'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Classic Trailers?

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2005-09-13 3:05 PM
9 replies, 4811 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

jackbrat
Reg. Sep 2005
Posted 2005-09-08 2:44 AM (#30045)
Subject: Classic Trailers?

Elite Veteran

Am looking at purchasing a new GN trailer. Does anyone know anything about Classic Trailers, INC.?Quality trailer or not?Thanks!
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
jackbrat
Reg. Sep 2005
Posted 2005-09-08 2:48 AM (#30046 - in reply to #30045)
Subject: RE: Classic Trailers?

Elite Veteran

OOPS! I forgot to list the model of the trailer I am looking at. It's the Classic "Cavalier" model(all aluminum)Thanks for any info on these trailers!
Blue
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2005-09-08 3:26 PM (#30091 - in reply to #30045)

New User

I just purchased an entry level 2 horse Classic Westerner Deluxe in April. I am thrilled with it. Now I see the various Classic brand trailers everywhere and folks I talk to are pleased with them. The owners of my trainer's barn has the nicer model, don't know if it is the Cavalier or Monarch, but they are happy with it as well. They are light, well built, with very comfortable slant dimensions. My small quarter horse looks like a pony inside mine. Good luck with your purchase.

Note: I opted for wood floor over Rumbar because I was hesitant to spend money on something not "tried and true". It is a pretty new synthetic material, I will give it another 10 years on the market.

jackbrat
Reg. Sep 2005
Posted 2005-09-08 4:37 PM (#30094 - in reply to #30091)

Elite Veteran

Thanks Blue!I really liked what I saw at the Classic dealership.I just sold my 3h,Exiss GN so can now go shopping!(The Exiss trailer was too big and long-downsizing back to a two horse)I am trying the rumber floor. after cleaning underneath the mats on the Exiss, trying to remove mat underneath the rear-tack and then put it back..Whew!!!It took three of us to get mat back in place.no more rear-tack for me.
Painted Horse
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2005-09-08 7:56 PM (#30103 - in reply to #30045)

Expert

I bought a 3 horse GN Monarch from Classic in February 2000. A little different from the Cavalier that you are looking at. More features on mine. I put a tremendous amounts of miles on that trailer. A lot of those miles down forest service dirt roads. I used it in the winter snow and salted roads of Utah, Spring trips to Competitive trail and endurance rides, pack trips into the wilderness all summer and fall hunting trips. I made trips cross country to pick up and deliver horses. I used it ALOT.

After 5 years, I had replaced all the tires ( no tread left), repacked the bearings each year. I had replaced a few of the marker lights. Mostly eaten off by horses tied to the trailer overnight. And the rubber edge moulding on the fenders had come off. And that was it. It held up very well. No leaks in the roof no broken welds ( well I take that back, I dragged the back end over a rock and tore off part of the back bumper and had to have it welded back on. My fault though) This is all very minor maintenance.

I had the rumber floor. I hauled 3-4 horses all the time. most of my horses are 1100-1200lbs and always wearing shoes. The floor looked great after 5 years of use. I'd dump a bag of shavings on the floor and sweep them out once every month or two. And hose it out good before cold weather in the fall.

I sold it this past June ( in 5 days) for $3000 less than I paid for it. Which I consider exceptional resale. I purchased the a new Classic Bunkhouse. (I've got 3 teenage daughters I hope to keep riding with me by offering them some creature comforts.

I found Classic to be very friendly and willing to talk with me. I picked my trailer up at the factory and they gave me a nice tour of how the trailer is built. They are a small company. They only have 10 dealers, mostly in the West. They are not well known.

My vet sees hundreds of trailers a year. When it came time to buy his new trailer, he choose a Classic Bunkhouse. When I asked him why, he said he had seen the use I put my trailer through and it had held up better after 5 years than all the trailers he saw come through his parking lot.

I'm sure Classic can have a lemon once in a while, and I can't speak for their entry level trailers. But I think they make a good product that I would recommend to others. 

I'd look at their Mid Tack option. I liked it MUCH better than the rear tack that I have now.

Edited by Painted Horse 2005-09-08 8:02 PM
jackbrat
Reg. Sep 2005
Posted 2005-09-08 10:24 PM (#30113 - in reply to #30103)

Elite Veteran

Thanks for the input. I think I'm sold on the Classic trailer. I had to down-size for my truck and also for the reason that nobody ever wants to go without their own trailer so I end up hauling by myself all the time. Plus, I just got tired of hauling around a big trailer.I agree with you about not having a rear-tack, what a pain that was. I love the rumber floor idea too. Thanks
Painted Horse
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2005-09-09 9:49 AM (#30122 - in reply to #30045)

Expert

I would have them install the hay rack and put the water tank up there. I really like filling the horses buckets at the trailer and not hauling water. I doubt I'll ever haul hay up in the rack. but it's manditory for the water tank.

The storage compartments under the manger are nice. I can put a lot of stuff in them. But they cost me the ability to fold the panels tight to the head wall and throw and extra horse in. Mine was a 3 horse, but with the panels folded up, I easily got 4 full size horses in the trailer. If you are hauling by yourself, the extra horse isn't a big deal, but the storage might be. It's about a $1000 option.

I also like the rear windows, vs the solid doors. It gives me better ventilation and I can look in and see the horses prior to opening the back door.

Have them install a trailer battery. That way you can use the lights without being hooked up to the truck.

Good luck.
Champhorse
Reg. Nov 2004
Posted 2005-09-09 2:14 PM (#30130 - in reply to #30045)

Veteran

I looked at a Classic Cavalier 2H GN and was very impressed with the design and features. It was one of the few trailers that had features that "made sense" to me. I love the saddle rack design - it's about time somebody figured that out. What it has was a collapsable rear tack and a front DR. The DR had a removeable pole for saddles. The pole had 3 reverse "C" brackets welded on it. The rear tack had the same pole with the same brackets. The actual tree the saddle sits on slides into the "C" bracket making it very easy to move the trees. You can purchase additional trees making the 2H slant equipt with enough brackets for 6 saddles. There were also other features for storage I thought were great. The only reason I did not purchase was...... 1.The dealer wasn't willing to deal much on the price and 2. That brand is not well know around here and resale value isn't great. However, that may change if the popularity in this area grows.  
Painted Horse
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2005-09-10 9:15 PM (#30166 - in reply to #30045)

Expert

As I remember, there are only 10 dealers nationwide for Classic. They are all on allocation waiting for trailers. So I can't blame them for not dickering on price. But I've always found the price very fair for what I got.

Resale around here is great. I accepted an offer for the trailer but had to wait a week or two to deliver the trailer to the buyer. In the next 3 days before I got the ad cancelled I got another 3 offers. All tried to bribe me to cancel my first agreement and sell to them for a few hundred bucks more. In fact the man who bought my trailer, Came from Washington. He was a good 10-11 hours away. One of the fellow who tried to bribe me with more money, said he was searching all the states that surrounded Utah trying to find one. So even if you couldn't sell it locally, there are enough folks looking for them, somebody will travel to come get it.

Edited by Painted Horse 2005-09-10 9:21 PM
Dunoir
Reg. Sep 2005
Posted 2005-09-13 3:05 PM (#30303 - in reply to #30045)

Elite Veteran

FYI:  Rumbar floors have been around for awhile now.  My first trailer was a '96 Thee Kit fiberglass composite (kevlar) w/ aluminum frame and rumbar floor.  My 2nd is another Thee Kit ('97) with a rumbar floor and it's fantastic!  After 8 years of continuous use, the floor is in great shape.  It came with a lifetime warranty and no need for those heavy mats to pull out and clean underneath. 

I couldn't image opting for a wood floor that has to be replaced, breaks, splinters, is hard on their legs, etc over a flooring material that will last longer than the trailer.  Yes, the rumbar will cost more to begin with, but it will last 10 times longer.  I applaud any trailer companies that are installing this type of flooring as it's far superior to wood or aluminum.

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)