'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Do Most People Over Buy when it Comes to Horse Trailers?

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2012-03-23 10:34 AM
17 replies, 9265 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

blackcows
Reg. Mar 2010
Posted 2012-03-19 7:03 AM (#142262)
Subject: Do Most People Over Buy when it Comes to Horse Trailers?

Extreme Veteran

I have been participating on this forum for several years now and as others know several times a month there is a question about the quality of this and that trailer, which brand names are best, should I get this trailer and so on.

In my opinion it would be difficult to purchase any trailer that wouldn't be sufficient for what 99% of horse owner use their trailer for.  In my lifetime I have been around hundreds of trailers, the majority used for for hauling cattle.  Most of the time they are used to haul more cattle than they should and anyone that has every hauled cattle know that most of the time they don't load and haul nearly as calm as horses do.  Most have been bounced down county roads and through pastures too many times to count and most are used and abused.  I don't know of too many trailers, despite their abuse, that have fallen apart.  I know people that have had a broken gate or something like that but for the most part the vast majority of trailers can stand MUCH more abuse than any horse owner will ever give.

Wondering what others think?  Do a lot people walk by trailers that would fit them very well because they have been convinced that brand x or brand y will never hold up to the "abuse" of hauling two horses 20 miles down a paved road to the indoor show facility?

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
Spin Doctor
Reg. Nov 2008
Posted 2012-03-19 9:28 AM (#142268 - in reply to #142262)
Subject: RE: Do Most People Over Buy when it Comes to Horse Trailers?

Extreme Veteran

I would agree that a lot over buy, but they might/should get some of it back in resale if they ever get out of it. I bought, what a lot would consider (me included) a lower end trailer -- a new Exiss 18' Sport gooseneck on an internet/bankruptcy sale. But, I just haul 4-5 very broke horses in it several times a week and an occasional roping steer. Paid 5-8k less than any mid to top line trailer. I did have to buy mats, weld in window tracks, and put new hinges on it, but still saving 4-7k. Works for me. Wonder if I ever trade/sell, what will happen? A lot, IMO, depends on if you want to have to work on it or not. On this trailer, I am/was fully prepared to do some work on it.

Edited by Spin Doctor 2012-03-19 9:29 AM
siseley
Reg. Jul 2006
Posted 2012-03-19 9:51 AM (#142270 - in reply to #142262)

Extreme Veteran

I also have noticed that many folks buying their first trailer may not buy one big enough for the use they will soon, (as in a couple years of use), put it too. Many folks will buy a small 2 horse straight load, and find that they want to camp, or go with another person to a show that does not have a trailer. If they had a tree horse, or a slant load, they can carry another horse, or all the junk and camping equipt that we all seem to take. I know in our case, we bought a new 2 horse slant, that was a great trailer for us for about a year, and then met a couple who were new to horses, and had no trailer. We became fast friends, and riding buddies, ( we live very rural so riding from the property is easy for about 20 miles), when we all wanted to go to the central coast of California, they could camp, but not haul horses, so they rented a crappy trailer, and the horses were not in great shape when we arrived. Now, we bought a 4 horse with 7 ft short wall, and they have a 2 horse older trailer, and we all go camp and ride in all the neat spots we want to go, as well as do the trail trials and poker rides that ETI puts on. ( They also had to sell their lousy "econobox" Ford suv car, and get a used truck to tow with.)
blackcows
Reg. Mar 2010
Posted 2012-03-19 10:21 AM (#142272 - in reply to #142268)

Extreme Veteran

Originally written by Spin Doctor on 2012-03-19 9:28 AM

I would agree that a lot over buy, but they might/should get some of it back in resale if they ever get out of it. I bought, what a lot would consider (me included) a lower end trailer -- a new Exiss 18' Sport gooseneck on an internet/bankruptcy sale. But, I just haul 4-5 very broke horses in it several times a week and an occasional roping steer. Paid 5-8k less than any mid to top line trailer. I did have to buy mats, weld in window tracks, and put new hinges on it, but still saving 4-7k. Works for me. Wonder if I ever trade/sell, what will happen? A lot, IMO, depends on if you want to have to work on it or not. On this trailer, I am/was fully prepared to do some work on it.

I agree they should get most of it back in resale but I also think that the resale price is relative, one person may pay $50,000 for a trailer and sell it for $45,000 after several years of use and another may pay $25,000 for a trailer and sell it for $22,500...one person got less money back but they also paid far less.

I think you are correct, a lot may have to do with how much work you want to do on the trailer.  After I got my first LQ I was a bit suprised at how simple most of the systems are; for instance the plumbing is just a tank, a small pump, some tubes and gravity.  I was also thankful to find that most RV stuff is fairly standard.  I had a outside vent break and thought I would have to look forever to find a matching vent for a 10 year old trailer but when I went to the RV store I found and exact match.

blackcows
Reg. Mar 2010
Posted 2012-03-19 10:22 AM (#142273 - in reply to #142270)

Extreme Veteran

Originally written by siseley on 2012-03-19 9:51 AM

I also have noticed that many folks buying their first trailer may not buy one big enough for the use they will soon, (as in a couple years of use), put it too. Many folks will buy a small 2 horse straight load, and find that they want to camp, or go with another person to a show that does not have a trailer. If they had a tree horse, or a slant load, they can carry another horse, or all the junk and camping equipt that we all seem to take. I know in our case, we bought a new 2 horse slant, that was a great trailer for us for about a year, and then met a couple who were new to horses, and had no trailer. We became fast friends, and riding buddies, ( we live very rural so riding from the property is easy for about 20 miles), when we all wanted to go to the central coast of California, they could camp, but not haul horses, so they rented a crappy trailer, and the horses were not in great shape when we arrived. Now, we bought a 4 horse with 7 ft short wall, and they have a 2 horse older trailer, and we all go camp and ride in all the neat spots we want to go, as well as do the trail trials and poker rides that ETI puts on. ( They also had to sell their lousy "econobox" Ford suv car, and get a used truck to tow with.)

I agree....I doubt you will ever hear anyone say they are selling their trailer because it has too much stoarge space.

gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2012-03-19 10:33 AM (#142274 - in reply to #142262)

Expert

I am amused by the often asked question "what is the best trailer?" My next question is always, "best for whom and under what circumstances?" There are over 150 trailer manufacturers producing wares. I can guarantee that not one person who gives their opinion of which is the best trailer, has personally compared all the products of each company.

Many people believe that if they spend more money for a product, they are getting better merchandise. As a business owner and manufacturer, I was able to see these results first hand. Some purchasers shop this way for bragging rights, others because they are misguided or ill informed.

There is a catch phrase in the industry, are you selling the "steak or the sizzle?". A plain, well built product will often be overlooked, for a chromed and glitzed up so so variant. Many people buy on solely on first impressions that only last a few seconds, instead of performing any research. Two identical trailers, one plain with a monotone colour, the other with SIMS, graphics, options hanging all over; which would be perceived to be the "best"?

In today's environment, knowledge is almost instantaneous. It's difficult for a company to produce a poor product, without the public knowing of the problems very quickly. As a result, most companies do very well making goods that the consumer wants.

There are many more good trailers being built than poor ones. Because a person hasn't seen them all, he has no way to pass judgement on who's the "best". Some trailers are more local to certain parts of the country, usually near to their construction sites, because of remote dealership and shipping concerns.

There are a few trailers that are noteably thought of as being of poor quality. But for every detractor of them, you will find other owners quite satisified. The climate in which you live, the service you expect from it, and the maintenance you perform, will greatly effect the longevity of the trailer.

Used trailers are an open book on their quality of construction. If you are looking at a ten year old trailer with normal wear, and it exhibits no breakage or deformities, and all of its parts are working, it's a good trailer. When a new, highly polished trailer sits gleaming on a lot, you have no way of knowing if the first usage will result in a breakage.

When you are shopping for a used trailer, look for the common names you've heard well about. But don't discount those you've never heard of until you inspect them. When we purchased one of our used trailers, I took a chance on driving a full day out of state for an inspection of a brand I'd never heard of. When we saw the trailer, looked it over top to bottom, we were so impressed that we agreed to its purchase on the spot. Obviously I  have been a fan of this brand ever since.

Some people buy a trailer based soley on the LQ interior. At Congress one year, I was looking at a new demo trailer, that had both rear door holdbacks completely ripped off the body. One of those doors was misaligned and not closing properly. One of the stall divider latches was inopperative. The stall area interior had no lining above a chest height, and the windows were under built for a house, much less a trailer. 

As my wife and I moved to the inside, potential customers we overjoyed with the colour of the curtains, and the "quality" of the trailer. When asked by the salesman if they wanted to sign a purchase agreement, they accepted on the spot. When I asked if they had seen the stall area, I was tersely told by the salesman "they're all the same." The customers hadn't even yet left the LQ area.

Due dilligence is necessary when purchasing anything, unless you have enough money to throw it away. Look outside your personal box, learn what to inspect, understand what you want and need, and more importantly, that which you don't. Take the negative comments of others as a heading for your check list. Don't use them as gospel, but as an aid for items to consider.

A trailer of any age and manufacturer will need repairs and maintenance. Your initial inspection will tell you if they are minor in nature or deal breakers. You should allow some extra funds for these items and any customisation you may want to include. If you have shopped well, you can then start to enjoy the many benefits your own rig will provide.

B_Ellzey
Reg. Feb 2012
Posted 2012-03-19 11:57 AM (#142282 - in reply to #142262)

Gard, I would agree with most of your observations. Most of the complaints I see and hear about are usually related to fit and finish with the possible exception of floors falling out of a particular model. Just about any trailer will get your animal(s) from point A to point B. My biggest complaint with trailers is the poor craftsmanship that is going into their manufacture. Be it pop rivets holding everything together, or poor welding. I ordered a new trailer five years ago from a lesser known company down south, and the squawk sheet on it was three pages long. The dealer addressed most of the complaints. I corrected some, and I still feel like a bought a poor trailer at a quality price. I could weld better than that when I was just learning how. My old trailer, I feel, is crap, but the manufacturer is still out there. It's rusted, it leaks (always has), the paint is peeling off, the door locks and windows look like they were installed with a hacksaw and a hatchet, but it still hauls okay locally. Do people over buy? I think sometimes you have to in self defense. Poor quality and craftsmanship I guarantee will lead to higher maintenance costs if you want to keep your trailer looking nice. So, maybe over buying isn't such a bad idea. Just my opinion
n2stitch
Reg. Jul 2010
Posted 2012-03-19 1:30 PM (#142287 - in reply to #142262)

I don't think it's possible to overbuy in terms of quality.  You can overbuy in terms of your needs - ie you haul 2 horses locally once a month, so you probably don't need a 4 horse trailer with full living quarters.  However, between 2 similar trailers, I would always go with the better built one, no matter what my intended use is and frequency of hauling will be.  I hope I'm never in an accident, but if I am, I want a well-built trailer to help protect my horses and everyone else on the road. 
3canstorun
Reg. Jul 2011
Posted 2012-03-20 8:21 AM (#142319 - in reply to #142262)

Many valid points brought up.  I think people do over buy, as stated, you only go to local shows and get a 12' slide.  What I hate as someone looking, is the unnecessary items.  I don't need lamp covers with a running horse on them.  I need good quality faucets instead.  I don't need crocodile curtain covers, I need good working windows.  I like "fancy", but if I want the size of trailer and the quality of construction I need, the "fancy" doesn't get it for me.  I like the wood to match i.e., the frames of the cabinets and doors.  Things like that bother me more.  I don't need lots of decals on the outside.  Doesn't make it haul any better to me.  My husband will get down and look at the frame, the welding etc.  Those are the important things.  Whether it is from a well known or a smaller manufacturer. 
Jaas
Reg. Mar 2009
Posted 2012-03-20 11:05 AM (#142323 - in reply to #142262)

Regular

I can only speek first hand about my situation. I grew up on a farm, with cattle and horses. A rusty old steel trailer was used until we couldn't weld it up anymore. Of coarse, we usually didn't haul very far or fast either. Our trail rides consisted of everyone riding their horses to a spot, riding through the woods, then riding back home. Every once in a while you might haul to the neighboring town to ride. If my deceased grandpa knew I hauled horses all the way to South Dakota to trail ride for a week, he'd slapped me in the back of the head! I would have never thought about hauling one of those old trailers 70 MPH + down a highway loaded with horses. Most of the time hitting 55 was doing good.

I now own the dreaded Sundowner Valuelite (probably not suppose to use manufacturer names on here anymore). I bought a used 2000 five years ago. I love my trailer. I waterblasted and re-coated the frame, ripped out the suncoat on the floor and coated with the "gard special". I just had the breaks, bearing, etc. inspected for the first time since I owned it and it all checks out fine.

My point is I paid under $10,000 for this used 2 horse with insulated DR and AC. I paid cash. I bought this trailer because this is what I could afford to spend at the time, and a lot of people are afraid to buy this trailer. I only had to drive 50 miles to purchase. I take this trailer everywhere for the last five years, and zero complaints.

Some people wouldn't put their horse in this particular trailer. I am proud to own it, as it is a considerable upgrade to my Ponderosa and tent. I don't even mind when the "high end" trailer people can't wait to run up to my campsite to make sure I know about the rusted frame and suncoat issues.

If I could afford a "higher end" trailer would I buy one. Not on credit. But that's just me. Buy what trailer works for you, on the budget you can afford. To each their own. I have the "fancy" trailer in my horse riding group!
TwoBucksRanch
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2012-03-20 1:01 PM (#142324 - in reply to #142262)

What an interesting post! As the recent purchaser of a new LQ trailer, I can totally relate to this. I wanted a higher-end trailer and shopped for one. But they were expensive, far away, not the right size, features, etc. Finally we bought a mid-range trailer and are happy to have it. I read over and over on this forum that the best trailer is the one that suits your needs and your budget. I now understand that and agree completely. My new trailer is well constructed and should give many years of service. Plus the LQ is comfortable, roomy and functional. Not fancy, but comfortable. Good size for my large horses, too. To the last poster - I also had a Sundowner Valuelite. It was a 2001 and I sold it to buy my new LQ. That trailer looked like new. Rode well, no squeaks, no leaks; it was a good solid trailer. I sold it in three days and could have sold 10 just like it. So for me the answer is yes, I was tempted to overbuy. But we are weekend trail riders with 4-6 camping trips per year with two horses, so our trailer will be fine for us. It was almost like car shopping; easy to sign the papers for a loan and easy monthly payments, but we decided it was better to pay cash than to over-trailer and go into debt.
illini
Reg. Mar 2009
Posted 2012-03-20 1:08 PM (#142327 - in reply to #142262)

Veteran

A little over 10 years ago we got back into horses. We started out with a stock trailer,sold it and bought a 2 horse staight load sundowner. Decided we wanted to do some camping so we sold the sundowner and bought a 3 horse Exiss. The Exiss was great except no air and just 4ft.dressing room. So we sold that and bought a 2 horse slant load 4star. 6ft.weekender. Each time we have been excited with our purchase.
blackcows
Reg. Mar 2010
Posted 2012-03-20 6:43 PM (#142334 - in reply to #142262)

Extreme Veteran

I am always suprised by how many "experts" there are in the field of welding.  That seems to be the thing people always talk about....I looked at the welds on trailer x and they were really poor compared to trailer Y.  First of all without cutting a weld in two I am not sure you can really judged the quality...pretty doesn't always mean good.  Also I have a hard time believing that company A has somehow cornered the market on great welders.  On a individual basis I could be convinced that a specific trailer from a company didn't have quality welds but to say that one company always has better welds than another company doesn't seem reasonable to me.
flyinghfarm
Reg. Mar 2004
Posted 2012-03-21 10:50 AM (#142343 - in reply to #142262)

Expert

Well, folks who own are more enjoyable to hear from than the folks "who heard this, or have a friend of a friend who".... you know.

Sitting out there right now are a Gooseneck brand GN stock trailer, CM GN stock trailer combo, Sundowner 2 horse BP runabout, Road Boss GN flatbed, Exiss Event SS310, and some who no one knows who made em!  We have no complaints on these....Haul cattle in the Gooseneck and CM, haul equines in the Sundowner, CM and Exiss, and hay and equipment on the Road Boss....Gravel roads and average use.  I think some folks overbuy being worried about middle of the road brands, but quality that you can afford is always a good deal, too.  What works for each person's usage and pocketbook, well, that is the individual decision. Paid for is a good thing around here....

To Much Trouble
Reg. Dec 2009
Posted 2012-03-22 3:03 PM (#142388 - in reply to #142262)

Veteran

I cant speak for other people..but I dont think I "over bought"  actually my process was very gradual to say the least... started out bumming rides and sleeping on the ground, then I got a BP and a tent, then it was a 3 horse GN w/dressing room we finished out ( very cute and very cozy)  but I wanted a kitchen and a bathroom..I hated hauling all the totes in and out with all the campng gear, camp kitchen, portapotty,etc. ...so now what I have is perfect for me GN 3 horse slant with 10 ft LQ, USED!..everything I wanted, needed and very comfy...but this process took 25+ yrs... I shopped around for my last trailer for better than 3 yrs.  When the timing was right and I had the $$..I bought and paid for in the same day..I owe no one..and thats the way I like it  ;)
RubyDoo
Reg. Mar 2012
Posted 2012-03-23 9:13 AM (#142411 - in reply to #142262)

There are folks who do overbuy, but hey, if you can afford it, go for it.  A lot of times it is hard to know what to buy. I myself, didn't buy enough trailer the first time, or the second, for that matter.  As your life changes, so  does your trailer needs.  We kept getting a little bigger. Started out with a KB 3 horse 4 ft. shortwall. Loved that trailer, couldn't see ever needing anything else. Well couple years later we are hauling more horses, and need a  4 horse. Buy one with a 6 ft shortwall and air conditioner. Thought that was just great, now we can stay overnight. Well, after a few years of the camping thing, we are tired of that. So trailer number 3 is purchased, 4 horse with living quarters.  I did get wiser this time though, bought what I could pay cash for.  2001 Sooner Revolution. Love it!   Don't plan on another till I downsize someday. Hopefully that is several years away.  Looking back, could have saved some money had we bought a  4 horse to begin with, but at that time had now way of knowing just where all this was going.

Probably for everybody that has overbought , there is just as many who under bought.   The one thing that sticks out  though, is PAY CASH if you can! 

cutter99
Reg. Sep 2007
Posted 2012-03-23 9:44 AM (#142413 - in reply to #142262)

Extreme Veteran

I would offer if you can't pay cash, use shorter term financing. Our last trailer was financed through a local bank at less than 7% interest for only 60 months. Our payment is not totally unreasonable- no more than a truck payment- and we will have it paid off shortly. I have financed trailers for 10 years and 15 years in the past and will NEVER do it again!
crowleysridgegirl
Reg. Apr 2005
Posted 2012-03-23 10:34 AM (#142415 - in reply to #142413)

Expert

we tried that but,at the time,couldn't manage anything other than a longer term on the payout.Not everyone can handle the payments on a shorter loan,plus,not all banks were willing to finance for longer than 5 years on a recreational item such as a trailer.Ours is presently with Bank of the West.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)