'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
One of those "I'm buying a trailer" questions...

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2012-06-06 3:44 PM
12 replies, 5840 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

WPchrome
Reg. Jun 2012
Posted 2012-06-05 1:26 PM (#144561)
Subject: One of those "I'm buying a trailer" questions...

This is my first post, so go easy on me I am in the market for a trailer (my first one, after 15 years of owning horses lol!), and am looking at Featherlite, specifically the 9407. My horse is a super calm hauler, so mangers will not be an issue with me. My question is more of a "what would you do?" There are a few trailer options to chose from:1). A used 2007 9407 step up in white with graphics, 42' tack, used rarely (less than ten times according to the ad) $11,300 obo, 2.5 hours away that I am looking at tomorrow.2). Five new 2012's on a lot in MD (about 500 miles/ 8 hours away), with ramps, step ups, silver or white with graphics, price range $13,700-16,100.3). Suck it up and buy a custom and get the color and options I want, which are a ramp (though not required for me, this is just very popular on straight loads in New England so it's what I'm used to), NOT white, the larger 48" DR, and maybe as extras the "wave" panels and cool looking LED's in the horse areaand on another note, if anyone has hauled with or owned a featherlite or 9407, feel free to comment on likes/dislikes! Not many people in my area use Featherlite, mostly just rusty steel calico stocks...Thank you everyone
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
trot-on
Reg. Dec 2009
Posted 2012-06-05 4:14 PM (#144565 - in reply to #144561)
Subject: RE: One of those "I'm buying a trailer" questions...

Extreme Veteran

Welcome to the group!

I start with making sure the trailer I am choosing, is not to heavy for the truck I will be towing with. Not sure if there is any weight difference in all these trailers, or what your truck is.

After that, I'd say get exactly what you want. Go look at a few lots, and check out the different trailers. My gut says you are gonna be the type to keep what you buy for awhile. So don't get something that you say later, "Why didn't I get........."

Happy shopping!!!!
WPchrome
Reg. Jun 2012
Posted 2012-06-05 5:50 PM (#144568 - in reply to #144561)

Thank you for the advice! I drive a 2010 silverado 1500 with a 3.08 axle ratio (6 speed), tows awesome, doesn't feel like anything is behind me when I tow my friends trailer! I believe these trailers are 2600-3000 pounds.Thanks again!
jackbrat
Reg. Sep 2005
Posted 2012-06-05 8:08 PM (#144575 - in reply to #144561)

Elite Veteran

Make sure your trailer stalls are big enough for the horse. If I were to do it all again, I would get a 7'6 tall trailer with longer stalls. Much better re-sale anyways. Just in case you decide to get something else later down the road. Or even a new horse( we all do it) Anyways, just make sure YOU take the measurements from inside the trailer so that you know the EXACT dimensions. I got sold a trailer that was 7' tall. OUTSIDE measurements I find out later and too late since I bought it because I was told it was a 7" tall. Don't take anyone elses word. MEASURE it yourself. Also, a lot of stalls length are different. Mine are too short for my longer horses.I would stay away from mangers that are built in. I have had three friends now that their horses one day decided to jump into the manger and got stuck. These are horses who never had a problem before and traveled in these trailers for years before pulling this. Mine did the same thing one day. Never had a problem and then one day started putting a leg up into the manger . Then both legs. You can always add the corner mangers that just clip in and if you dont want them then just remove them. With the built in mangers you are stuck with them if your horse starts "having issues". And remember, you will end up hauling friends horses who may not trailer as well as yours. Good luck and have fun!
jackbrat
Reg. Sep 2005
Posted 2012-06-05 8:13 PM (#144576 - in reply to #144561)

Elite Veteran

Forgot to add, the ramp will add extra weight. If you want to keep the weight down, I would remove the ramp if possible. Also those things are a pain in the back to have to let down and back up when you don't really need it if your horse loads fine. Plus, I have seen more horses resist loading in a ramp trailer than a step-up.
WPchrome
Reg. Jun 2012
Posted 2012-06-05 9:38 PM (#144579 - in reply to #144561)

Thanks! I am still a little weary of the mangers, if my horse ever started acting funny with them I'd probably trade for something else (he does fine with mangers now, just likes to mess up his black hoof polish on them if he is bored at shows, of course)eta: and I will definitely be taking my tape measure with me, great tip!

Edited by WPchrome 2012-06-05 9:40 PM
jackbrat
Reg. Sep 2005
Posted 2012-06-05 11:02 PM (#144583 - in reply to #144561)

Elite Veteran

Also, if you do go new...get everything you want on the trailer then and there because it is soo much more expensive to add later. That and you most likely will just not get it done anyways.
randemtam
Reg. Jun 2007
Posted 2012-06-06 11:34 AM (#144601 - in reply to #144561)

Extreme Veteran

If you decide to order, make a list of every little thing you want so you don't forget. Aslo, be sure your salesperson understands what you are talking about. It's amazing how things get lost in translation. If you have a nagging feeling something may not be right, find a photo or draw what you are talking about. Most things on a small trailer aren't brain science but it's amazing what can get screwed up because it was lost in translation.

I used to hate ramps but now dislike most step ups.  The ramps on trailers now are much lighter and feel much firmer to the horse.  I have had my horse slide out of the back of my friend's tall step up trailer and nearly fall under it. He's not a big horse and was not doing anything stupid, it was just such a long way down.  I don't care for mangers in a 2 horse but ended up with mangers in my 3 horse because of the added storage. It's working ok.  I had the snap in vinyl mangers in my old trailer and my horse stuck his foot in them twice in the 10 years that I had the trailer.  They didn't break either....so, no gurantees either way. This was a different horse than the one that slid out of my friend's trailer. He's much larger and heavier and can really get that leg up high when he's mad.

Good luck in your trailer hunt!

WPchrome
Reg. Jun 2012
Posted 2012-06-06 1:25 PM (#144607 - in reply to #144561)

Hi Again...so I woke up at 10 am to find an email saying the used one had a deposit down...as of this morning (early birds!!!) so in my frustration I went to an Exiss dealership and am now getting a quote on a custom 2 horse (Exiss is far less expensive than Featherlite for some reason and I've always loved their trailers--to use and to look at).

Another question, does anyone know how much warmer a black trailer runs? I am getting a quote for a black body with aluminum sheeting on the side (I do not live in the south, so I won't have it in 110 degree heat or anything)....thanks again for all the input!

Edited by WPchrome 2012-06-06 1:28 PM

gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2012-06-06 3:11 PM (#144613 - in reply to #144561)

Expert

When you purchase a trailer, I would highly recommend that you consider the XT siding on the Exiss as opposed to the SS skin. These siding extrusions are also available on most other brands under various nomenclatures.

The extruded siding is much more durable, won't show as well when it's scratched, and is far more resistant to denting than the sheet siding. Because each plank is welded to the framework at every stud, the box is more rigid than those with their sheets applied with tape.

WPchrome
Reg. Jun 2012
Posted 2012-06-06 3:38 PM (#144614 - in reply to #144561)

Those are the aluminum sides right (I don't know what exiss calls them, but in Featherlite they are "wave" panels)? I did ask to have that included in the quote, love them too much to leave them out
WPchrome
Reg. Jun 2012
Posted 2012-06-06 3:40 PM (#144615 - in reply to #144561)

I'll try to get a pic....having some technical difficulties.

Edited by WPchrome 2012-06-06 3:43 PM
WPchrome
Reg. Jun 2012
Posted 2012-06-06 3:44 PM (#144616 - in reply to #144561)

like these?
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)