'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Trouble with single wire lights in tack area

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2012-07-24 9:40 AM
7 replies, 3630 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

below_gravity
Reg. Jun 2011
Posted 2012-07-23 4:47 PM (#145769)
Subject: Trouble with single wire lights in tack area

New User

I have a 1987 4 Star GN, which has inside lights in the front, mid-tack, and horse area. All of the outside lights work (running, turn signal) but none of the inside ones do.

We started check for the connection box and couldn't find it. In the mean time, we found that the lights are "single wire" lights (i am not familiar with how these work - apparently they are self grounding? and then there is a piece of black wire screwed to the panel with two ends) but the GROUND wire (black) is exposed for connection, not the HOT (red). And, yes, we checked that red was actually hot. Any suggestions for what might be going on??? We also check the fuses in the truck, and one was blown which we replaced. Sill no good 8
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
trot-on
Reg. Dec 2009
Posted 2012-07-23 5:09 PM (#145770 - in reply to #145769)
Subject: RE: Trouble with single wire lights in tack area

Extreme Veteran

Have you taken any of the bulbs out, and see if the socket is getting power?

When you checked the red (hot) wire, at what point did you check it? At one of the lights? Or up at the connector to truck?

And, is there a battery inside for the interior lights to run? I had an older trailer that didn't, and they only worked when plugged in to the truck, and lights were on. Current trailer runs off the 12V for my interior lights
frenchboy
Reg. Feb 2006
Posted 2012-07-23 5:19 PM (#145771 - in reply to #145769)

What "panel" are you referring to. The inside lights are wired one of two ways. #1 would require a full time hot wire be wired into 6way female receptacle on your towing vehicle. Ckeck for hot wire in your truck first, chances are there isn't one or it is not in the correct location. I think it was in the center of the plug in that model year. Otherwise it would be wired such that outside lights would be in the on position for inside lights to work. Since outside lights work properly I would assume the ground wire is OK. Check inside your trailer plug to be sure someone has not disconnected your hot wire.
below_gravity
Reg. Jun 2011
Posted 2012-07-23 5:33 PM (#145773 - in reply to #145769)

New User

to clarify, nevermind the panel comment.

What is really confusing us is why it appears that the single wire light would be connected to the ground wire only.

The red wire is hot, but there is not connection spot.
PaulChristenson
Reg. Jan 2007
Posted 2012-07-24 1:22 AM (#145789 - in reply to #145773)

Expert

Originally written by below_gravity on 2012-07-23 5:33 PM

to clarify, nevermind the panel comment.What is really confusing us is why it appears that the single wire light would be connected to the ground wire only.The red wire is hot, but there is not connection spot.
Companies are notorious for using any color wires they seem to have an abundant supply of...so just because a wire is black does NOT mean it is NOT a hot wire...you will need to do continuity checks from a known point in your wiring harness
below_gravity
Reg. Jun 2011
Posted 2012-07-24 7:21 AM (#145792 - in reply to #145769)

New User

Yes, we did confirm that the red wire is the hot leg by the light. And it does not appear that the light connects to the hot, just to the ground...would that ever make any sense?
siseley
Reg. Jul 2006
Posted 2012-07-24 9:08 AM (#145795 - in reply to #145769)

Extreme Veteran

Not unless it was wired for a pos grond! I have not seen any of those since my BRG Midget, back in the "60's". Try jumping the red wire to the bulb, and unhooking the black, so you get power to the base of the socket. ( that is if the socet grounds to the chassis)
skippyvcu
Reg. May 2006
Posted 2012-07-24 9:40 AM (#145798 - in reply to #145792)

Regular

It could be that the red wire going by the light is an unswithced power source to another location, such as rear loading lights, and the light is probably connected to a switched power source and it appears to be a ground because no power is being supplied from the switch.  If there is no power at the light you will have to trace the circuit back to the source.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)