'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Merhow Trailers - anyone have one?

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2008-08-26 11:34 AM
12 replies, 9384 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

gone2rodeo
Reg. Aug 2004
Posted 2008-08-22 7:19 AM (#90174)
Subject: Merhow Trailers - anyone have one?

New User

Does anyone have a Merhow trailer? Do you like it? Anyone have advice on one? I read the review & it states they have an 8 year bumper to bumper warranty. Whats the good, bad & the ugly on these trailers?
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
gone2rodeo
Reg. Aug 2004
Posted 2008-08-22 7:52 AM (#90176 - in reply to #90174)
Subject: RE: Merhow Trailers - anyone have one?

New User

Rich M.
Reg. Sep 2005
Posted 2008-08-22 9:58 AM (#90184 - in reply to #90174)

Veteran

Have a 2006 Equilite ( optioned up Equistar) with slide and showtime LQ. Solid, safe,great workmanship. Only complaint would like the larger drop downs like used on the professional line, probably will replace them in the future. Pulls great, horses quiet in it. Rich
rider3
Reg. Sep 2006
Posted 2008-08-22 11:57 AM (#90198 - in reply to #90174)

Veteran

I owned a 'vintage' 80's model- held up very well- it was the "verylite" model- alum. over steel (now Equistar).  Have friends with them,newer Equistar and older Verylite, they love them.  No complaints, good trailer for the money- much cheaper than some brands and seem more solid.    Almost bought another but the slant stall wasn't large enough for my big guy and didn't want straight load.  You can get the rumber floor in them now as well.   Best of luck!

rose
Reg. Feb 2004
Posted 2008-08-22 3:59 PM (#90213 - in reply to #90174)

I have an 05 Equilite, which is the alum over steel frame, 3 horse with 8 ft short wall and slide out. The Merhows are quality trailers; Merhow has been building trailers for 50+ years. I bought mine from Earl Johnson, Diamond J trailers in Dothan, AL. Great dealer and great trailer.

Edited by rose 2008-08-22 4:01 PM
Roger
Reg. Feb 2005
Posted 2008-08-24 1:07 PM (#90293 - in reply to #90174)

I would call Merhow and find out about that 8 year warranty. 8 year bumper to bumper is unheard of especailly if its an Living Quarters. Most have an 8 year structure warranty and a 1 year bumper to bumper. Good luck with your search.
Pleasure Man
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2008-08-24 7:04 PM (#90298 - in reply to #90174)

I'm with Roger, I would call about that 8 year bumper-to-bumper warranty.  As far as I know, 8 year bumper-to-bumper warranties don't exists.  The best bumper-to-bumper warranties, that I am aware of, belong to Kiefer Built and Sundowner (3 year bumper-to-bumper).  Kiefer and Sundowner also have an 8 year structural warranty.
tobruk
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2008-08-24 8:06 PM (#90299 - in reply to #90174)

Veteran

Merhow has had an 8 yr materials & workmanship warranty for a while.  The exclusions are the basic stuff that would be excluded in any warranty. "Excluded from this eight-year warranty are electrical and plumbing devices, windows and doors, seals and sealants, interior paint and undercoating which are warranted for one(1) year from the day of delivery to the Original Retail Purchaser."  Merhow has always stood behind their products from our observations.   Merhow does not do any conversions so any conversion is covered in that company's warranty.  Merhow stands squarely behind the chassis for 8 years.  They even warrant any exterior paint jobs for 3 yrs.                                                          

happyrider929
Reg. Jul 2007
Posted 2008-08-25 12:53 PM (#90329 - in reply to #90174)

Regular

My close friend had one for a long time, and she hated that trailer. She maintained it really well, but had a lot of things breaking that shouldn't have, minor and major. Overall, it just seemed very flimsy. After her experience, I would never buy one.
rose
Reg. Feb 2004
Posted 2008-08-25 3:57 PM (#90347 - in reply to #90174)

Just brought mine up from TN last week, with 2 big fat horses who have been on good pasture for several months.  My big mare just stood in the trailer when we got here;  she looked out and finally came out the escape door which is plenty big enuf for her.  Love this trailer still.  Pulls very well with the 06 Dodge 2500.  Merhow has been building trailers for a long time, and I would buy another Merhow. 
Amyjojacks
Reg. Aug 2008
Posted 2008-08-25 6:35 PM (#90359 - in reply to #90174)

New User

I had a '99 2H Merhow Equistar...bought it brand new and had nothing but problems with it...I hauled very broke horses in this trailer and within the first month one of my ties on outside of the trailer pulled completely out with hardly any effort and when closing one of the bus windows on the offside of the trailer, the window completely shattered! The bars on the windows were very flimsy and bent (I've seen this on more than just the model I had), the overall materials of the trailer seemed very poorly made - no substance to them, very thin...the box was a bit smaller than average (6'8 instead of the full 7'...that makes a difference, believe it or not) and I left the partition over most of the time for my big guy I hauled because there didn't seem to be enough room in the stall. The drop-down windows were too small for the average size horse to put their head through. My saddles NEVER stayed on the saddle racks in the rear tack and before I got rid of the trailer, the seams of my roof leaked (after 2 years) and it effected the electrical of my LQ to the point that nothing worked and caused over $1,200 worth of damage!! The company stated it was not their product that went bad, but the fact that I didn't check the roof every year and that every trailer's roof should be checked for this breakdown! Honestly, I had never heard of such a thing happening before that and who would have thought this would have happened after 2 years anyway??? I did like the fact that the trailer was extra tall, which helped in the LQ...BUT...Overall, I hated this trailer and got rid of it and bought an '03 Sooner 3H w/LQ and couldn't be happier...DAYLIGHT and DARK!!! I would never recommend a Merhow to anyone or buy another one...EVER! I wouldn't waste my money...with the market right now...there are better trailers out there for the money!

Edited by Amyjojacks 2008-08-25 6:37 PM
CTR Rider
Reg. Jan 2006
Posted 2008-08-25 9:12 PM (#90373 - in reply to #90174)

Veteran

I have  an 06 Merhow Equilite, 2 horse slant with 11 ft. LQ, interior by Sierra.  Love it.  Pulls great, good quality trailer.  As others have said, Merhow has been building trailers a long time.
DD_TrailerMan
Reg. Jul 2008
Posted 2008-08-26 11:34 AM (#90405 - in reply to #90174)

Veteran

we had a customer to trade a used 2001 Merhow LQ for a Double D LQ, so I got a chance to look over the trailer.  I thought it was a well built trailer, nice LQ.  We did have to fix a few minor problems but nothing major.

There are some brands of trailers that I am not impressed with but Merhow is pretty good and this trailer has held up well.

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)