'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
question regarding battery charging

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2008-07-26 1:36 PM
22 replies, 14978 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

Lea Anne
Reg. Mar 2005
Posted 2008-07-22 9:54 PM (#87980)
Subject: question regarding battery charging

Veteran

Hi, please explain to me....does the truck recharge the trailer batteries as you drive down the road? 

Thanks

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
flyinghfarm
Reg. Mar 2004
Posted 2008-07-22 10:08 PM (#87982 - in reply to #87980)
Subject: RE: question regarding battery charging

Expert

Ours does.  Yours should, but no guarantees.

PaulChristenson
Reg. Jan 2007
Posted 2008-07-23 1:42 AM (#87991 - in reply to #87980)

Expert

Originally written by Lea Anne on 2008-07-22 10:54 PM

Hi, please explain to me....does the truck recharge the trailer batteries as you drive down the road? 

Thanks

Probably not enough to cover extensive usage of them...

perfect11s
Reg. Sep 2005
Posted 2008-07-23 2:25 AM (#87997 - in reply to #87980)

Regular

Paul is right you would need to do 100s of miles to put much in ... first you need to check if your truck is set up for it.. how it works= there is a relay that closes when the truck is running and puts a feed from the truck battery out thru the trailer wiring to your LQ battery or some times are just hooked up to the 12v part of the fridge to make that work when your on the road. you could check  that with the LQ builders ..Its best to hook up to a shore line and charge with the converter if you can..  hope this helps

Edited by perfect11s 2008-07-23 2:35 AM
Lea Anne
Reg. Mar 2005
Posted 2008-07-23 8:20 AM (#88022 - in reply to #87980)

Veteran

I have been told that you have to have a special set up in your truck wiring to charge the trailer battery and I've also been told that the truck should charge anyway.  I have a new trailer and my fridge is just a 2 way so I know it is not gonna work on battery.  Didn't know if there is something I need to add.

Thanks

gabz
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2008-07-23 4:17 PM (#88099 - in reply to #88022)

Expert

Lee Ann.

I guess the answer is, it depends on your set up.

You should probably take your rig (truck and trailer) to the dealer you purchased from (if you did), or a trusted RV dealership. They have the tools and the experience to provide you with the best answer.

Also - unless you drive many, many miles or do not use the battery very much, you will probably need to charge your trailer batteries by using a converter/charger that plugs in to an electric outlet.

Lea Anne
Reg. Mar 2005
Posted 2008-07-23 5:23 PM (#88108 - in reply to #87980)

Veteran

I think you are misunderstanding where I'm coming from.  My LQ has a converter and I know to plug my trailer into the land line to recharge.  I was just wondering if all trucks are wired to recharge the batteries, like if you were boon docking for the week end....then on the way home would it recharge?  I don't think my dealer knows because he kind of gave me both answers.  Should I ask the conversion company that installed the batteries and the converter?  Or does it have to do with my truck?  I am driving a 2004 Dodge ....don't know what else you need to know about the truck.
KeepsakeFarm
Reg. Feb 2008
Posted 2008-07-23 5:27 PM (#88109 - in reply to #87980)

Veteran

We have mostly kept our LQ plugged into the barn, but I'd like to minimize the time it needs to be plugged in, to save money.  Is there something I should keep in mind?

Lea Anne
Reg. Mar 2005
Posted 2008-07-23 5:33 PM (#88111 - in reply to #87980)

Veteran

That brings up another question, how much does it cost if you keep your trailer plugged in all the time?  Anyone know?  My husband has decided he is going to plug our trailer into one of those thermal cubes this winter, so it only charges when the temp gets below a certain point.  Anyone have any ideas?
retento
Reg. Aug 2004
Posted 2008-07-23 5:38 PM (#88113 - in reply to #87980)

Expert

Battery minders are nice....

http://www.batteryminders.com/batterycharger/home.php

http://k0swi.microlnk.com/REVIEW/BATTERY/VDC/BATTERY%20MINDER%20REVIEW%20BY%20JIM%20BAUDO.htm

PaulChristenson
Reg. Jan 2007
Posted 2008-07-23 10:25 PM (#88147 - in reply to #88108)

Expert

Originally written by Lea Anne on 2008-07-23 6:23 PM

I think you are misunderstanding where I'm coming from.  My LQ has a converter and I know to plug my trailer into the land line to recharge.  I was just wondering if all trucks are wired to recharge the batteries, like if you were boon docking for the week end....then on the way home would it recharge?  I don't think my dealer knows because he kind of gave me both answers.  Should I ask the conversion company that installed the batteries and the converter?  Or does it have to do with my truck?  I am driving a 2004 Dodge ....don't know what else you need to know about the truck.

IT depends on the installer...  Some installers will NOT wire that part of the circuit just because they don't want to hear from a customer who leaves the trailer connected to the truck and the trailer's batteries parasitically suck the truck's battery(s) dead...

Dunoir
Reg. Sep 2005
Posted 2008-07-24 6:51 AM (#88163 - in reply to #87980)

Elite Veteran

I board and am unable to keep the trailer plugged in all the time.  Duirng camping season, the night before I drive up to the barn and plug the trailer in overnight.  I have a generator to use during the campout, but don't use it all that much.  We only have a few places with electric hook-ups.

I camp about 2 x a month from Oct - April and this method seems to keep the battery charged just fine. Note I only have 1 battery, but it's only 1.5 years old at this time.  I do check it about every other month & add distilled water to it.

During the summer, I use the trailer about 3x a month and usually plug it in after each ride for about an hour.  Then about once a month I will move it up to the barn & plug it in overnight.

I would like to get a 2nd battery installed, but it will require a larger battery box.

Tresvolte
Reg. Feb 2008
Posted 2008-07-24 8:03 AM (#88166 - in reply to #87980)

If the battery is completley drained when you plug it in, it could take longer than overnight to get a full charge on it. Also, when you store the trailer, are you storing it with a dead battery, or almost dead? Try charging it for longer before you leave.

Two batteries would certainly help.

Dunoir
Reg. Sep 2005
Posted 2008-07-24 11:15 AM (#88176 - in reply to #87980)

Elite Veteran

I've yet to drain it completely and living in Fla, we ride year round, so the trailer is never "stored".  When I plug it in overnight, it's getting about 12 hours charging time and when I camp at a place with electric, it will stay plugged in for 3-5 days at a time. I am frugal with the lights, etc and have propane to run the hot water heater, cooktop, and fridge, and can run the generator for the microwave and recharging during a trip. The system seems to work fine, though I would feel better if I had 2 batteries.
gabz
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2008-07-24 2:37 PM (#88189 - in reply to #88108)

Expert

Originally written by Lea Anne on 2008-07-23 6:23 PM

We understand where you are coming from. I don't think you are listening to the answer.

NO ONE HERE can tell you if YOUR truck is set up that way.  We cannot magically see YOUR hookup through the computer.

SOME trucks are set up to recharge the batteries. SOME trucks are NOT set up to recharge the batteries.

Ford trucks come, from the manufacturer so that they key MUST Be on in order to have elec power in trailers WITHOUT batteries. Some People set up THEIR FORD trucks so that they have electricity in the trailer even when the truck is not running _ BUT - some people do not set up their FORD trucks that way. 

DO YOU UNDERSTAND? It depends on the truck and HOW it is set up.

flyinghfarm
Reg. Mar 2004
Posted 2008-07-24 7:56 PM (#88217 - in reply to #87980)

Expert

That adaptation was done to our Ford, so that the hot wire on the plug is hot when the truck is not running.  Our preference.
Lea Anne
Reg. Mar 2005
Posted 2008-07-24 8:50 PM (#88221 - in reply to #87980)

Veteran

In reply to Gabz...... We understand where you are coming from. I don't think you are listening to the answer.

NO ONE HERE can tell you if YOUR truck is set up that way.  We cannot magically see YOUR hookup through the computer. DUHHHHHHHHHH, you can't?  Your kidding?   DUHHHHHHH

SOME trucks are set up to recharge the batteries. SOME trucks are NOT set up to recharge the batteries.

Ford trucks come, from the manufacturer so that they key MUST Be on in order to have elec power in trailers WITHOUT batteries. Some People set up THEIR FORD trucks so that they have electricity in the trailer even when the truck is not running _ BUT - some people do not set up their FORD trucks that way. 

DO YOU UNDERSTAND? Geee, I don't know....that's pretty tough!  It depends on the truck and HOW it is set up.

You know, most of the folks on here seem pretty helpful.  I don't know what your problem is.  A very helpful person e-mailed me and told me how to check to see if my truck is capable of charging or not.  That is what I wanted to know.

Hope YOU have a quality day!

Lea Anne
Reg. Mar 2005
Posted 2008-07-24 8:53 PM (#88222 - in reply to #87980)

Veteran

In reply to Gabz...... We understand where you are coming from. I don't think you are listening to the answer.

NO ONE HERE can tell you if YOUR truck is set up that way.  We cannot magically see YOUR hookup through the computer. DUHHHHHHHHHH, you can't?  You're kidding?   DUHHHHHHH

DO YOU UNDERSTAND? Geee, I don't know....that's pretty tough!  It depends on the truck and HOW it is set up.

You know, most of the folks on here seem pretty helpful.  I don't know what your problem is.  A very helpful person e-mailed me and told me how to check to see if my truck is capable of charging or not.  That is what I wanted to know.

Hope YOU have a quality day!

KeepsakeFarm
Reg. Feb 2008
Posted 2008-07-24 9:53 PM (#88225 - in reply to #88111)

Veteran

Seems to add about $25 to the electric bill on the barn each month.  I'm going to open the fridge and unplug it most of the time from now on. 

gaitedpickle
Reg. Mar 2008
Posted 2008-07-25 5:43 AM (#88235 - in reply to #88221)

My truck didn't seem to keep up with my useage when we camped for a week. So I got a cheap trickle charger at WalMart and while in camps with eletric hook up, I hook the charger to the trailer battery. When camping without elec hook up. I run the charger off a honda generator each morning for 20 minutes while making coffee. Now I never have a dead trailer battery.
horsey1
Reg. Dec 2004
Posted 2008-07-25 4:44 PM (#88278 - in reply to #87980)

Elite Veteran

Not all LQ companies add a charge line. Most do, but not all. And different ones put on different pins. Usually it is on the pin labeled "Acc" or "Batt charge"- same pin, 2 names. But sometimes it will be on the center pin.
Jeepplr
Reg. Oct 2007
Posted 2008-07-25 11:51 PM (#88300 - in reply to #87980)

Veteran

Try this:

Run you battery(s) down so that you can see some discharge on the monitor panel in the LQ.  Then plug the trailer into your truck without the truck running.  Check the monitor panel to see if there is still a discharge showing, if so try starting the truck, re-check.  If still showing a discharge leave the truck run for 10-20 minutes and re-check.  If there is no change in the battery charge state my guess is your truck does not charge the trailer.

For the record, my Lakota is charged off of my Chevy truck using the cord and plug that came from the respective manufactures.

mgisse
Reg. Dec 2005
Posted 2008-07-26 1:36 PM (#88318 - in reply to #87980)

To check the charge line on your truck disconnect your battery on the trailer . Plug the trailer to the truck and turn on a light in the trailer if the light works your charge line is working . If it doesnt work start the truck and recheck.
Fords and Dodges usualy have a fuse for the charge line installed from the factory if it is a Chevy you might need to install a fuse for the charge line.
The charging system for the batteries from the truck or the converter is only a trickle charge and will take a few days to properly charge a battery. Michael
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)