'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
PLEASE ADVISE! First Time Trailer Buyer. Trailer with no title? Registerable?

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2006-04-29 10:18 PM
13 replies, 6595 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

aggiemare05
Reg. Apr 2006
Posted 2006-04-27 6:47 AM (#40978)
Subject: PLEASE ADVISE! First Time Trailer Buyer. Trailer with no title? Registerable?

Hi everyone.  I am in the market for a trailer.  I live in Texas.  I found one recently that I LOVE LOVE LOVE and it is in my price range.  Problem is, it has not title. I was told by the seller that this is not a problem.  He said that the trailer would be registerable with a bill of sale, in TX. Does anyone know if this is true?  Is there any other purpose one would need a title for?  Can you get a trailer re-titled? or issued a 1st time title if it has never had one (even if its 20 years old)? 

Also, the trailer has hydraulic breaks. I have never heard of this before.  Does anyone know anything about hydraulic breaks?  Is there a way you can rig up your vehicle to make them work?  Or, does anyone know about how much it costs to get a trailer equiped with electric breaks....approximate only.

Does anyone know anything about the brand "Shoop"?

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
Reg
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2006-04-27 7:07 AM (#40979 - in reply to #40978)
Subject: RE: PLEASE ADVISE! First Time Trailer Buyer. Trailer with no title? Registerable?

Expert

Originally written by aggiemare05 on 2006-04-27 7:47 AM

Hi everyone. I am in the market for a trailer. I live in Texas. I found one recently that I LOVE LOVE LOVE and it is in my price range. Problem is, it has not title. I was told by the seller that this is not a problem. He said that the trailer would be registerable with a bill of sale, in TX. Does anyone know if this is true? Is there any other purpose one would need a title for? Can you get a trailer re-titled? or issued a 1st time title if it has never had one (even if its 20 years old)?

Also, the trailer has hydraulic breaks. I have never heard of this before. Does anyone know anything about hydraulic breaks? Is there a way you can rig up your vehicle to make them work? Or, does anyone know about how much it costs to get a trailer equiped with electric breaks....approximate only.

Does anyone know anything about the brand "Shoop"?

Hi and Welcome to the Forum.

I think you should ask your local DMV about the registration and titling issues. Sellers sometimes tell you whatever they need to in order to make the sale.
There might be a way to get a first time title on a trailer that was first registered before your state introduced titling - I don't know, I'm not from there (-:

Hydraulic brakes have been around a long time and work well. Not wanting to start a flame war here, but in my opinion they're a lot better than electric brakes. Since you mentioned a 20 or more year period in your question about titling I'm going to guess that this trailer MIGHT have hydraulic surge brakes. The BIG advantage of these is that they require no "controller" or any sort of set-up in the truck, they are actuated by the force of the trailer pushing against the truck as the truck slows. They are still common on boat trailers and if you need parts or work done on them you might find a boat repair place to be your best bet. If you have surge brakes it is LIKELY that you only have brakes on one axle, it would probably be cheaper to add brakes to the other axle than to change all four to electric.
The more recent type is generally refered to as "electric over hydraulic" and consists of a hydraulic pump on the trailer that is actuated by the same type of brake controller in the truck as is used for electric brakes.
{well, it IS a hack job and it kinda/sorta works}

Schoop is a reputable brand, has been around a while, you might have found a gem.

rose
Reg. Feb 2004
Posted 2006-04-27 1:02 PM (#40993 - in reply to #40978)
Subject: RE: PLEASE ADVISE! First Time Trailer Buyer. Trailer with no title? Registerable?

If the seller does not have a title or a MSO, then RUN AWAY. There could be a thief in the chain of ownership and you could end up without the trailer and without your money. If the seller is really legit, then the seller needs to register the trailer, then sign the registration over to you. Reg's advice is very good.
Painted Horse
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2006-04-27 3:46 PM (#40998 - in reply to #40993)

Expert

Just call your local DMV or State Tax comission or who ever regulated titles for trailers in your state.  Info this important should come directly from the horse mouth and not hearsay off the internet. I'm sure many here could answer this question with the correct answer. But why risk your money/trailer to that one rumur someone thought was true.

Call the appropriate agency and have them walk you through the process.

farmbabe
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2006-04-27 8:07 PM (#41005 - in reply to #40978)

Expert

There are so many good solid trailers for sale out there. Personally, I wouldn't waste the time sorting this out. I am just not the type to do so.I should think the seller should do the footwork to get that title. But if your stuck on buying THIS trailer, then follow up on the advice already given.

Edited by farmbabe 2006-04-27 8:09 PM
kentuckydiesel
Reg. Apr 2006
Posted 2006-04-27 9:24 PM (#41010 - in reply to #40978)

I just bought a '93 shoop 4 horse GN out of virginia and have totally dismantled it and rebuilt it.  I can tell you the good and the bad if it's the same era.  What year/style is it???

-Phillip 

aggiemare05
Reg. Apr 2006
Posted 2006-04-28 2:59 AM (#41013 - in reply to #41010)

The guy sold the trailer out from under me, so I guess I wont be needing that advice.  Thanks though.

~Heartbroken & Trailer-less!~

aggiemare05
Reg. Apr 2006
Posted 2006-04-28 3:01 AM (#41014 - in reply to #40978)

Also, I must add that ya'll were a great help to me and I really appreciate everyone taking the time to write out answers to my many many questions.  It was very useful. 

Thank you so much!

Terri
Reg. Jan 2004
Posted 2006-04-28 11:40 AM (#41033 - in reply to #41014)

Expert

For the next trailer you look at, I was looking at a used trailer a few years ago with no title and the DMV (or known around here as the liscense plate office, that's what the sign on the door says)  told me to get the license plate number and vin number.  The vin so they can check to see if it had been reported stolen and the plate so they can look up the previous registeration info.  They said not all trailers are sold with a title unless the financing bank demands it.  A bill of sale will work.

I would still call the DMV just to make sure it hasn't been changed in the last 5 yrs.

laura
Reg. Apr 2006
Posted 2006-04-28 6:50 PM (#41051 - in reply to #40978)

in reguards to your title for the horse trailer it should have a title of oragin pending on weight if may vary from state to state but anything over 5000 lbs should have title and anything under will have oragin
rick
Reg. Feb 2004
Posted 2006-04-28 7:53 PM (#41052 - in reply to #40978)

Regular

rick
Reg. Feb 2004
Posted 2006-04-28 8:00 PM (#41053 - in reply to #40978)

Regular

aggiemare05, you got lucky he sold the trailer out from under you. I am a Trooper in Iowa with the vehicle theft unit and I had a contact for you in Texas to call but since you aren't involved any more you are lucky.

When you are looking look for all the official stickers and a VIN plate it will be attached someplace on the trailer. They all should have one or a title unless it is homemade and it will still have some sort of assigned number for the VIN someplace.  Good luck.

RideAPaint
Reg. Oct 2005
Posted 2006-04-29 7:13 PM (#41079 - in reply to #40978)

It varies from State to State - Here in Ohio over 3K has a title and is considered "commercial". Under 3K, but manufactured (with VIN) has a Certificate of Origin and goes by weight. Homemade just requires a weight slip, no VIN.

You'd have to check with the local BMV.

milliecat
Reg. Aug 2005
Posted 2006-04-29 10:18 PM (#41086 - in reply to #40978)

Aggie-

I also think you were lucky not to get the trailer.  I just went thru a similar experience with a Texas trailer, except I bought the trailer without the title.

I found the perfect trailer.  Before driving to Texas to pick it up, the guy called me to say he just found out that the title would take 6-8wks to arrive because he'd just paid off the loan with my down payment. He gave me a written, notarized bill of sale. 4 months later, no title.  He always returned my calls and had a reason for every delay.  Turns out after talking with his employees and my attorney brother, I learned that the loan hadn't been paid off!  I confronted him with the loan company information.  Interesting, the title came fairly quickly after this.  I don't think he was purposely defrauding me.  I think he was just "floating money" and had bad timing.

I learned that you can find lots of info by calling the BMV.  They were very helpful.  Also, check the Secretary of State website in any state to insure that no lien exists before you purchase from an individual.

I will never again buy a vehicle without taking title at possession.  In Texas, trailers under 7000lbs don't need titles, this one is 7700lbs.  Stressful lesson with a happy ending!

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)