'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
need trailer advise: stock vs. horse

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2005-07-10 7:48 PM
16 replies, 6314 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

mom
Reg. Jul 2005
Posted 2005-07-04 8:23 PM (#27584)
Subject: need trailer advise: stock vs. horse

New User

I have narrowed down my trailer choices to: aluminum goose-neck, either 20' or 24'. I will be hauling at most 4 horses, with one of these a 16' TB. Also I will be using this trailer to periodically haul cattle and/or cow-calf pairs between farms or to sale barns, etc.

I hadn't considered a horse trailer since I need the stock moved sometimes, but I'm a bit concerned about room for the TB and overall head room for all horses. Most stock trailers seem to be 6'6" and horse are 7'. Will the former be OK for horses?

Next question: How do I position 4 horses in a stock trailer? Parallel? Keep the divider open or shut?

Last question: which trailer is easier to navigate - 20' or 24'?

Thanks much!

Edited by mom 2005-07-04 8:25 PM
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
chadsalt
Reg. Nov 2004
Posted 2005-07-04 9:36 PM (#27585 - in reply to #27584)
Subject: RE: need trailer advise: stock vs. horse

Expert

welcome, and yes 6'6" is considered low for horses.  although im sure ive seen more than one manufacturer with a 7' stock trailer, i would try hard to get one.

as for how to tie 4 horses, how well do they get along?  if they dont mind each other and trailer well, i personally would tie them on a slant starting at the front. as for the divider with the 24' you could likely close it after 2 and put the other 2 in the back, it all depends on the horses/trailer.

technically the 20' will need less space to manuver, i guess that could be called "easier". i suspect the extra 4' would be worth any extra trouble though.

mom
Reg. Jul 2005
Posted 2005-07-04 10:43 PM (#27586 - in reply to #27585)

New User

Thank you very much for your insight. As I suspected, the 7' heighth is more desirable. sigh.

My small herd definitely has a hierarchy. Any suggestions as to where to place the top dog? In the back where he is less likely to use his back end on the others, or in the front where he can't use his teeth? Should they all wear leg wraps in the stock trailer?

farmbabe
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2005-07-04 11:11 PM (#27587 - in reply to #27584)

Expert

I used to haul up  to three horses in a stock ( 16'). We needed to haul cattle as well so I know from whence you cometh. I tied the horse slant wise and did not use the divider. I did not have problems with horse fighting since they all seemed to settle down when loaded and hauling- I guess they had other things on their minds. Stock trailers are a great option for when you need the best of both worlds. No opinon on the lenght- but backing up a 24' trailer will be different than a 20 but you'll get used to it.
MIfarmbabe
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-07-05 8:50 AM (#27598 - in reply to #27584)

Extreme Veteran

As for the leg wrap question that is up to you. Some people don't wrap or put protective boots on their horses. Me, I do. I use polo wraps with bell boots, mostly for protection, some for support. Just piece of mind for me, because you never know. I have seen cuts and scrapes or worse. My horse usually hauls by himself, so no need to worry about another horse clipping him, but there is always the chance of a sudden stop or accident and him getting hurt in the trailer.

As for the brute in your bunch, you may want to put him in the last stall. There he can't kick anyone per se, and depending on what type of divider there is between him and the next horse, he shouldn't be able to bite.

farmbabe
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2005-07-05 9:31 AM (#27602 - in reply to #27584)

Expert

Wraps are optional. I do not wrap.
NoSpam
Reg. Feb 2005
Posted 2005-07-05 11:05 AM (#27606 - in reply to #27584)

Veteran

We haul in a stock trailer all the time for cattle ranching work...  Up to 6 horses, no leg wraps, and they are saddled and tied in on a slant.  These are trained working horses, no problems ever with the setup.  If we are hauling a colt to pack salt on, he's tied beside a nice steady older horse.

Have not had any problems with head room - my #1300 mustang (15.2hh+)  greatly prefers the open stock trailer which bangs and rattles to my nice tall quiet enclosed horse trailer. ???

YMMV (your milage may vary).

Happy Trails,

Michelle

mom
Reg. Jul 2005
Posted 2005-07-05 11:25 AM (#27608 - in reply to #27587)
Subject: decided on Chapparel stock

New User

I haven't made the final deal yet, but it looks like the winner will be a 24' aluminum Chapparel stock with 7'.

Thanks for all the great advice. I might become a regular the more I trailer!

One more question looms for me: what about wrapping legs? For a short 4 mile trip is it too much of a pain?

MIfarmbabe
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-07-05 11:57 AM (#27611 - in reply to #27584)

Extreme Veteran

Like farmbabe said, that is optional. You never know what could happen in 4 miles or when the horse unloads or loads and something happens. What could be more of a pain is watching your veterinarian suture up your horses leg. You decide.
efaubert1
Reg. Feb 2004
Posted 2005-07-05 12:31 PM (#27616 - in reply to #27584)

Elite Veteran

Wrap if it makes you feel better. My big cncern is hauling horses that get along in a stock trailer. One thing I have learned is that no matter how much pre-planning  and safe guarding you do, if a horse wants to do something stupid he will find a way to make you miserable. Folks complain about mangers and horses gwtting their hooves up there, well I've seen them try to come out the window feet first. Things I've seen that I would not have thought possible: horse over the divider in a two horse straight load, one trying to go under the butt bar, one stuck in a net hay bag that was 5' feet off the floor, one that somehow put his back leg through the butt side slider. If they want to be stupid you can't stop them.
farmbabe
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2005-07-05 12:41 PM (#27619 - in reply to #27584)

Expert

If we really want to protect a horse, then lets just bubble wrap them.  Top to bottom.  (we put in tiny slits for the eyes, perhaps something could then poke the eyes out-oh no!) My experience has been fine without wraps or head bumpers. But alot of people do and thats fine. However, I personally do not see the risk as being any greater shipping a horse without wraps than when they are running around the paddocks playing with each other. 
efaubert1
Reg. Feb 2004
Posted 2005-07-05 12:47 PM (#27620 - in reply to #27584)

Elite Veteran

Wasn't it Featherlight that did the bubble wraped horse campaign? 

That cracked me up!

Terri
Reg. Jan 2004
Posted 2005-07-05 5:49 PM (#27636 - in reply to #27616)

Expert

One of my mares got one of her legs through the top of her hay bag and back out the "eating" hole.  I ended up having to get the bolt cutters out to cut the snap to get her leg down.  We drove about 50 miles and I have no idea how long she was like that.   I about had a heart attack when I opened the door and saw her standing on 3 legs.
Erin_CBT
Reg. Jun 2005
Posted 2005-07-06 10:10 AM (#27674 - in reply to #27584)

I don't know what all manufacturers make one, but a stock combo might be something tho look into. A lot of times they have the horse dividers, but they are removeable to haul other livestock. Just a suggestion!
marn
Reg. Nov 2004
Posted 2005-07-06 1:49 PM (#27688 - in reply to #27584)

Regular

I bought shipping boots after my friend told me about her accident. She and her sister were hauling vetern haulers in a stock trailer with wood floors. Pulled out on the road and the horses stepped into one another. One horse had its hoof damaged so badly it was out for the year while healing. Yes, accidents happen, yes they could do it in a pasture, but if it helps your piece of mind knowing you did something help prevent an injury, it may be worth it. I don't always use them when I haul just one, or with my two horse slant with dividers, but I also think I should since I own them.
FTS
Reg. Jul 2005
Posted 2005-07-09 2:02 PM (#27840 - in reply to #27584)

New User

If you want to get a trailer that will work for cattle and horses you really need a stock trailer, best yet a stock/combo (has a tack room) Goosenecks are usually 7' tall which would work for the tall horse.  The stock trailers have heavier axles and they're made tougher for the cattle.  Consider one with a slant tack room and then you can line the horses up on a slant inside.  I love these trailers, they're open and airy and simple yet strong.  Go for all aluminum if you can swing it.
homeontherange
Reg. Jul 2005
Posted 2005-07-10 7:48 PM (#27874 - in reply to #27584)

New User

Hey, we just got back from a trail ride trip to Black Hills. Hauled 8 in a 20' Duralite(Mfg in Clark,SD - all aluminum and tough - cheap$). Hauled them slant load head to left. They did all right going out but had some trouble comming home. The problems we've had with hauling horses in a stock trailer are: 1) Horse works itself loose and goes over or under another horse = cuts and bruises + mad horses. 2) Tails hit the back wall just right and rubs tail off/raw. 3) I hate the way starts and stops jerk the horses around and throw them into each other. Dividers solve this. 4) In the event you have to panic stop - you know it's gonna happen sooner or later - you slam everyone into the front! I don't like this. 5) Horses stomping around cutting up a nieghbor - we've wrecked alot of shipping boots, wraps work better - I like Professionals Choice SMBII's. I'll never make another long haul with a stock trailer. We've had injuries even on 20 mile hauls. Hauls under 20 miles probably OK to use a stock trailer. If I needed both I'd strongly recomend a stock trailer with removeable dividers. Duralite will build anything you want and not charge you an arm and a leg for it.

Hope this helps!

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)