'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Poll Need advice , Have two HOrses wont trailer, Help

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2005-07-07 10:10 AM
12 replies, 4207 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Horse Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

Casbar
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2005-05-25 8:24 AM (#25643)
Subject: Need advice , Have two HOrses wont trailer, Help

Been Hauling the mare back and forth to 4H , only ll miles , now she gets in there and lies sideways and back and forth with her legs, wow,,fights it the whole way, getting herself hurt, and filed down her hoofs in the back, Now the Gelding 16 hands I can understand why he dosent want to go into a shoebox he takes up all of that w/w two horse, am selling it and going to a gooseneck stock trailer anyone have one for sale?? Dont want them hurt, she used to haul fine except now she is worse and worse, I feel I made the right call about selling it getting something bigger, Thanks Lorinda any ideas tryed feeding them in, tryed lungeing them around ,,etc 
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
huntseat
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-05-25 9:14 AM (#25650 - in reply to #25643)
Subject: RE: Need advice , Have two HOrses wont trailer, Help

Expert

Have you tried them in a stock? Find someone nice enough to let you try one before you buy!
Terri
Reg. Jan 2004
Posted 2005-05-25 12:57 PM (#25662 - in reply to #25643)

Expert

Maybe there is a wiring short and she is getting shocked.
Casbar
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2005-05-25 11:00 PM (#25692 - in reply to #25643)

they do perfect in a gooseneck stock i never tie their heads just turn them lose in there, and I never thought about getting shocked, wow, i ve been in there and even rode back there nothing seems out of the sorts, had the wireing checked, new bearings, tires, etc, seems on the up and up, just really dident want to go to the expense of the gooseneck set up,, we were set, now they wont even get close to that trailer, guess we will do some trail riding close to home, anymore Ideas Ill try did buy some 100.00 shipping boots, she still rubbed till her legs were rubbed raw,, just now have her all healed up and planning on keeping her that way,,Thanks For the Input, Happy Trails from Wyoming Lorinda , Westie , Doc, Jazze,,do have a yearling for sale AQHA,, three to many,,
texasville
Reg. Jun 2005
Posted 2005-06-24 4:57 PM (#27067 - in reply to #25643)

New User

Had a horse that acted that way once, so I cured it with by blindfolding him before I led him in. Turned out he just got too good a look at things flying by. Terrified him. Might work with yours. Might not. Take a turn around the area on a short trip first to see if it works. That way, you can get her out quick if she goes down.
hav2ride
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-06-25 9:25 AM (#27083 - in reply to #25643)

Expert

If she was fine in this same trailer before and all of a sudden got bad, I would look for something in that trailer, like a hot wire.  If she is new or the trailer is new, it may be just the configuration of the trailer causing painc attacks because she thinks she might fall.  Like Huntseat said, see if you can try different ones before you buy another one but it may take a few times for her to lose her fear.
MIfarmbabe
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-06-27 8:29 AM (#27180 - in reply to #25643)

Extreme Veteran

It could be a number of things with your horse not loading in your trailer. Maybe stung by a bee? Loud noise that frightened her while traveling? Slippery floor?

Sounds like you need to start back over with retraining your horse to load. I have heard of people putting their trailers in their horses paddock and leaving feed in it so the horse has to go in it to eat. Sounds crazy but horse's are very food oriented.

Erin_CBT
Reg. Jun 2005
Posted 2005-06-27 9:52 AM (#27196 - in reply to #25643)

I would put your trailer in the pasture and let the horse get used to it again. Put the food close to the trailer but not in it to start, then gradually move it to where the horse has to get in. They will start to associate the trailer as being good because that's where they get food.

Clinton Anderson with Downunder Horsemanship has a good video on loading and basic training, might be a good investment!

Terri
Reg. Jan 2004
Posted 2005-06-27 12:23 PM (#27214 - in reply to #27180)

Expert

That is the way my mother trained all her horses to load.  In a 2 horse strait load she would put the grain/water on one side and the hay/water in the other and kept water in the pen.   They had to go in one side, back out and go in the other side for the rest of their meal.  She always had water in the trailer and pen so the stubborn ones wouldn't get dehydrated.

Just make sure the trailer is secured (hooked to truck) so it can't tilt or roll.  That will only make the problem much worse.

laxpatrick
Reg. Aug 2004
Posted 2005-06-30 9:54 AM (#27407 - in reply to #25643)

Veteran

Another recommendation for Clinton's video. 

Or I can save you the $$ - make the environment outside the trailer = work and the environment inside the trailer = relaxation.  The trailer he uses ("float" in Aussie speak) uses a ramp.  Just a subtle difference.

By work, I mean lead rope lunging outside the trailer.  Then bring them to load - they get the idea pretty quickly once they start getting tired.  Be sure to reward every try - every step closer, in, out, etc should be rewarded - sniffing the trailer counts, too!

Also be sure to work on not only getting them in, but also stopping, relaxing and importantly, exiting slowly and in a relaxed fashion.  That can be dangerous if they panic and force you into a rapid exit.  Lots to go wrong there...

Like all the trainers say - make the bad thing "work" and the good thing "easy"...

LAXPatrick

appy4me
Reg. Jul 2005
Posted 2005-07-02 9:21 AM (#27519 - in reply to #25643)

Veteran

The problem you describe sounds like "scrambling".  It can be very dangerous for the horse and your rig going down the road.  It can happen from a bad trailer experience (slam on brakes, take fast corner).  The horse panics thinking and preparing for the worst, thus he "scrambles".  There are many articles on the subject that you can find online, or as I prefer, western horseman. 

As for loading, I like John Lyons method.  It's simple, and after 10 years, hasn't failed me yet!  I too like Clinton Anderson, but if you lounge your horse every time before you load, it would just further condition him and after time he would require more lounging before getting "tired". 

Good luck with whatever you decide!  I have a horse that used to give me trouble, and I know the frustration you must feel.

Diane

laxpatrick
Reg. Aug 2004
Posted 2005-07-05 12:47 PM (#27621 - in reply to #25643)

Veteran

The point of Anderson's method isn't to condition them to longeing every time you load them - that completely misses the point.

Rather his method and others is to condition the horse that the trailer is a place of comfort (as much as possible!) - something they don't mind going into. By making "outside" associated with work or pressure. Some folks/trainers introduce pressure with other means - ropes, noise, whatever.

Once they've accepted the trailer as such a place, they should learn to load and unload predictably and with ease - without longeing.

I'm not saying Clinton's the way to go - I watch a bunch of trainers and take a little here and there and don't use stuff that doesn't work.

LAXPatrick
equigal
Reg. Apr 2005
Posted 2005-07-07 10:10 AM (#27732 - in reply to #25643)
Subject: re: loading issues

Regular

I had a mare that wouldn't load...just planted her feet and said"I don't think so today...Had trailered before, never hurt and had no issues once loaded.Solution with her was, lunging til she was ready to quit.( then asked to keep working for a bit, til I was ready to have her stop).Then she loaded and was rewarded in the trailer with some rest (and possibly a carrot).This had to be done 2-3 times before she clued in..if you don't load, you will be worked (hard).It did not increase her fitness level (because I only had to do it a few times) but it worked...she still needs a minute to think about it when asked to load, but constant pressure on the lead and in she goes.It really is mind over matter with these critters and what works for one, may not work for the other.I have learned that force usually doesn't work...You've got to out-think them....teeheee (sometimes hard) and pick a time when you are not rushed so that you can take as long as necessary.I always haul by myself, so loading issues can be very difficult to deal with...Pick your battles carefully, don't start something that you are not prepared to finish and always make sure that you are the winner in the war, if not the battles!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)