'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Anyone who's camped at Palisades Horse Camp near Pagosa Springs CO

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2011-10-03 8:51 AM
3 replies, 4843 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Camp & Trail  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

agfckrowe
Reg. Jun 2009
Posted 2011-09-26 10:18 AM (#137863)
Subject: Anyone who's camped at Palisades Horse Camp near Pagosa Springs CO

Does anyone have any experiences or advice to share about the Palisades Horse Camp (US Forest Service) near Pagosa Springs CO?  Some friends want to go the last week of October and I'm wondering about snow and cold temps as well as the opening of elk season.

Thanks, 

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
aceliberty
Reg. Sep 2011
Posted 2011-09-26 7:47 PM (#137871 - in reply to #137863)
Subject: RE: Anyone who's camped at Palisades Horse Camp near Pagosa Springs CO

Extreme Veteran

No, but have camped at Pagosa Springs up at Sportsman's Campground. We camped there twice the last of July/first week of August both years. Campfires felt good at night. I'd think you might be in for some fairly chilly weather! Give the forest service a call; it'd be worth the time to do so. They're good about answering the questions on your mind.
flatlandfilly
Reg. Jun 2006
Posted 2011-10-02 2:44 PM (#138002 - in reply to #137863)

Veteran

What's the altitude there? I've come through that area the middle of September and it was snowing!!! I'd plan on winter camping if you go the end of Oct. The trails may be muddy and or snowy.
Painted Horse
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2011-10-03 8:51 AM (#138014 - in reply to #137863)

Expert

I know nothing about the camp ground in question. But living in Utah, I camp and ride year round. Yes the higher elevation can get a lot of snow earlier in the year. In fact we are expecting our first snow this week for elevations above 7,000 foot. It's also the opening of Elk hunting season this coming weekend, and Deer hunting will open two weeks after that. So lots of hunters and sportsmen will be on the mountains in Utah despite the weather. My coments are more to the "Don't avoid becasue the weather may change" side. I love fall in the mountains. Depending on the weather, You may see some fabulous colors, or you may get to see the mountains with a fresh dusting of snow. Both are beautiful. Most of the west is rocky enough that mud is not a serious problem. And if the temps drop the ground will probably be frozen anyway. Fall storms don't last long. So even if you got caught in a really big storm, chances are the snow would melt off in the indian summer that follows. I can remember a October deer hunt and waking up to 2 feet of new snow and wondering how I would get my truck out of the mountain. Four days later, the snow was gone and we were basking in 70° sunshine. As far as riding horses during hunting season. The main reason I own horses, is so I can use them during the fall hunting season. I've been on the mountains every year during hunting season. I've never felt threatened or worried about getting shot. Go and enjoy the change of season. This 10,500 meadow had 8" of snow 2 days earlier 

Nothing like seeing the mountains with a fresh dusting of snow.  ( see the 2 bull elk crossing the ridge in the center)

Go prepared with some extra clothing and slickers in case you get caught in bad weather. Bring a blanket for your horses if they still have their summer hair and you will have a great time.

More often, than not, Most of October in the high country is very enjoyable. Snow is a maybe and not a promise.

I would check with Sarah's website  www.fourcornertrails.com.  She is based near Durango and has lots of trail infor for the South Western part of Colorado.

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)