'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Help for sand removal/sand colic prevention

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2009-12-31 1:20 PM
7 replies, 7557 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Horse Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

barstow
Reg. Feb 2007
Posted 2009-11-21 8:14 PM (#113496)
Subject: Help for sand removal/sand colic prevention

Veteran

Does anyone know if guar gum and/or flaxseed works as well as psyllium to remove sand from a horse's system?

I have used Sand Clear in the past (psyllium) but being ever so thrifty, decided to try Sanblast this time, but didn't realize it was guar gum instead of psyllium.

My horses don't love psyllium but did ok with the Sanblast. They also like ground flaxseed (Omega Horseshine) and according to some advertisers, it is also effective in removing sand from the digestive tract.

I can't find anything verifying these claims. Anyone have information on this?

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
Spooler
Reg. Aug 2006
Posted 2009-11-21 9:33 PM (#113497 - in reply to #113496)
Subject: RE: Help for sand removal/sand colic prevention

Extreme Veteran

Flaxseed won't do a thing for sand. I use Sandblaster and have been for several years, it does the trick.
Terri
Reg. Jan 2004
Posted 2009-12-25 9:44 PM (#114557 - in reply to #113496)

Expert

I use the generic metamucil from walmart.  I use the scoop that came with one of the sand products, don't remember which one but I think it holds about 5 oz.  We have a HUGE sand problem here and a daily dose of metamucil has taken care of our problems.  Well, getting rid of the sand would take care of the problem, but since that isn't possible the metamucil is the next best thing.  With 4 horses I go through about 14 lbs a month.    About $35.
barstow
Reg. Feb 2007
Posted 2009-12-26 6:19 AM (#114560 - in reply to #113496)

Veteran

I tried the generic Metamucil, purchased at Wal-Mart. It would certainly be a lot more economical, but I couldn't get my horses to eat it. Any suggestions? (I can't moisten it with molasses or applesauce as it turns to gel. Then I am guessing, it is not longer effective if it turns to gel before it gets to the gut?)
Terri
Reg. Jan 2004
Posted 2009-12-26 12:20 PM (#114566 - in reply to #114560)

Expert

I don't know if it would work any different if you premoistened it.  All my horses like the orange.  To get my gelding to start eating it I had to sprinkle it on his hay for a few days.  Now he will eat it out of my hand.
Chumley01
Reg. Dec 2009
Posted 2009-12-30 10:53 PM (#114686 - in reply to #114566)

New User

My guys like the orange flavor too!  The other stuff they wont touch. :-)
barstow
Reg. Feb 2007
Posted 2009-12-31 5:16 AM (#114693 - in reply to #113496)

Veteran

Ok, going to try the orange metamucil, see if they'll eat it. I also got a very thorough answer from the Omegashine flaxseed people regarding the effectiveness of ground, stabilized flaxseed: The soluble fiber in Omega Horseshine's stabilized ground flaxseed can protect your horses from sand colic. Please peruse info below.The stabilized ground flax in Omega Horseshine contains a high mucilage gum content (soluble fiber) that swells and takes on a gel-like consistency when it enters the digestive system -- trapping and suspending sand, carrying it out -- helping prevent impaction and sand colic. (Mucilage gum is a type of polysaccharide that becomes viscous when mixed with water or other fluids.) There is no need for adding psyllium to any of our flax-based products.There is a neat demonstration you can perform yourself that illustrates how effective the ground flax in Omega Horseshine is as a sand colic preventative. Mix Omega Horseshine with water and allow it to gel. Do the same thing with any product containing ground psyllium husks. The amount of "stickability" of each is very visible when you put a dipping or stirring stick into both the resulting mixtures. When you remove the stick you will be able to see how the material clings. When you remove the stick from the Omega Horseshine mixture, you will note the thicker "slime" or "goo" that coats the stick. This is the same slimy mucilage that forms when Omega Horseshine is fed to your horse and it is what suspends the sand, and carries it out of the horse's gut. When you remove the stick from the ground psyllium product mixture, you will note that the stick tends to "pop" free and there is less sticky "slime" or "goo".The stabilized ground flaxseed in Omega Horseshine also acts to buffer excess acid and aids in the stabilization and modulation of blood glucose.A minimum of 1/2 cup fed daily for 1,000 lb to 1,200 lb horses will help prevent sand colic in horses. Our anecdotal evidence as shared by Omega Horseshine customers over these past 22 years is that whether they are feeding Omega Horseshine in one feeding or two feedings -- their horses have been effectively protected from sand colic. Consistency with the manner of feeding is the recommendation.

If I can't get them to eat the orange stuff, I may try this next. According to many, there are many benefits, aside from the gastric purge.

Edited by barstow 2009-12-31 5:17 AM

Terri
Reg. Jan 2004
Posted 2009-12-31 1:20 PM (#114704 - in reply to #113496)

Expert

Good luck.  All but my old girl are on just alfalfa right now and they will go to the feed bucket for the metamucil first every time.  If you were trying to feed the natural, mine wouldn't eat it.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)