'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
water issues and new to me LQ trailer

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2013-08-28 1:11 PM
14 replies, 4912 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

janjan1
Reg. Jun 2011
Posted 2013-08-27 10:18 AM (#154325)
Subject: water issues and new to me LQ trailer

Ok so Ive gotten a new to me 2008 Keifer LQ 3 horse slant load trailer. I recently had a ramp added to the rear. Ive had no problems except for ONE. Ive plugged it into my house for power, lights, AC works fine. Plugged up water hose to see about the water in the trailer. The water filled up the tank, I have hot water, water in the kitchen sink, water in the toilet and water comes out the shower just fine......BUT when I am running the water into the trailer, it all works and there is a red tube, about 1/2 inch round that hangs under the trailer that runs water out at the same time. So, what is that tube and why is the water coming out that as much as I run in at the same time? Thoughts anyone?
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2013-08-27 10:37 AM (#154326 - in reply to #154325)
Subject: RE: water issues and new to me LQ trailer

Expert

It might be an overflow hose used when your tank is full. Or if you're using the shore water port, it could be the drain line to your tank.

The easiest way to determine what it is, is to measure its placement under your trailer. With that knowledge go inside to the same location and check out your trailer's plumbing. You should be able to discern its function by how it is used in the water system. If the hose is red, this should be very easy to determine. It it's located at the top of the tank near the inlet hose and runs through a hole in the floor, it's probably an over flow vent line.

Once the water tank is full, unless you have a shore source port, addition water is not usually continuously fed into the trailer, until the tank volume is lowered.

Bhill
Reg. May 2013
Posted 2013-08-27 11:02 AM (#154328 - in reply to #154325)

Veteran

I wonder if you have a bypass valve open? This sounds like the water only comes out with the pump on? So this red line must be downstream of the pump?? Since this line is red may be it is a hot water drain or bypass?? Just a thought
RTSmith
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2013-08-27 12:33 PM (#154331 - in reply to #154325)

Elite Veteran

It is either a low point drain, or more likely the tank drain. Follow it into the trailer, and at the top of the tube (section of water line actually) there will be a valve that you need to close. It will be in a closet, cabinet, or under a sofa/dinette. Valve could be a lift to open, or a twist to open.
janjan1
Reg. Jun 2011
Posted 2013-08-27 1:38 PM (#154333 - in reply to #154328)

Pump...so I have a pump? This is something else I will have to investigate on.  The hot water tank and the water tank is up under the couch.  I had to turn a valve on in order for the water to go into the hotwater tank.  I will take your advise and look further, to see where the lines run and to find out about this pump.  Do you suppose there is a switch somewhere to turn on this pump? If so, where is the likely place for it?

TIA

Jan

Bhill
Reg. May 2013
Posted 2013-08-27 1:44 PM (#154334 - in reply to #154333)

Veteran

...Pump...so I have a pump? This is something else I will have to investigate on.  ........ Do you suppose there is a switch somewhere to turn on this pump? If so, where is the likely place for it?

TIA

Jan

If the water flows freely from your fixtures without being connected to city water- then you have a pump. The switch is possibly located near a monitor panel that shows fluid levels in black tank, grey tank and battery state of charge. Or you may have a switch near the sink??? At any rate you should hear the pump when you open a faucet....
Bhill
Reg. May 2013
Posted 2013-08-27 1:47 PM (#154335 - in reply to #154325)

Veteran

In order to fill a hot water heater you should open the hot side on a faucet. The valve you opened may need to be closed ( this maybe the source of your water draining out the red line)
janjan1
Reg. Jun 2011
Posted 2013-08-27 7:59 PM (#154350 - in reply to #154334)

Ok, you were right. The water pump switch is by the water level monitor on the stove stop hood under the microwave. It is clearly marked as water pump. I turned it on, listened and it was on and walked outside looked under the trailer and the water was pumping out the bottom from the red pipe. I came back inside, turned the pump off and the water stopped. So again, what is that water leaving the trailer and why? My question continues.
Bhill
Reg. May 2013
Posted 2013-08-27 8:30 PM (#154353 - in reply to #154350)

Veteran

........So again, what is that water leaving the trailer and why? My question continues.
Try closing the valve you opened to fill the hot water tank. I believe you may be pumping water out the hot water tank drain ( red water line)
janjan1
Reg. Jun 2011
Posted 2013-08-27 8:43 PM (#154356 - in reply to #154353)

Ok will recheck this tomorrow. Have already did night checks at the barn, and its dark outside. I did check all my manuals today that came with this trailer. The former owners were sticklers about keeping everything, copies of sales invoices etc, and they have everything from the original purchase from dealer. I didn't however see anything concerning the water lines. If I can't get this issue clear in my mind, or turn the correct valve on or off, then I may go back to the local RV dealer who seems to know things about a LQ and will be able to actually get up under this thing and point. I'm a very visual person and understand more by seeing things when it's explained. Did I mention that I'm a senior citizen? 60 next year. Old army brat that finally got what she has wanted all these years. Also have a new F450 to pull this trailer, pulls like a dream. Anyway, thanks for the advice, I'll recheck tomorrow during daylight.
Bhill
Reg. May 2013
Posted 2013-08-27 8:52 PM (#154357 - in reply to #154325)

Veteran

Good luck let us know the outcome!
horsey1
Reg. Dec 2004
Posted 2013-08-28 9:13 AM (#154376 - in reply to #154325)

Elite Veteran

My .02$ worth. Set up an appointment with the RV dealership for one of the service advisors, or whomever "delivers" their new RVs. They'll have an hour and a half lesson that will show you things that you will want and need to know. Any good dealer does this with the customer, sometimes private sellers don't. But the $125 or so you spend, will be well worth it in enhanched joy of use.
Bhill
Reg. May 2013
Posted 2013-08-28 9:31 AM (#154378 - in reply to #154325)

Veteran

Horsey1 - Is correct- perhaps a visit to a RV dealership will help. In the RV world when you buy a new RV the dealer is likely required to give you a PDI ( pre- delivery inspection ) of the unit. The PDI goes through a check- list with you , the dealer covers the operations of systems and components. Most RV dealership can easily walk you through your LQ in a just a few minutes.
janjan1
Reg. Jun 2011
Posted 2013-08-28 11:01 AM (#154382 - in reply to #154357)

Good morning, just wanted to give you a update on my findings. There was indeed a valve open. It was prob opened during the wintering of this trailer and not closed upon my purchase. It was under the couch where the hot water heater and water tank is located. I crawled under the trailer, gave it a good look as to approx location, went inside and with my glasses on and flashlight in hand, and trailer lights on.....I was able to locate the tube, the valve and now everything is right with my section of the trailer world. Thanks so much for steering me in the right direction. I will certainly keep on learning about the LQ and look forward to pulling this to wherever I can and hope to enjoy it to its fullest.
I will also keep on lerking this board to learn more and get more answers to
more questions as they arise.

Bhill
Reg. May 2013
Posted 2013-08-28 1:11 PM (#154384 - in reply to #154325)

Veteran

Enjoy!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'