'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Seek opinions on having trailer repainted?

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2005-08-21 7:50 AM
5 replies, 3184 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

olehossgal
Reg. Dec 2003
Posted 2005-08-19 6:55 PM (#29408)
Subject: Seek opinions on having trailer repainted?

Regular

Since this is a great place for experienced opinions....what is you all's about the viability/financial sense of having my @ 10-12 yr. old, 14'x5', CM stock combo ,steel, BP, trailer, repainted/refurbished? This trailer has, and does, fit my personal needs very well-I have one riding horse to haul, and also have miniatures, which I drive. Usage is fairly occasional, never heavy; I can put my buckboard, back-to-back trap, or one or two of my two-wheeled carts(all mini-sized)in, along a pair or more of the minis-so it really works for me-plus I really couldn't afford to go "up" in features(but then, I really don't want/need to, I don't think.) The floor is good(I clean it out after EVERY haul,never leave wetness, pull the mats out every so often and check...there is starting to be some rust, but not REAL extensive--YET(thank goodness for this ole dry country!)This trailer is still running on its original, 15" radial tires, which are still in good shape and have reasonable tread-I rotate them, have the bearings done at the recommended mileage, and park it one direction in the summer, another in the winter, to minimize sun exposure-AND usually cover the most-exposed tires. Has anyone here had a trailer refurbished/repainted? If so, what was your experience? Should it be sandblasted? What else?(Looks to me as if some caulking,etc., needs to be stripped off, and primeing, etc., redone?before repainting? What kind of paint/finish is best? Reasonable in price, but lasting? I kept this trailer in the barn aisle when it was new, and *could*(and likely, would, after the investment in the work!)keep it inside again, so could keep it as *nice*as possible after it was worked on...I haven't checked the prices on this trailer, new, nowadays, but *might*be able to afford, with payments, to just replace this one with another of the same(though I might go with a 6' width if I did-and yes, I know I sound really old-fashioned-but it's because I AM!!)though I am more inclined toward the repaint/refurbish. Which, in you all's opinions, would make the most long-term sense-fix this one up, or try to sell/trade it in, and replace?(I don't really expect to even own 'another' trailer.)

Thanks in advance....

Margo C-T

Would love to hear you all's thoughts on this subject

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
Terri
Reg. Jan 2004
Posted 2005-08-19 7:57 PM (#29412 - in reply to #29408)
Subject: RE: Seek opinions on having trailer repainted?

Expert

If it works for you, just repaint it.  I have a 20ft trailer and the estimate I got to sand blast, recaulk, prime, undercoat and have 2 coats of automotive paint put on was $1800. (I wish we were back in NM, the humid, salty air here is murder on steel!) That would be much cheaper than buying a new trailer. 

Oh, you said the trailer has the original tires.  Mine did to and I had all the tread on them, but the sidewalls were cracking.  I started blowing tires this year and just replaced them all.  So make sure you are keeping an eye on them for dry rot.   It's no fun changing a tire on the side of the highway at 110 and 70% humidity.  Trust me, I had to do it on my way to NM this spring.

olehossgal
Reg. Dec 2003
Posted 2005-08-20 10:58 AM (#29426 - in reply to #29408)

Regular

Thanks for the input, Terri! Yes, I am aware that I need to watch tires of this age closely, and I am doing so-try to keep room in the budget for tire replacement at any time,now that they've reached this age. However, so far, there is not a hint of sidewall cracks, etc.

Appreciate the info; I was kind of thinking it might be in that cost neighborhood. Anyone else with thoughts/experience on this?

Best to all,

Margo

equinetrans
Reg. Jun 2005
Posted 2005-08-20 12:47 PM (#29429 - in reply to #29408)

This approach works if you are not that interested in having the trailer look pretty. You're describing a trailer with minimal rust, so I don't believe that you have too much pitting from rust. Take some naval jelly or other rust remover and cover rust per directions. Clean off and spray paint rusteleum (sp?) over the area, closest match you can find in color. Figure on doing this every year, but can usually be done in less than one day. It won't look that good, but your trailer can last for many years with this approach, with minimal cash investment and minimal work.Jim Clark-Dawe
prettypaso
Reg. Aug 2005
Posted 2005-08-21 12:27 AM (#29436 - in reply to #29429)

would you explain in detail how & why to use naval jelly on rust areas? thanks so much.  <-------(rust rustler).....

Edited by prettypaso 2005-08-21 12:31 AM
equinetrans
Reg. Jun 2005
Posted 2005-08-21 7:50 AM (#29437 - in reply to #29436)

Naval jelly is a chemical solvent that removes rust. How and why I don't know, but with surface rust it will remove it and leave a clean surface to apply paint to. It is not as effective as sand blasting, but involves considerably less effort and equipment. I apply it with a paint brush and let it sit and then wash it off. It comes with pretty good instructions. It's one of those things that its easier to try than to explain.Jim Clark-Dawe
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)