'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Fox trotter help

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2009-06-22 8:14 AM
4 replies, 4028 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Horse Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

mingiz
Reg. Jul 2004
Posted 2009-06-21 5:56 PM (#106755)
Subject: Fox trotter help

Elite Veteran

I have a 3yro MFT gelding. So far he has been a dream. I have taken him to the mountains and he did great for his first time. The only problem I have with him is getting him to break at the poll he tends to poke his nose out when I collect him up I'm using a full check snaffle.He just won't give to the bit and break at the poll. I'm thinking about using a side pull on him and work with his bending and getting him to break at the poll with out putting pressure in his mouth.After I get the flex I can go back to the bit. Any suggestions. I don't think this guy had a lot of basic saddle work.I have been working with him on the ground getting him to move off of pressure and he will back with your hand on his nose and break at the poll.

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
ponytammy
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2009-06-21 6:57 PM (#106758 - in reply to #106755)
Subject: RE: Fox trotter help

Elite Veteran

In order for him to break at the poll, he needs to develop back muscles and become more fit overall. Teaching him to move off leg queues while doing circles will assist with breaking at the poll. At being three and green just a quick drop in the head is very good. As you progress with asking with reins while using leg pressure until he gives and then instant release will reinforce giving to the bit. The most important thing to remember is to give instant relief at the beginning when teaching him to give. Some bending and flexing exercises will also assit is suppling the neck mucscles in order to break at the poll.

This takes time in every horse. Remember that since he is gaited, you should not have the head set low as in a Quarter Horse. The head needs a bit of elevation in order to have the nod.

ponytammy
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2009-06-21 7:01 PM (#106760 - in reply to #106755)

Elite Veteran

If you haven't already done so, have his teeth floated and wolf teeth removed. Some horses will object to bit pressure if the teeth have points and the wolf teeth are still intact.

mingiz
Reg. Jul 2004
Posted 2009-06-22 7:50 AM (#106793 - in reply to #106755)

Elite Veteran

Thanks for the suggestions.  Yes I know that he will carry his head higher than a QH. I really think he just needs more flexing sessions. He is a bit goosey when i do apply leg pressure. So i have been working on that. Overall he has done well. Just thought I would ask to see if there was something I was missing. Been awhile since I've had a youngin' Oh teeth are ok also....

Edited by mingiz 2009-06-22 7:52 AM
Painted Horse
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2009-06-22 8:14 AM (#106794 - in reply to #106755)

Expert

I've watched a couple of notable trainers start foxtrotters.  One in particular always started with the head position before he got on and started all the other gives.  He would use a gag bit and tie the reins up to the saddle horn at the height he wanted the horse to carry it's head. Turn them out in a round pen and let them work out finding a comfortable position for the head.  He said it usualy only took a couple of sessions and the horses would learn to hold their head at the right height.  He did this BEFORE he actually got on and started riding. Because he wanted the horses to learn this before he started to ask the horses for gives and in particular before he taught them to back.   His rational was that IF they know how to back up they won't raise their heads, but will back instead.

Coming from starting other breeds, I had learned to shake the reins and get the horse to lower their head as a calming queue. As my youngsters got excited during trail rides and threatened to get out of hand, I have shook them down.  so I've had to work hard at getting my MFT to lift their heads back up and flex at the poll.

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)