'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Rear tack/saddle storage add on?

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2012-03-23 10:51 AM
7 replies, 13260 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

sharoncoolidge
Reg. Mar 2012
Posted 2012-03-17 4:30 PM (#142216)
Subject: Rear tack/saddle storage add on?

I own a Circle J 2H BP slant load and need to use existing tack/dressing room for sleeping (can't afford an LQ) - does anyone know of some way of installing a rear tack/storage area? I see this feature on other horse trailers and I've seen a real cool one called "Safetack" on the Double D trailers; but wondered if anyone knows how to modify or has added one to an existing trailer? I never haul a 2nd horse and there's so much wasted space I hope to utilize for the "hu-man".
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
jackbrat
Reg. Sep 2005
Posted 2012-03-17 6:19 PM (#142220 - in reply to #142216)
Subject: RE: Rear tack/saddle storage add on?

Elite Veteran

I too have seen the awesome "safetack" option made by Double D. I want that same feature and am talking to my nearest trailer dealer to see if they can fabricate me one for my trailer. I decided to keep what I have, (2-horse gooseneck) instead of getting a new LQ or weekender. So, I guess that justifies the expenditure of the "safetack" rear tack option huh?! It will be expensive I am sure. I did see a steel one that was beige in color for sale somewhere.($500-)plus shipping.  I want aluminum as my trailer is all alum. The hinges are piano hinges? (On the safetack option)
siseley
Reg. Jul 2006
Posted 2012-03-19 10:34 AM (#142275 - in reply to #142216)

Extreme Veteran

How many saddles and bridles will you take?I saw in horse.com, ( old country supply ), catalog, a fold down saddle rack, and then put a portable tack hanger from the bottom of the rack. It is for a western saddle, and I have one in my 2 horse to use when we take both western and English saddles. ( wife rides English for shows, so we need 3 saddles for only two horses) Catalog number is; WLW05,and is on page 63 of the latest catalog. go to; www.horse.com
gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2012-03-19 3:35 PM (#142292 - in reply to #142216)

Expert

I helped an owner install a non moveable rear tack area in a slant load trailer. The walls were made of 3/4" marine plywood, and the saddle racks were purchased from Ebay. We copied the dimensions from my Exiss, and built it in an afternoon. Total cost was ~$230

The owner later painted the walls with a gloss white paint, and it looked almost like a factory installation.

jackbrat
Reg. Sep 2005
Posted 2012-03-21 1:18 AM (#142339 - in reply to #142216)

Elite Veteran

the purpose of the "safe-tack" for those of you who have not seen it...Is that it is a swing out, rear tack box that completely moves out of the back corner of your trailer if need be. It is a completely enclosed 3-4 rack, upright saddle compartment. AWESOME idea. Look at the youtube video at Double D trailers to see what it is all about. I would love one of these! I once had a mare loaded in that rear stall who decided one day, that she was going to refuse to back out of the stall she was in(last stall)She had never before offered to do this (never again afterwards either)Still to this day we never figured out what was wrong with her that day. ( Yes, this is a well trained mare with great ground manners who has had all the groundwork done) She just decided she was NOT coming out of the trailer that day! Anyways, I had the regular collapsible rear tack or folding rear tack as some call it. It took me 25 minutes to "fold" or "collapse" that stinking rear tack!( And put everythidng back into it!) I had to do this to get that mare out that day. I would much rather have the "safetack" option than the folding or collapsing rear tack.
sharoncoolidge
Reg. Mar 2012
Posted 2012-03-23 10:48 AM (#142416 - in reply to #142339)

I've contacted Double D/Safetack and its a patented design & of course not available for retrofit. I'm thinking this is a grand idea for someone to develop & sell; wish I was a welder!
sharoncoolidge
Reg. Mar 2012
Posted 2012-03-23 10:50 AM (#142417 - in reply to #142275)

I typically only take 1 saddle, but have a 2nd for "backup". I'm thinking of designing something out of plywood like the comment below and creating it on a piano-hinge so its kind of moveable. Like the Safetack (patented) design by Double D trailers who won't retrofit it into other trailers as they of course want you to buy one of their trailers, which I'd love to do, but there's this thing called money that blocks my way!
sharoncoolidge
Reg. Mar 2012
Posted 2012-03-23 10:51 AM (#142418 - in reply to #142292)

Yes, thank you. This is what I will plan on doing too. It again seems like a niche to fill - I guess I need a personal welder!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)