'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Aluminum Horse Trailer - Problem with the finish after cleaning

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2021-05-28 5:22 AM
2 replies, 1694 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

Cody Wright
Reg. May 2021
Posted 2021-05-27 1:08 PM (#173724)
Subject: Aluminum Horse Trailer - Problem with the finish after cleaning

New User

I took my my horse trailer for some repairs - they offered to wash it - i said ok.
They are a highly rated trailer repair facility near me.
The trailer was acid washed and then power washed.
When I picked it up it had streaks all over it - like the finish came off with the pressure wash.

I used Mother's Aluminum and meguiars when I got it home thinking polishing would repair it. Nope.

The trailer repair facility owner came out to see the trailer and said that he has never seen anything like it and isn't sure how it can be fixed except with a complete paint job - which I would prefer not to do.

He said it's an anodized trailer and the finish is probably old and came off.

Well -that's not how it went into the shop - and I should have just washed it by hand.

Does anyone have any experience with something like this? Any recommendations on how to restore / repair the finish? It looks terrible. Pic attached.

(trailer pic 1a.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments trailer pic 1a.jpg (99KB - 3 downloads)
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
RTSmith
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2021-05-27 3:08 PM (#173725 - in reply to #173724)
Subject: RE: Aluminum Horse Trailer - Problem with the finish after cleaning

Elite Veteran

I might be mistaken, but I believe that is mill finish aluminum. As in just bare aluminum. Which if so, with some technique can probably be cleaned up some. Cool trailer, mild to medium strength aluminum wash, and careful washing and rinsing.  
HappyTrailsTrailers
Reg. Apr 2016
Posted 2021-05-28 5:22 AM (#173726 - in reply to #173724)
Subject: RE: Aluminum Horse Trailer - Problem with the finish after cleaning

Hello -
that was a big mistake - this is anodized - nothing you can or should do to anodized  other than mild car wash soap and rinse well -
this material was discontinued because its finish would not last long before it would develop white streaking - strangely you can wipe WD 40 on it and get a good VERY temporary result
If otherwise a great trailer and a keeper and you do not want to live with the current state: I would consider hoping materials costs come down and have the trailer alum skin replaced - painting would probably cost more than replacement of the skin 
Risa
HappyTrailsTrailers
BalancedRideTrailers
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'