'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
furring strip spacing

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2005-06-03 8:55 AM
3 replies, 3986 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

NoSpam
Reg. Feb 2005
Posted 2005-06-02 9:34 AM (#25998)
Subject: furring strip spacing

Veteran

Hi, I'm ready to start doing the furring strips.  Any suggestions on spacing for them?  I am leaning toward sheet oak plywood for paneling, so will likely run the strips vertically.

Happy Trails,

Michelle

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
maccwall
Reg. May 2004
Posted 2005-06-02 1:36 PM (#26015 - in reply to #25998)
Subject: RE: furring strip spacing

Extreme Veteran

If I remember right, I think mine are spaced 14" apart. 16" seemed to far and 12" seemed to close together. I've gone back and added strips where I needed them. 1x3's for the cabinets and such.

Safe Riding,
Todd
packerpete
Reg. Mar 2004
Posted 2005-06-02 1:47 PM (#26017 - in reply to #25998)

Veteran

16" is a good rule of thumb. I would recommend that you have some furring at the top and bottom of the wall.

I personally added an additional strip at 48" up from the floor to provide some backing for outlets (surface mounted). I covered my vertical mounted plywood  with FRP that I mounted horizontally.

NoSpam
Reg. Feb 2005
Posted 2005-06-03 8:55 AM (#26034 - in reply to #26017)

Veteran

Thanks Todd and Pete.  I ended up putting them on 12" centers after looking at the steel tube spacing.  Plus I'd rather overbuild it a little as we mostly camp up in the forest on horrible washboarded roads.

I installed a strip at the bottom, but did not put one at the top (at least on the wall I'm working on).  The top steel tube up there - the arched one at the very top - is a bit thinner than the other beams so it would require a lot of shimming to get it level with the rest of the wall.  I am not sure if what I did will work (it is level and flush at the top).  If not, it's all screwed together and could be unscrewed.   The side walls will hopefully be easier.

Thanks for the input!

Pictures attached.

Happy Trails,

Michelle

p

s.  I am going to use 3" strips around the doors and windows so I can put in a few extra screws.

Edited by NoSpam 2005-06-03 8:58 AM
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)