'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Hauling other peoples horses

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2005-06-01 5:49 PM
28 replies, 10058 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

Summit1
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2005-05-29 6:37 PM (#25806 - in reply to #25801)
Subject: RE: Hauling other peoples horses

Our trainer, who also owns the barn we stable at, has a commercial drivers licence and plate because if you're hauling overweight and you only have a passenger licence and something happens, you're not covered.  I don't know if the weight allowances in Canada and the States are the same, but in Canada it's around 10,200 pounds.  When the kids are eventing they have to belong to Horse Council which also covers the loss of someone elses horse if you're hauling it. 
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
Reg
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-05-29 7:15 PM (#25808 - in reply to #25305)

Expert

A similar situation when hauling neighbors' kids to soccer, ballet, band, whatever practice. Neighbors themselves to work or the airport, or their parents for dialysis or chemo. I doubt that I'll stop doing those trips either, liability issues can rear their heads when they will.
So hossies ?, well its just another liability risk - I'll continue to take it (-:
headhunter
Reg. Oct 2004
Posted 2005-06-01 5:38 PM (#25967 - in reply to #25305)

Elite Veteran

I will "carpool" with someone who has similar equipment to mine, if we are going to the same event, and I know them and their horse's manners well, but that's it. I just have a standing rule of not loaning out things.

We recently moved to a rural area so we would have room for horses, and it amazes me how many of our "city friends" have assumed it would be ok to store their campers, boats, etc. on our property just because we have room. We have just started telling everyone we didn't move to a rural area to look at everyone else's stuff and we aren't storing anything for anybody.

When I was in high school my parents loaned our horse trailer to some friends who had bought a horse for their daughter and needed to go pick it up. The had the audacity to rewire the trailer electrical plug to fit their rig and then didn't change it back when they returned it - and didn't tell my parents. First trip out the turn signal activated the brakes, etc. it was a real mess. You just never know what will happen to your rig if you loan it out.
Terri
Reg. Jan 2004
Posted 2005-06-01 5:49 PM (#25971 - in reply to #25967)

Expert

We recently moved to a rural area so we would have room for horses, and it amazes me how many of our "city friends" have assumed it would be ok to store their campers, boats, etc. on our property just because we have room. We have just started telling everyone we didn't move to a rural area to look at everyone else's stuff and we aren't storing anything for anybody.

We have some friends that thought that just because we had some land, that they could come out and burn their leaves and mail (with personal info).  I came home one day and they had a HUGE fire in the middle of my pasture.  It hadn't rained in 2 months, I about had a heart attack.  Fortunately my neighbour was out there with all his waterhoses and  I hauled out mine and we put it out.  I couldn't believe that they would have the nerve to do something like that without even asking.

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)