'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
plexi sliders?

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2009-02-21 10:55 AM
5 replies, 4451 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

trinket
Reg. Nov 2008
Posted 2009-02-19 5:32 PM (#99759)
Subject: plexi sliders?

I am thinking of buying a new LQ trailer and am looking at some with the plexiglass sliders instead of regular windows in the horse area (more like a stock trailer in back).  They are substantially cheaper than having regular windows and am wondering if the trade off would be worth the savings?  Please let me know your experience/opinions on this type of ventilation.  Does it get wet inside the horse compartment every time it rains?  Any other major disadvantages?  Thank you.
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
eclipse
Reg. Jan 2007
Posted 2009-02-19 9:30 PM (#99767 - in reply to #99759)
Subject: RE: plexi sliders?

I am on my second trailer that is a stock type with plexiglass on rails. I prefer that style for air movement in the trailer, and I haul way more in the summer than ever in the winter. During regular hauling, I only have one sheet of plexiglass in, and that is the piece that covers the rear tack area. I keep both sides open so the horses get plenty of fresh air.
I keep my plexiglass in the dressing room, and only put it up if it rains while I am camping because I set up my porta-potty and cowboy shower in my first two horse stalls. Last September, I did drive through quite a bit of rain on my way home from a camping trip. I stopped and checked the horses often. No, there was not much rain in the trailer. I think there was more "wet" from the horses urinating than from the rain.
My trailer is a 4 horse slant load stock type trailer with a dressing room that I am outfitting as a weekender camper.
For my own personal preferences, I prefer a stock type trailer. I have ridden back there in 90-100 F temperatures, and found the air flow quite comfortable. That is my biggest concern when hauling. I realize there are probably a lot of different kind of windows, but the ones I have personal experience with didn't let in much air when they are closed, and you could not safely drive with them open. Yes, I really do check out trailers by having a friend drive with me back in the horse compartment.
greyhorse
Reg. Nov 2005
Posted 2009-02-19 10:50 PM (#99769 - in reply to #99759)

Extreme Veteran

I've got that type of window too. I put them in in the winter and take them out in the summer (stored under the matress in the LQ). In the winter I really have to leave a vent or one of the other small windows on one of the doors open or it gets too hot and humid in there. I do get some water when it rains but it just runs down the wall to the floor, I think most of it gets in between the sheets of plexiglass (each side has two four foot pieces butted together).
genebob
Reg. Nov 2007
Posted 2009-02-20 11:25 AM (#99799 - in reply to #99759)

Elite Veteran

It depends on when you will be using the trailer. If you don't use it during early spring, winter, late fall you will be ok. In our part of the country I like to be able to close up the trailer but still adjust air flow with the drop down windows. I can stop on the road and have it done in an instant, whereas with plexi it will take time. You also have to have a place to store them and they will degrade over time and need to be replaced. My trailer is lined and insulated in the horse are so it is nice to have that dry and will stay warm when it gets cold.
coltaffyjo
Reg. Apr 2007
Posted 2009-02-20 8:17 PM (#99818 - in reply to #99759)

Regular

Love Hate relationship for my stock style trailer. This is my second stock style aluminum trailer. The Love part: Total heat dispersion in the summer. Horses can't stick heads out of windows. Less expensive to purchase. The Hate part: In my part of the country on any given day you might have to remove or renistall the plexi glass depending on the change or flux of the weather!!! It was 75 degrees here last weekend, snow this weekend. My third horse always gets wet when we pull in the rain ONLY when the plexi is out. With the plexi in, the trailer is quite warm and dry much to my surprise!! Drop down windows are DEFINATELY easier and quicker to deal with.....but the stock style has not and will not keep me from purchasing a trailer.........
ponytammy
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2009-02-21 10:55 AM (#99834 - in reply to #99759)

Elite Veteran

I had the drops on the head and plexi on the hip on our first small LQ. I hated it! If we hauled in the summer and a big squall came through the horses and my stuff in the stud stall got wet. We had a portable shower in the stud stall and also kept other camping supplies there. I found sliding the two sheets of plexiglass very difficult along with having to slide a piece of metal up and then attach with four screws.

However, I had drops on the head and a large peice of plexiglass on the hip on my former BP day trailer. This set-up wasn't as bad since the plexiglass was about 7 feet long. The plexi was also attached by just one screw.

So Guess it depends too on how long the horse compartment is you are looking at. I now have drops on both head and hip and much prefer this set up. I like the ability to quickly close the hip area and just use the screens for ventilation should it be raining or have a very open trailer for ventilation.

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)