'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Inverter problems

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2005-11-01 4:32 PM
8 replies, 3576 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

marlenaanne
Reg. Dec 2003
Posted 2005-10-31 5:41 PM (#32539)
Subject: Inverter problems

Regular

I am trying to use an inverter in my LQ trailer and it keeps failing. I have two different inverters (400 watt and 1750 watt). I have not overloaded either one in attempting to use. I have tested the inverter output and it is good but as soon as I plug a TV into it it fails. Again, I checked draw, I tried different tv's and still it failed in my trailer. I purchased a new heavier duty DC cigarette plug as thought that my be the problem. I plugged a AC/DC tv into the trailer outlet and it worked fine. I plugged the inverter with a tv into a truck power outlet and it worked fine. I changed fuses in trailer to make sure that wasn't problem. Any ideas? What am I missing? P.S. I have a generator ... if that makes any difference. I really appreciate any feedback anyone can give me. There are times I want to watch tv late at night and don't want to run the generator and bother other campers. I never had this problem in my previous trailer. Again, thanks.
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
xyzer
Reg. Apr 2004
Posted 2005-10-31 7:32 PM (#32544 - in reply to #32539)
Subject: RE: Inverter problems

Extreme Veteran

marlenaanne
What do you mean by fail? I have fought the same type problem maybe....I have found that 12volt cell phone chargers & inverters etc...like a full 12.6volts or more. I have a remote horse camp with a solor charger system and have found that if my batteries are not fresh or lots of sun the inverter will alarm (or fail) and the 12volt cell phone won't charge. I learned about the inverter when I found my 12volt cell charger wasn't working when the voltage droped below 12.4ish volts, I tried an inverter so I could plug in the AC cell charger and it would alarm (fail?) when my battery voltage droped to a certain level. I have come to the conclusion that these electronic devices are designed to be used within a definate AUTOMOTIVE voltage range. like 14.3-12.6 volts. Anything below that and they go funny! If I start my generator and I am charging the batteries when they get into the automotive charging range all is well! We may both be searcing a different fix but try the tv with the truck running or the generator charging the batteries. You could have a weak house battery maybe..... The same problem as I! See if that helps. I am in the process of finding an inverter that isn't so picky!
marlenaanne
Reg. Dec 2003
Posted 2005-11-01 2:46 AM (#32550 - in reply to #32539)

Regular

Thanks for the feedback. I'm so baffled by this. I have 2 deep cycle batteries. I put a full charge on them and test them with a tester. I have even connected the inverter directly at the batteries to make sure the failure wasn't in the wiring of the trailer. I don't remember exactly what the voltage was but I know it was well over 12 and in the guidelines that the anual indicated. I'll keep you posted if I find more info.
rockyrider
Reg. Jun 2004
Posted 2005-11-01 6:18 AM (#32551 - in reply to #32539)

Extreme Veteran

I got one from Walmart (can't remember brand or model) Paid about $40 for it. So far it works TV just fine. Haven't tried it on anything else yet!
hosspuller
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-11-01 7:24 AM (#32552 - in reply to #32539)

Expert

Originally written by marlenaanne on 2005-10-31 4:41 PM

I am trying to use an inverter in my LQ trailer and it keeps failing. I have two different inverters (400 watt and 1750 watt). I have not overloaded either one in attempting to use. I have tested the inverter output and it is good but as soon as I plug a TV into it it fails. Again, I checked draw, I tried different tv's and still it failed in my trailer. I purchased a new heavier duty DC cigarette plug as thought that my be the problem. I plugged a AC/DC tv into the trailer outlet and it worked fine. I plugged the inverter with a tv into a truck power outlet and it worked fine. I changed fuses in trailer to make sure that wasn't problem. Any ideas? What am I missing? P.S. I have a generator ... if that makes any difference. I really appreciate any feedback anyone can give me. There are times I want to watch tv late at night and don't want to run the generator and bother other campers. I never had this problem in my previous trailer. Again, thanks.

What is "Fail"  the circuit breaker on the inverter trips? or does the inverter "Smoke"?

Some questions to help figure this out:

What is the Wattage on the TV? look on the back of it.

What is the wire size that you used to connect directly to the batteries?

Do you plug the TV directly to the inverter?

Does the TV have a two prong plug or three?

Do you have an antenna permanently mounted on the trailer? 

Have you tried a lamp with a 100w bulb in the inverter? This is a purely resistive load and is a good test of the inverter.

marlenaanne
Reg. Dec 2003
Posted 2005-11-01 8:54 AM (#32559 - in reply to #32539)

Regular

hosspuller, all very good questions. Failure on 400 watt is a chirp then the power indicator light goes out. Happens immediately upon plugging in a tv. Failure on 1750 watt is again via a light on the unit that indicates failure. No smoke. I did check draw on back of tv and should not have any issues ... even if startup on tv is 2 or 3 times the running draw. I tried both a 400watt and a 1750 watt inverter. I did plug tv directly into inverter. Both tv's are 2 prong. I will double check the gauge of wire used when connecting directly to batteries but it is the same connectors I use to run my electric fence for camping. I do have an antenna permanently mounted on trailer and did have it plugged in to tv on one test and not on another test. I tried the 100 watt bulb plugged directly into the inverter and it also failed in the trailer. Thanks for all the good questions. I hope you can use it to help me find a solution.
hosspuller
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-11-01 10:26 AM (#32562 - in reply to #32559)

Expert

Originally written by marlenaanne on 2005-11-01 7:54 AM

hosspuller, all very good questions. Failure on 400 watt is a chirp then the power indicator light goes out. Happens immediately upon plugging in a tv. Failure on 1750 watt is again via a light on the unit that indicates failure. No smoke. I did check draw on back of tv and should not have any issues ... even if startup on tv is 2 or 3 times the running draw. I tried both a 400watt and a 1750 watt inverter. I did plug tv directly into inverter. Both tv's are 2 prong. I will double check the gauge of wire used when connecting directly to batteries but it is the same connectors I use to run my electric fence for camping. I do have an antenna permanently mounted on trailer and did have it plugged in to tv on one test and not on another test. I tried the 100 watt bulb plugged directly into the inverter and it also failed in the trailer. Thanks for all the good questions. I hope you can use it to help me find a solution.

The 100 watt lamp bulb is the most revealing result.  It sounds like the inverters are not getting enough current to power the load.  A fence charger doesn't take much power so the wire will be very thin. 

I would redo the test of connecting directly to a charged battery with the heaviest wire you can find.  Be careful that all connections be heavy enough to carry the load too.  Consider that 100 watts will equal about 8 amps at 12 volts.  That 1750 watt inverter will need cables like the starter motor has in your truck or car, directly to the batteries.

The 400 watt inverter should have at least 10 or better a 8 gauge wire to the battery.  Cigarette lighter sockets aren't meant to supply heavy power continously.  Time to ignite a cigarette... maybe 2 -3 minutes.

martyg
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2005-11-01 4:06 PM (#32569 - in reply to #32539)

Veteran

On my sooner trailer there was a factory cig lighter connector for 12 volts inside the trailer ...unfortunatly it was wired to the battery with 14 guage wire. When we plug our 400 watt inverter into this plug, it gives the same indication as yours...chirps and wont power our tv. I suspect the 12 volt dc wiring to the plug you are using is too small. OHMS law. A 400watt ac inverter will provide a about 3 amps of ac current (approx)...since the inverter is not 100% effecient, it will require somewhat more current at full loadon the DC side. Ohms law for current (I) is watts divided by voltage. On the ac side 400 watts divided by 120 volts is about a 3 amp current flow at full power...Even 16 guage wire will flow this amount of current...However on the 12 Volt DC side, to provide the same 400 watts (400 divided by 12 volts) equals 33 amps...YOu will need about a 10 guage wire for this current flow (approx)...this is some heave guage stranded wire! Hope this helps..
hosspuller
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-11-01 4:32 PM (#32572 - in reply to #32562)

Expert

As another thought, try using automotive jumper cables from the battery terminals to the inverter terminals.  That should be a stout enough connection to see if the trailer wiring is the problem.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)