'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Living quarters hookup

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2008-08-19 12:40 PM
3 replies, 4127 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

gcldixiegirl
Reg. Feb 2007
Posted 2008-08-19 9:30 AM (#89967)
Subject: Living quarters hookup

Hello Everyone!!  I have always roughed it with a dressing room trailer (6ft short wall) and am now moving on the an 8ft short wall LQ.  I am very excited about my new trailer but am wondering about a few things.  What size generator is typically needed to run the trailer?  Are there any special adapters needed to plug in my shore cord when I am at a location that provides hookups?  I have been told that when camping I should unplug the trailer from my truck or I could drain my truck battery?  Is that possible?  I am sure I will have more questions later.  Thanks
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
headhunter
Reg. Oct 2004
Posted 2008-08-19 10:03 AM (#89971 - in reply to #89967)
Subject: RE: Living quarters hookup

Elite Veteran

There have been lots of discussions about generators, and the big question is what all do you want to run with the generator?   I have a 3500 watt generator which will run everything in my trailer (A/C, microwave, blow dryer, TV, etc).  Just to be sure I'm not overloading anything I don't run the major power users all at once (A/C, microwave, blow dryer).  

Your trailer probably has an RV type plug on the end of your shore power cord.  I keep an RV extension cord in trailer, along with several adaptors that allow me to plug into a variety of power receptables.  Got the adaptors at Camping World.

I've been warned to not leave my trailer hooked up to my truck too, but have never left it that way to see if it did drain the batteries (don't really want to find out).  I have camped overnight hooked up without any problem.  If camping for any period of time, I prefer to take the weight off the back of my truck anyway so always fully unhook.

Have fun with your new trailer, I'm sure you will enjoy it!

Edited by headhunter 2008-08-19 10:26 AM
greyhorse
Reg. Nov 2005
Posted 2008-08-19 11:32 AM (#89977 - in reply to #89967)

Extreme Veteran

If the truck is wired where it always supplies power to the trailer (even when the key is off) then you will run the battery down in the truck. Most trucks aren't set up that way (and shouldn't be in my opinion). You can find adapters and extra cords at Wally world too in the camping/rv section.

You can test your plug on your truck with a simple voltage tester..... if nothing is "hot" when the key is off (and no lights on) then you're fine leaving it plugged in.

Edited by greyhorse 2008-08-19 11:36 AM
horsey1
Reg. Dec 2004
Posted 2008-08-19 12:40 PM (#89979 - in reply to #89967)

Elite Veteran

Grey- But if it is hot, and the trailer is plugged up, won't the trailer actually charge the truck's batteries?? Albeit minimally, but there will be some current flow upstream.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)