'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Steel vs Aluminum (again)

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2005-06-03 1:08 PM
7 replies, 3637 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

keliy23
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2005-06-02 12:53 PM (#26012)
Subject: Steel vs Aluminum (again)

Ok, I have another steel v/s aluminum question.

I notice there are a ton of pros and cons to both the all steel and all aluminum trailers.

I am now at a point of confusion do to all the options.

It appears that both trailers will either rust or corrode if not taken care of properly and cleaned out regularly after use, and like with everything, they both will deteriorate with age. It seems that both need to be cleaned and cleaned pretty much on the same fashion, one not being easier than the other.

So my basic question is; what is the true difference between the two types of trailers. Is weight really that big of a difference to make an all aluminum trailer better?

I see all steel trailers seem better when it comes to doing conversions because it is easier and cheaper to find a welder. I think the appearance of the all aluminum is nicer. But truly, what are the reasons to pick one over the other. Please if anyone can help me with this, and opinions and suggestions would be nice…

Thanks A Bunch

Kelly…

PS… I am speaking general of all steel or all aluminum, not half and half…

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
psyncere
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2005-06-02 1:05 PM (#26013 - in reply to #26012)
Subject: RE: Steel vs Aluminum (again)

I sell both aluminum and steel/w aluminum skin and I find it is really a personal preference.  stell is stronger and if built properly(with undercoating and treatment) and taken care of well will probably last as long as aluminum.  but the care of a steel trailer is much more crucial than with an aluminum.  steel is also easier fixed in case of an accident etc.  but I really think it all goes back to the personal preference of the owner.
efaubert1
Reg. Feb 2004
Posted 2005-06-02 1:23 PM (#26014 - in reply to #26012)

Elite Veteran

The biggest advantage of teel over aluminum, in my opinion, is the fact that it has a higher flexural strngth, and tensile elongation before failure. In laymen terms: Aluminum bends, it causes small unseen fissures/cracks, until it is bent one too many times and it snaps. Steel bends, and then returns to its original shape, or close to it. The steel is also more easily workable by more folks, like welders, body shops and so on.
Reg
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-06-02 5:11 PM (#26019 - in reply to #26012)

Expert

There are sufficient cases extant to indicate that good and poor trailers can be designed and built from either material (and both). Probably the worst cases are those that have been designed for one material and built in the other. Just grabbing the tables to find an equivalent strength section in the other material is NOT translating a design.
I suggest you focus AWAY from the construction material and TOWARDS the trailer you want/need. There are many good trailers that shouldn't be passed up just because their construction is primarily of a particular metal.
With proper design neither material is going anywhere near it's elastic limit, so metal fatigue isn't an issue. With poor design, lets not even think about it, anything can happen.

chadsalt
Reg. Nov 2004
Posted 2005-06-02 7:27 PM (#26021 - in reply to #26019)

Expert

Originally written by Reg on 2005-06-02 6:11 PM

There are sufficient cases extant to indicate that good and poor trailers can be designed and built from either material (and both). Probably the worst cases are those that have been designed for one material and built in the other. Just grabbing the tables to find an equivalent strength section in the other material is NOT translating a design. I suggest you focus AWAY from the construction material and TOWARDS the trailer you want/need. There are many good trailers that shouldn't be passed up just because their construction is primarily of a particular metal. With proper design neither material is going anywhere near it's elastic limit, so metal fatigue isn't an issue. With poor design, lets not even think about it, anything can happen.

exactly.
keliy23
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2005-06-03 6:35 AM (#26029 - in reply to #26012)

I understand all the structure differences and some of all those little details. Thanks Reg for putting that out though. But I trully believe now, that the difference is trully personal. If picking the correct company with the right structure features to make the trailer safe both all steel or all alum are both good. It seems the only real difference would be weight but it seems that the weight issue is normally a minimum. I thank you to everyone for their input. Of course I still have no idea what or which trailer to get, but I guess I will just go to my nearest trailer company and pick the one I like the best...

Thanks Everyone!!!!  

Babygoose
Reg. Feb 2004
Posted 2005-06-03 8:08 AM (#26032 - in reply to #26012)

The price!
gemm
Reg. Feb 2005
Posted 2005-06-03 1:08 PM (#26047 - in reply to #26012)

Extreme Veteran

Also consider your location. People who live in moist areas (coastal or humid) might think the additional cost of aluminum is worth it, since their upkeep on steel is greater in those areas. People in dry areas have less to worry about with steel and they can save $.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)