Stove top burners, Microwave, refrigerator, am/fm radio CD player with outside and inside speakers,Screen door,Big Closet not located in the nose of the GN,Solid oak cabinets,Couch  which also makes into a bed, portable tack compartment, Heat/ air conditioning,big awning,WERM flooring, toilet, sink, commode, mangers and outside storage. I picked a price range that I thought was fair which was up to $40 and started looking. It took awhile but I did find exactly what I wanted in my price range. It takes researching, talking, and sites like this.

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)