'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Favorite LQ options

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2008-07-22 11:52 AM
21 replies, 6912 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

JD45
Reg. May 2008
Posted 2008-06-04 2:01 PM (#85200)
Subject: Favorite LQ options

I am about to order my first LQ trailer and have learned a lot from reading this forum. But I have not found a thread dedicated to favorite options in LQs. I was hoping to get some ideas to make sure I consider all those little conveniences, or annoyances that are not always obvious when you first buy a trailer but show up over long use.So help me out: What options and features do you like most in LQs and which ones turn out to be the most useless?
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
KeepsakeFarm
Reg. Feb 2008
Posted 2008-06-04 3:09 PM (#85206 - in reply to #85200)
Subject: RE: Favorite LQ options

Veteran

Other than storage, I think that is going to depend on your priorities.  I don't plan to use mine for more than a night or two at a time and usually where there is a shower.  So, I gave up the bathroom and it's been fine.  NO tanks to worry about this way either.  We put in a sprayer on the sink for washing hair and that works really well.

I really wanted lots of drawers and we took out the stovetop and got more counter space and added a big drawer there.  I needed a place for hanging clothes and the one we got didn't have a full length closet so we added curtain rods to the cabinets in the nose (which is a really nice option).  We have a mid size fridge with separate freezer, which my friends all say I will totally appreciated someday, but I haven't yet.  We wanted a removeable table and got a 1/2 table, with a couch, because I wanted a place to read, write, and eat.  Although we haven't removed the table for the extra floor space yet!  The walkthrough to the horse area is a must I think, as you can then use the horse area for a mudroom.  Got the awning, but haven't used it yet. 

I was more into what was in the horse area.  I really like the manger storage.  In Texas, drops front and back, or plexi in the back are important.  Stall space was important since my horses are fairly substantial.

Hope that is helpful.  Storage, storage, storage.

2bitnag
Reg. May 2008
Posted 2008-06-04 3:50 PM (#85210 - in reply to #85200)

I put in an order for a stable boy, a beer fridge and an automatic clean up system but I am still holding my breath. 

I am in the process of rebuilding my lq and so far have to agree with the storage part.....big time.

Linda Y
Reg. May 2007
Posted 2008-06-04 4:43 PM (#85213 - in reply to #85200)

Extreme Veteran

My favorites...
Storage
TV
sink
toilet
microwave
storage
oh, and lots of storage.
I had a small fridge in mine, and took it out to get more storage. I also did 1 and 2 day trips, and the fridge just wasn't all that practical for those short times. A cooler works just as well.
Only thing I wish I had was a door to the horse compartment so I could use that for more space.
HWBar
Reg. Nov 2005
Posted 2008-06-04 5:11 PM (#85216 - in reply to #85200)

Expert

If it has a separate bathroom, get a pocket door........... If you have a swinging door it will always be in the way.
crowleysridgegirl
Reg. Apr 2005
Posted 2008-06-04 5:55 PM (#85219 - in reply to #85216)

Expert

What he said.
KeepsakeFarm
Reg. Feb 2008
Posted 2008-06-04 5:58 PM (#85220 - in reply to #85200)

Veteran

Back to the horse area - I'd have loved to have the rumber flooring and we added fans and insulation to the horse area.  We also have a cowboy shower which we added a pan with hose out the back of the trailer, and a removable shower curtain for (I asked for help from this forum and got it!). 

If you are going to take other people, I saw some really neat bunk beds that doubled as storage (there's that word again) when not being used as bunks.  Outside faucets and lots of lights are nice.  I like the windows since that makes being inside not so stuffy.

flyinghfarm
Reg. Mar 2004
Posted 2008-06-04 6:32 PM (#85223 - in reply to #85200)

Expert

Big frig with freezer.  Generator with remote start.  combo micro/convection oven.  Walk-thru door, escape door on first stall, stud partition on first stall.  Mangers, on 8' wide.  Pocket door to bathroom. Awning.  Naturally AC and furnace.  Use this stuff all the time (heat or ac depending on season) every time.  Awning has deflapper and full length serious tiedown.

Can you tell we primitive camp?  Have been gone 3 weeks without a hookup.

classygirl98
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2008-06-04 9:14 PM (#85229 - in reply to #85200)

Veteran

A double kitchen sink was a must for me, lots of storage, I love my oven. I do a lot of cooking.
Painted Horse
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2008-06-04 10:25 PM (#85233 - in reply to #85200)

Expert

It really depends on what you do with your rig.

My trailer has never seen a fairgrounds. Never been to a horse show. I use mine for camp trips to the mountains.

radio or TV have no reception where I go. So unless I have a DVD or CD player they are worthless. I do use the CD player in mine (the kids more than I) Don't have or miss a TV. I go to the mountains to get away, not watch TV

I do use the awning. Beside the shade it keeps the area in front of the door dry from occassional thunder storms

Rarely do I use the shower.  I just can't carry enough water to allow me or family members to use it. If I camped in campgrounds with hooks ups that would be different, maybe I would. But in primative sites, there is not enough water to take a shower.

I use the microwave a lot. I rarely use the stove top. We do cook a lot out side under the awning. BBQ or Dutch ovens.

I have a 6.0 Fridge/freezer combo.  Use the fridge ALL the time.  In fact I keep water/pop in it all summer. Even if I'm just working in the yard, I sometimes grab a bottle of water out of it. If my wife and kids come camping, they use the freezer.  Ice cream/popsicles or just ice cubes.

Coach that folds out into a bed.  Gives us a second bed for my daughters to sleep on.  Or when I go hunting, I can let my hunting buddy sleep on it.

Furnace - absolutely. I have many many more cold nights than ever a hot night.  I've used my A/C one time. I use my furnace almost every trip. It's much cooler at 8000 foot elevation. It's nice to turn on the furnace and warm up the trailer before you get up.  It would not bother me at all to not have an A/C unit.

I love the storage under my managers.  I hate that my horses can not turn around inside the trailer because the managers make it too narrow. ( my trailer is 7'3" wide) But I would not give up the storage.

Pass through door to horses.  Like the post above, I use the horse area as a mud room.

Drop down windows head and butt. Can't get enough ventilation in the summer and when it's 10* in the winter I'm sure the horses appreciate that I can shut the windows.

I keep my portable generator in the truck bed.  It would be nice to have a built in Generator. But I won't pay the price. I use my generator for 30-45 mintues at dinner time (mostly to run Microwave or a george forman grill).  It also recharges my battery .  I may turn it on in the morning long enough to microwave some oatmeal or nuke a pastery or cinnimon roll.

A Horse water tank. I carry 30 gallons of People water and have a seperate 35 gallon tank in rear tack for the horses.

One key for all Locks and doors.

Jiffy jack for tire changes. Spare tire, dual batteries, dual propane tanks, I have an electric jack,did't think it would be a big deal, but the trailer came with it. Love it.

HiTies.  I tie my horses to the trailer a LOT at night. I am a light enough sleeper than I don't sleep at all if I tie them to the rings. With the HiTies the horses can move around and I don't feel the tugging on the trailer all night.

I don't like roof top racks.  Too hard to get the hay up and down. I also drive too many forest service roads with low hanging tree limbs that tear that stuff off.  I load the manager up with hay and put 3-4 bales in the truck bed,  It's all I usually need. If I need a little extra, Several bags of pellets easily fit under managers. But I am rarely gone for more than long weekends. Just take enough feed for 3-4 days. Plus most of the mountains that I go to have grass that I can hobble my horses and turn them loose.

Edited by Painted Horse 2008-06-04 10:33 PM
ingramacres
Reg. Mar 2008
Posted 2008-06-05 7:21 AM (#85239 - in reply to #85200)

My favorite must haves

Awning

Outside Speakers for radio

Steel floor with rhino lining

bars on drop down windows that stay up when you drop the window on the horses

AC

No heat strip! Everyone complains that they dont work

Walk through door to horse area. You will be suprized how much it opens the place up.

fold down bunk.

storage

on board quite generator

hay rack

seperate bath room with pocket door

I am sure there are more but I can not think of them right now. Hope this helps!

eclipse
Reg. Jan 2007
Posted 2008-06-05 7:49 AM (#85240 - in reply to #85200)

I need to meet Painted Horse, I think we would enjoy camping together.
I have primitive camped all my life. My dressing room is basically a permanent tent, along with a nice storage area. I am not sure it can be called a "Living Quarters". But that is me, that is what I like and what I need.

I just brought home my new trailer with 4 foot short wall, and will now start finishing out the living space. My personal criteria had more to do with the animal section. I love rumber flooring and had that put down in the 4 horse area. I had the camper door put in the short wall, as I plan a set of bunk beds for the long wall. I have a cowboy shower I can set up if I want in the first horse stall.

I agree with the storage comments. I plan on drawers and shelving under the bottom bunk, which will double as a couch. The top bunk will fold up when not in use. I already have kitchen cabinetry from my previous trailer, that nicely holds all my cooking/eating stuff.

NO generator--when I camp, I like to hear the sounds of birds, nothing else. However, camping in a trailer is a big step up for my, I used to backpack, and everything had to fit on my back. Now I just have to haul it in with the horses. Pretty luxurious!
Too L Ranch
Reg. Jul 2006
Posted 2008-06-05 10:28 AM (#85248 - in reply to #85200)

Regular

Use ours mostly for showing. The stud stall was planned, on purpose, as an extra stall. Use it as a changing/mud/dog room.
Like:
Sink
Toilet
Microwave
Heat/A/C
TV

Makes for a nice, quiet, place to hang out between classes.
Use shower when hook-up is available. Cooktop only gets occasional use.

Wish tack room was larger - over flow goes into the first stall.
Heater is noisy - use plug in ceramic one instead.

JD45
Reg. May 2008
Posted 2008-06-05 10:30 AM (#85249 - in reply to #85200)

These are all very helpful. Thanks for the comments. Several of the issues were things I had not considered.And any more thoughts would be great. I am selecting my choices this Saturday (6/7/08).
Dunoir
Reg. Sep 2005
Posted 2008-06-05 12:37 PM (#85259 - in reply to #85200)

Elite Veteran

Hydraulic hitch is fantastic!  I can hitch up or unhitch in a couple minutes. No cranking (electric is cheaper, but slower, but a huge improvement over the cranking)

I trail ride/camp and about 3/4 of the places are primitive, so I need propane to run stuff.  My generator is in the truck bed so I don't use it all that often as it gets heavy to lift out & set up.

agree with everybody else on most of the stuff:  pass through door, pocket screen door, sink, hot water heater, AC (important in Fla), use a $20 electric heater for the few cold nights, cowboy shower, dinnette, storage( never have enough) fridge, awning, & I have two rotating small fans that I love.  One covers the dinette sink cooktop area, the other in the GN. 

I board so I have to bring my food to the trailer in a cooler.  I put the food in the fridge and leave the drinks in the cooler as they stay colder & have to go in this more often.  I freeze 1/2 jugs with water & this lasts much longer than ice cubes, though I do bring ice cubes for drinks.  Bag up the ice cubes & keep in the freezer.

make sure you get propane so you are self sufficient.  Propane will run the fridge, hot water heater, cooktop, and furnace if you need one

wish I had: storage mangers, push start installed generator, shower in the LQ, and windows that crank out.  The sliding ones have to be closed when raining or it comes inside.  My next trailer will have these options if I can ever afford to buy it and pull it with these escalating diesel prices....

Qtrhorseluver
Reg. Apr 2008
Posted 2008-06-05 12:44 PM (#85261 - in reply to #85200)

Qtrhorseluver
Reg. Apr 2008
Posted 2008-06-05 12:50 PM (#85263 - in reply to #85200)

Toilet and shower are first due to being a lady and camping alot.  Next my hydraulic jack will not own another lq trailer without it.  Then, sink, awning, microwave, refrigerator and water tank.  I also have a built in cd/am-fm stereo which I use alot. And like several others would love to have a walk through between lq and horses but I just traded down for a simpler lq and it does not have one.  My other one was loaded and also financed for 12 years.   

Jeepplr
Reg. Oct 2007
Posted 2008-06-06 4:03 AM (#85292 - in reply to #85200)

Veteran

HOLDING TANKS:

Get the most fresh water you can and the largest holding tanks you can.  I have a 34 gallon fresh water  tank in the  trailer and a 55 gallon tank for my truck and only 12 gallon gray and black tanks.   

Dark curtains are good if you want to sleep beyond sun up, we are missing those too.

JD45
Reg. May 2008
Posted 2008-06-08 3:48 PM (#85397 - in reply to #85200)

Thanks for all the great responses.My wife and I picked out our options yesterday and I thought what I learned from this thread helped us make better decisions.
DD_TrailerMan
Reg. Jul 2008
Posted 2008-07-21 8:34 PM (#87865 - in reply to #85200)

Veteran

I would like a slideout grill, maybe with the steaks already on it.  hit the button, watch it slide out and start sizzlin'.  haha, haven't seen one yet though.
tom-tom
Reg. Feb 2008
Posted 2008-07-22 11:36 AM (#87907 - in reply to #85200)

Extreme Veteran

Good Luck with the new rig.  We are on our 2nd LQ and both had the remote start built in Onan gen.  If you get one get a gas; our first was propane and we had to actually take to trailer to the hardware store to hace it filled since the tank did not come off.  Kinda of a pain with a 39 ft trailer.  New one has a gas tank on the side just like your car.  If it gets low you can add more or fill it up when the pump when you fill up the truck.  You can never have enough cabinets;  also managers add lots of storage on a 8" wide. I also agree with having a large refrigerator/freezer.  It's great not to have to pack a bunch of coolers to store food and drinks in. 
Lynn0202
Reg. Jan 2004
Posted 2008-07-22 11:52 AM (#87908 - in reply to #85216)

Veteran

My bathroom door opens into the bathroom. It's never in the way. We bought a neat hanger from WalMart that has two or three rods for hanging towels/washcothes/whatever and have hung it over the door for towels etc. Pocket door wouldn't have worked for that.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)