'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Norcold

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2017-10-16 11:04 PM
4 replies, 3643 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

Lazy M
Reg. Feb 2005
Posted 2017-10-16 6:28 AM (#170746)
Subject: Norcold

Regular

Hi, 
I have had, my new to me trailer, for a few months now and it seems that no matter the outdoor tremprature the refrigerator can only cool to about 50 degrees.   It is a 5.5 Norcold and the trailer is 15 years old.   I am assuming the refrigerator is original, is there anything to be done to improve cooling or is it just at the end of it's life span?
Thanks
Joan 
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
RustyScupper
Reg. Mar 2013
Posted 2017-10-16 12:16 PM (#170747 - in reply to #170746)
Subject: RE: Norcold

Veteran

no expert here, but could be a dirty orfice and rusted burner.  Can you see the flame?  Is it blue and strong?
cajunmuleman
Reg. Oct 2011
Posted 2017-10-16 3:19 PM (#170748 - in reply to #170746)

Elite Veteran

I am not an expert either, but I have had to clean the fins like the attached memo says. What follows is something I got from the internet

Hope this helps-- Good Luck

1. The first thing to know is that the cooling units on every Norcold gas absorption refrigerator are gravity operated and MUST be level in order to run properly.
  2. The second thing you need to understand is that the refrigerator will not cool properly if it is too hot outside (typically over 90 degrees F ambient). The refrigerator needs good air flow across the "condenser fins" that are located at the top of the cooling unit. If you remove your refrigerator's access panel on the outside of the RV you should be able to look up and see these fins. Make sure that there are no obstructions. If your refrigerator doesn't have good air flow it will not cool properly. Many models do not come with external fans behind the cooling unit. For the RVers that love the heat, we recommend installing some fans in the back to help with the air flow.
  3. The next thing to check is your Thermistor (thermostat/ resistor) located inside the refrigerator. It has a 4-prong connector located at your light fixture at one end and the other end connects inside the refrigerator on one of the back fins. To test this Thermistor you don't need any tools whatsoever. Provided your refrigerator is not showing any fault codes, you can turn the temperature setting as cold as it gets and disconnect this Thermistor. If it cools properly, you have a bad Thermistor. If, however, you do have a multi-meter, here is an article on testing the thermistor for resistance:
    Norcold Thermistor Test (<-click)
  4. If you checked all of the following and it's still not cooling as well as it should, we highly recommend purchasing a Camco Aerator (<-click) and having it pointed towards the fins inside the refrigerator compartment. This should drop the temperature in the refrigerator section several degrees.

beeoerdog
Reg. Jan 2014
Posted 2017-10-16 6:56 PM (#170749 - in reply to #170746)

Extreme Veteran

you might need to clean the flue as well
PaulChristenson
Reg. Jan 2007
Posted 2017-10-16 11:04 PM (#170750 - in reply to #170746)

Expert

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e3K0fQxqiuc
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'