'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
advice and info on those who own indoor riding arenas

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2010-02-08 3:44 PM
9 replies, 6038 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Horse Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

LazyDayHorseFarm
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2010-02-02 5:28 PM (#116064)
Subject: advice and info on those who own indoor riding arenas

I'm looking to add a covered or indoor arena to my barn and I was hoping to hear from you fine folks what you like or dislike about your arenas.

I run a fairly small boarding business on my 40 acres with at the most 8 boarded horses plus my 4. Cost is a bit of a factor, so I'm planning on keeping it around 60 X 120. What advice can you give me???  One of the biggest issues I will have to deal with is that where it is going to be built is a slope, so the first task will be to level that area.

Most of my boardesr are just trail riders, so I don't need one large enough for jumping or barrel racing, but I do want it to be practical.  I know they always say go as big as you can afford, but if I'm not mistaken, if you go beyond 60 feet wide, you will run into a much larger expense due to the tresses involved. So lets hear what you have to say.

Edited by LazyDayHorseFarm 2010-02-02 6:18 PM
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
rose
Reg. Feb 2004
Posted 2010-02-02 6:02 PM (#116065 - in reply to #116064)
Subject: RE: advice and info on those who own indoor riding arenas

The one I had built in TN was 60 by 104, trusses and posts set 8 feet apart....Since it was a pole type structure, we did not level the ground. I had a minimum 14 foot clearance, so at the low end it was about 15 feet high. I would have been fine with a 12 foot clearance and saved a few dollars. I did not have the insulation in the roof; big mistake, when conditions were just right, it would rain inside. The first structure did not have walls just railings. Added walls later. My advice would be to build a roof only structure as big as your space and pocketbook will allow with a plan for future additions.
gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2010-02-03 9:04 AM (#116084 - in reply to #116064)

Expert

I built an arena similar to Rose's, 102' x 60' x 14' high with a 30' x 102' shed on one side for stalls and storage. Total size was 90' x 102'.

Because it too is a pole structure, we had to place the pole footings in undisturbed ground, before any fill was added to level the arena. Other wise it would have taken almost a year for fill to settle enough to build on it.

We live in a snow belt area, and typically encounter heavy winds many times a year. During the previous winter, a nearby arena collapsed under a heavy snow fall. It was built to agricultural specifications. When I built mine, I used commercial roof loadings. This effectively doubled the costs for the structural part of the construction. It entails heavier trusses, more bridging between them, closer purlings and girts, and heavier section posts. It was a wise decision, and the building is still structurally sound thirty years later. We were once directly hit by a micro burst. It tore off all the arena doors, dropped a tree into one side wall, but other wise did little damage.

If you encounter heavy winds, I would recommend against building an open, roofed structure. The roof acts just like an umbrella, and by allowing the wind to pass under the roof structure, it can be easily lifted and destroyed. Only by the protection of the enclosed side walls, can you prevent this from happening.

I built our arena with 14' walls and a 5/12 pitch. The height was necessary to give the attached stall addition, the necessary roof pitch. It turned out to be a blessing. To level the arena, I had to import 935 tons of fill. This was brought in 25 yds at a time in tri axle dump trucks. Without the interior height, they could not have dumped the loads inside the arena. This holds true as well for sawdust deliveries. In addition, I built a 12' wide door into the arena. This also proves to be a wise decision, when hay wagons and delivery trucks can easily enter the structure. A second or third door on opposite sides of the arena, are necessary for proper ventilation. I've been in some barns with only one door, and it can be quite unpleasant in the summer time.

The size is adequate. When my wife was giving lessons and we had the Riding For The Handicap, two concurrent sessions could be conducted without interference. Against the advise of many, I poured a concrete center isle between the two rows of stalls. This has proven to be quite beneficial, and if I were crazy enough to tackle this job again, I would repeat the concrete pour.

Gard

Painted Horse
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2010-02-03 9:15 AM (#116085 - in reply to #116064)

Expert

The beauty is that in todays world you have so many choices.  You can build a traditional building with trusses.  You can build a steel building, you can build a fabric covered building etc.  With todays computers designing complex trusses has been greatly simplified and the cost of the trusses has been reduced compared to hand framing a roof system 30 years ago.

You will have to consider several options from building just a roof and adding walls later as Rose suggest, to what material, how energy efficient will it be, will it be insulated, wil I heat it in the winter and cool it during the summer. What size doors will I include, will the doors allow access for loads of hay or for you to park equipment/horse trailers in the barn when not in use.

I would definitely level the area.  With today tract hoe excavators, I can level an area that large pretty quick. I dig 7' deep basement for 2500 sf homes in 4-6 hours. I don't know how steep you land is, But you should be able to take a couple of feet off one side an add it to the other side of a 60 x100 area in less than a day.

Good luck

honor
Reg. Mar 2005
Posted 2010-02-03 10:34 AM (#116088 - in reply to #116085)

Regular

We built a 60 x 120 with 14 foot side walls. We needed about 50 tandem loads of dirt and couldn't find a good deal on someone wanting to have it hauled away so we had a guy come in and dig us a pond and he hauled the dirt up to our area where we needed the dirt. We had the pad built first and waited a couple of months before the barn was started. It has been up over 4 years and all the posts look good. One thing you might want to consider is how you are going to water it. They will get really dusty with not even much riding even if you have sand added. We ran pvs pipe overhead and got some inexpensive sprinkler heads from farmtek which is what they sell these for. We added three rows with four down each side and five in the middle. These adequately kept it watered. We would drain the lines each winter. The dust is very minimal during the winter months so we don't even need to water it. Good Luck
LazyDayHorseFarm
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2010-02-03 12:34 PM (#116094 - in reply to #116064)

Several of your posts have opened my eyes up to a few different factors I didn't think of. Like if I add fill dirt first, I will have to wait a very a long time before I can build on it to give the dirt a chance to settle. Also the wind issue with just a covered arena. This one I will have to think about. As far as watering, I do plan to put in some type of sprinkler system and to also add rubber chips to the sand to help with dust.

All great ideas, so keep them coming.

terri s
Reg. Sep 2005
Posted 2010-02-03 4:45 PM (#116105 - in reply to #116064)

Elite Veteran

Your address doesn't say where you live, but another thing to think about is prevailing wind direction and strength of your winds. My BIL sold metal buildings until he retired a few years ago and said it is usually cheaper in the long run to put the sides up now. But if you don't have wind issues, you may be able to get by without the sides. Some places in Kansas will side on only the north to keep the winter winds out. Just some things to think about.
farmbabe
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2010-02-03 9:05 PM (#116119 - in reply to #116064)

Expert

I have a small indoor- it was built on a hay field and the first spring the ground heaved..causing much mud..we had to use a small harrow and work it up well. It hasn't been a problem since. We have used calcium chloride in the past for dust control with very good results. Not much watering once you hit it good the first time. I wish we would have put in one access door so you didn't have to use the overhead doors all the time.
rose
Reg. Feb 2004
Posted 2010-02-03 10:55 PM (#116126 - in reply to #116064)

LazyDayHorseFarm.....you might consider looking at barn plan books, looking at other places in your area and asking what, if anything, they would change about their facility, talk to barn builders....see what they have to offer in the way of suggestions.....
Best of luck with your project.
PS I had three additions put on that original structure before selling the place and moving to Kentucky. Have now had one barn built and thinking about how to add on to it!
siseley
Reg. Jul 2006
Posted 2010-02-08 3:44 PM (#116271 - in reply to #116064)

Extreme Veteran

I was talking to a met
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'